Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
May 2, 2022 at 10:24 AM Post #21,842 of 22,960
Does anyone know if these went on sale last black friday/christmas? Even with the the 20% off they are still out of my budget - any other brand/model I should be looking at instead?

Searching the deals thread, I found that the 846 goes on sale fairly frequently. Not just for Black Friday or Christmas, but for Amazon Prime Day as well. Prices during these sales have been trending downward as well. It's never a guarantee that these sales will repeat, but the odds are good. Subscribe to that thread and someone will certainly post any deal on them that comes up next time around. Best of luck.

Amazon Prime Day deals:

Shure SE846+BT1 wireless earphones at $700 down from $1000:
https://www.amazon.com/Shure-SE846-CL-BT1-Isolating-Communication/dp/B07C758PD2

Other Shure wireless earphones can be found on this page at 30% off:
https://www.amazon.com/apb/page/ref...rName=OctopusDealLandingStream&deals=d6038ffb

Some Audio-Technica listed there too, including the Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT wireless headphones at $130 down from $200:
https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50xBT-Wireless-Bluetooth-Headphones/dp/B07HKVCVSY

Shure SE846 with BT1 Bluetooth cable for $630, down from $1000 MSRP or $700 for Black Friday deals elsewhere, sold and shipped through Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C7JB7P5

About four years ago, the 846 was my first high-end purchase, the first time Head-Fi got me to spend money, and my first quality IEM. Still holds up, though I like a brighter signature these days.

Philips X2HR headphones for $100, down from $130, on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N5VHLUG

I know that's been posted a dozen times already, but it continues the theme. The X2/27 was my first headphone ever, and still evokes some intense nostalgia from me. The X2 was the gateway drug that got me hooked on headphones, making me realize that I could never settle down and be a monogamist with my 846. A solid option to this day.

So, both great deals as far as I am concerned.

Shure SE846 Clear & Black with Bluetooth 5.0 and Wired Accessory Cables $549 in B&H

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...bt2_se535_sound_isolating_earphones_with.html

Shure SE846 Sound-Isolating Earphones with Bluetooth 5.0 and Wired Accessory Cables (Clear & Black) $549 in B&H

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...bt2_se535_sound_isolating_earphones_with.html

May 2, 2022 at 10:59 PM Post #21,844 of 22,960
Hi. While sleeping, my SE846 dropped to the floor from bed height (approx. 50 cm). I read BA are relatively sensible to impact damage. Shall I worry from such impacts?
The components are tight in there, I personally wouldn't worry. However, I would worry about the plastic shells. I have both the 846 and KSE, and I haven't found the shells aren't durable over time. Particularly, the seams in both my Shure's have eventually started to break down (little plastic pieces about the seams crack off). I had my reservation about Shure's build quality upon buying, but wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt. Plastic can be durable. Unfortunately in this case, not so much.

May 3, 2022 at 4:54 AM Post #21,845 of 22,960
The components are tight in there, I personally wouldn't worry. However, I would worry about the plastic shells. I have both the 846 and KSE, and I haven't found the shells aren't durable over time. Particularly, the seams in both my Shure's have eventually started to break down (little plastic pieces about the seams crack off). I had my reservation about Shure's build quality upon buying, but wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt. Plastic can be durable. Unfortunately in this case, not so much.
This is exactly what’s happened to my left earpiece. The glue has turned a brown colour between the seams and started to crack off. The metal nozzle also wiggles a bit and the black gaskets inside the earpiece that meet the nozzle have started to wiggle, so much that I can hear it click inside my ear if I open my jaw or turn my head. After 7 years I’m wondering if I should buy them again or go for something else. I think the Unique Melody MEXT could offer more and build upon the 846 sound signature for a couple hundred more bucks. I could get a replacement left and right earpiece but you’re not saving that much.

Anyone know if there are any Shure 846 sales/ bargains out there online currently? I’m not looking to buy a second hand set.

May 3, 2022 at 5:57 AM Post #21,846 of 22,960
Interesting… my own set is now about 7-8 years old and shows no signs of wear although I used them as my daily drivers for several years over this time. I do take care of them of course, but they had a drop or another

May 3, 2022 at 12:46 PM Post #21,847 of 22,960
Interesting… my own set is now about 7-8 years old and shows no signs of wear although I used them as my daily drivers for several years over this time. I do take care of them of course, but they had a drop or another
Ditto. Mine have travelled the world for many years and while I am not reckless with them they are not cosseted and have hit the ground on a few occasions. Perhaps I need to be more careful going forwards

May 3, 2022 at 8:39 PM Post #21,848 of 22,960
Searching the deals thread, I found that the 846 goes on sale fairly frequently. Not just for Black Friday or Christmas, but for Amazon Prime Day as well. Prices during these sales have been trending downward as well. It's never a guarantee that these sales will repeat, but the odds are good. Subscribe to that thread and someone will certainly post any deal on them that comes up next time around. Best of luck.
Thanks so much for all the help! I somehow missed the deals thread...

