Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Sep 1, 2022 at 6:20 AM Post #21,961 of 22,945
The shells on my left earpiece have come apart. I think the glue that keeps them together has deteriorated over several years from heat and sweat. Any suggestion what to use to glue them back together?

Sep 1, 2022 at 1:07 PM Post #21,962 of 22,945
The shells on my left earpiece have come apart. I think the glue that keeps them together has deteriorated over several years from heat and sweat. Any suggestion what to use to glue them back together?

I had the exact same problem. I tried a contact cement first, one that dries almost clear, but after 6 weeks it too gave out and the shell separated again. I also noted that the shell was slightly cracked near the MMCX connection. As this was a replacement for the original left piece, I didn't want it to get damaged any further so I went all out and used cyanoacrylate (Krazy Glue).

Alas that means if I ever have to replace the MMCX connector, the shell will have to be cut/destroyed to open them up, requiring a re-shell kit. I ordered a re-shell kit that's supposed to work with the SE846, but the interior space on these 3rd party shells won't fit the SE846 components due to two additional 'posts' to help with keeping the shell halves together.

I'm looking for another re-shell kit that will work - I took apart my original SE846 left earbud which appears to have a blown driver, but I can use the parts to test-fit them into the shell to make sure. If I find a re-shell kit that works, I'll post a link to it.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2022 at 1:21 PM Post #21,963 of 22,945
Sep 15, 2022 at 1:30 PM Post #21,965 of 22,945
Trying to figure what’s actually new... or is it the same as the original with added ‘extended’ filter and new tips?

Makes no mention of new drivers or tuning.
Exactly. It's not clear. Like, if it's just the filter, you can buy it and just stick it on the original and voila. I'm guessing they re-tuned as well but unsure.

Sep 15, 2022 at 1:36 PM Post #21,966 of 22,945
So yes... just read a couple reviews. The ‘extended’ filter is the technical difference and some fancy tips that mould to your ear shape probably similar to Azla.

I really had hoped for more. Still might be worth grabbing the extended filter.

Edit: Shure aren’t offering the extended filter as a separate purchase meaning you can only get it with the gen 2 purchase.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2022 at 2:11 PM Post #21,967 of 22,945
I must admit that I like the new half solid, half clear designs. Especially the jade.

Bet the new extended filter is actually just the TrishD mod:stuck_out_tongue:

They might not have it for sale yet, but they can't withhold it forever. Unless they genuinely expect any gen 2 buyers who lose the filter to have to buy another set of gen 2s just to reacquire them.

Sep 15, 2022 at 5:37 PM Post #21,969 of 22,945
I must admit that I like the new half solid, half clear designs. Especially the jade.

Bet the new extended filter is actually just the TrishD mod:stuck_out_tongue:

They might not have it for sale yet, but they can't withhold it forever. Unless they genuinely expect any gen 2 buyers who lose the filter to have to buy another set of gen 2s just to reacquire them.
I agree it’s still competitive but had thought they would of improved some of the driver technology by now.

Sep 16, 2022 at 12:13 AM Post #21,971 of 22,945
I thought the previous clear (high) filter is already an empty tube with no mesh. I wonder how a new "higher" filter can do better then no mesh hahaha

Sep 16, 2022 at 12:37 AM Post #21,972 of 22,945
Some more detail for the Gen 2, looks like just minor changes on the physical outlook and with an extra filter

It's funny how the Shure guys tip-toe on the question if they would sell the new filter to owners of the 1st gen. I know why, cause it would kill the upgrade path. There's no reason why they couldn't sell the filter. Only reason would be a cash grab to try to get you to upgrade. Funny situation they put themselves in. Props to the reviewer for asking that question. Shure themselves responded that the filter would be 100% compatible with gen 1.

Sep 16, 2022 at 12:44 AM Post #21,973 of 22,945
It's funny how the Shure guys tip-toe on the question if they would sell the new filter to owners of the 1st gen. I know why, cause it would kill the upgrade path. There's no reason why they couldn't sell the filter. Only reason would be a cash grab to try to get you to upgrade. Funny situation they put themselves in. Props to the reviewer for asking that question. Shure themselves responded that the filter would be 100% compatible with gen 1.
exactly. They try to dodge or find a way to explain how good and worthy that is and keeping the same cost as it was 8-9 years ago.

I still don't understand how shure promote their wireless adaptor. I may be wrong, but with only aptX™, AAC and SBC, it totally kill the sound quality.

Sep 16, 2022 at 1:13 AM Post #21,975 of 22,945
exactly. They try to dodge or find a way to explain how good and worthy that is and keeping the same cost as it was 8-9 years ago.

I still don't understand how shure promote their wireless adaptor. I may be wrong, but with only aptX™, AAC and SBC, it totally kill the sound quality.
Agree very disappointed that it is just a new filter. I have been debating getting a second SE846 but have also been waiting to see if Shure wpuld release something new. Tempted to just buy the older model now. Would like to retire my SE535 and move my current SE846 back to the TW2 adapter but I like to use my SE846 wired as well (dont like changing MMCX cables often).

While expensive, I think the Shure TW2 adapter is excellent; i am happy with mine and I paid full MSRP when it came out. They did a fantastic job with ensuring a seamless user experience and, in my opinion, the Shure TW2 + your favorite IEM (does not have to be Shure) is still hard to beat in terms of sound if you are looking at just true wireless IEMs and dont care about ANC or the size of the case. I think people put too much emphasis on codecs when impelentation and tuning are just as, if not more, important.

I cringed when they changed the subject from filters by focusing on colorways and the importance of the clear case. That was awkward but agree I am glad the reviewer asked the question.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back