May 4, 2022 at 1:26 AM Post #21,849 of 22,960
I only have the original Mojo.
I did try some other cables with only marginal differences in the long run IMO.
You can try one of the cheaper Fiio copper cables, they were quite a good much.
Supposedly a silver core cable improves the highs but might bring out some harshness especially if one has sensitivity to high frequency.
I did try a couple of more expensive cables and they do work pretty well - Labkable Amethyst with 846 but the cost is almost the same as the 846, so no point.
Yeah I think I might either go for a mix copper+silver or silver
There is quite a lot of buzz on XINHS for the cheaper end, not sure if they are as good as the Fiio ones. All these entry cables are giving me a headache, there are just too many options. I'm thinking of just going for a reputable one like Effect Audio. I've got their Chiron and it is really good, but I'm not sure about their entry level ones. Have you tried any of their cables?

May 4, 2022 at 1:43 AM Post #21,850 of 22,960
I did try a couple of more expensive cables and they do work pretty well - Labkable Amethyst with 846 but the cost is almost the same as the 846, so no point.
Yeah I think I might either go for a mix copper+silver or silver
There is quite a lot of buzz on XINHS for the cheaper end, not sure if they are as good as the Fiio ones. All these entry cables are giving me a headache, there are just too many options. I'm thinking of just going for a reputable one like Effect Audio. I've got their Chiron and it is really good, but I'm not sure about their entry level ones. Have you tried any of their cables?
Never tried any of these.

May 4, 2022 at 1:44 AM Post #21,851 of 22,960
Curious if the people who have the issues with them have real Shure’s or if they’re a copy. Be careful where you buy from. I’ve had mine for years. Actually had a previous pair sold them and then I had to buy them back. Just missed the awesome sound and got the TWS2 to make them my everyday use headphones now.

May 4, 2022 at 1:47 AM Post #21,852 of 22,960
Just a heads up if you have issues with them contact shure. They take care of you like no other. I had some old shures I think they were like the e4’s and the wire started to wear. They replaced them for me and gave me the new version and I just needed to pay a small replacement cost. That was pretty awesome and save me quite a bit of money with an upgrade.

May 4, 2022 at 5:57 AM Post #21,853 of 22,960
Never tried any of these.
Would recommend Labkable and Effect Audio for their higher end cables. Do give them a try if you ever get a chance to.

Curious if the people who have the issues with them have real Shure’s or if they’re a copy.
I didn't know thats an issue. Now I'm wondering if mine could be a fake. Is there a way to find out?

May 4, 2022 at 9:03 AM Post #21,854 of 22,960
Mine are genuine and were bought directly from Shure. The glue inside the shell has changed colour and is disintegrating. I do workout in them often and have been doing so for several years although the glue issue is only on the left earpiece. The gaskets have completely rubbed off from tightening the screwing on and lastly the black gaskets in the inner part of the shell where it meets the nozzle wiggle around to the point I can hear them moving around in my ear. I still feel like I got my money’s worth and after several years of use Im eyeing up another set now. I think the 846 is a great iem and one of the most comfortable but technology has improved and I think hybrid ba / dynamic and bone conduction drivers are the future. Unique Melody MEXT and Empire Ears Evo / Legend X have shown through bone conduction that you can feel the bass improving on the experience in ways that the 846 cannot.

May 22, 2022 at 4:37 PM Post #21,855 of 22,960
Did you end up getting them repaired? What was your experience like? I also bought my SE846s second hand and am curious about this.
I did not end up getting them repaired. What I ended up doing was buying new earpieces for 300ish each. I still have the right earpiece which is in working order, and the left piece which I believe requires a new mmcx connector. It's quite an easy repair actually, as long as you have decent soldering skills and the right equipment. I know Vesper Audio does repairs like this all the time, and I've heard nothing but good things. The only thing that was stopping me from getting repairs done by them is they're located in Belarus, and I was a bit uncomfy sending my 846 that far.

Be careful of the housings splitting on each earpiece, that's something I and some other people have experienced. It may not look like it, but there's actually a very small seam that runs through the middle of each earpiece, and that's where they start to split. The clear models also tend to get foggy and cloudy as they age. If your housings split like mine, I've heard of people using e6000 glue to reseal them, and it was something I considered doing as well.

I got brand new se846 earpieces so I'm satisfied, but I recently acquired a set of Campfire Andromeda, so I may end up selling on the SE846 depending on my preferences. With the blue filter mod though, I really feel the 846 hold up very well in comparison. The bass on the Andromeda is not as textured, but punchy and has good depth. Mids are slightly recessed on the Andromeda, but that allows you to experience a lot more of the high frequencies. Despite that, I still found myself missing the beautiful smooth natural vocals that you get with the 846. They did improve on this with the andromeda 2020, but I have a 2017 edition. They're quite different iems really, the SE846 sound extremely intimate, while the Andros give you a much bigger soundstage which is preferable for some. Treble detail is better with the andromeda, sometimes I feel it's a bit too much as I'm quite sensitive to higher frequencies but my ears will probably get used to it. Overall they're very different iems for different people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back