Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Oct 3, 2020 at 6:51 AM Post #21,031 of 22,945
He does know, but does not. Reste an account on Full purpose... he might even think that I infect him with enough headphones and he therefore does not need additional black holes for his money.

but I have to say that's condiction got much better over the years: I went through the rabbit hole (Abyss etc.) and came out with minor scratches (mostly of financial nature, but also mental due to senseless discussions with cable believers etc.) on the other side, where the grass is always green and one can live happily with midrange headphones/in-ears. That's where I think real value lies, such as the SE846: phenomenal value given that I now own and use them for more than 5 years. I grew to like Shures slow approach to advances, which does not throw perfectly valid models under the marketing bus of a new thing that is barely better yet sports a new color.

I consider the SE215 very good value as well. Many musicians use them for monitoring even, so they seem to hold up very well.
Have you ever heard the andromeda? How do you think it compares to the se846?

In Thailand they are almost in the same price range

Oct 3, 2020 at 8:11 AM Post #21,032 of 22,945
Have you ever heard the andromeda? How do you think it compares to the se846?

In Thailand they are almost in the same price range
The original green one yes. Quite OK, but never bought them, i.e. did not like them enough. Plus they are heavy and have edges to their shell that did not inspire confidence in long-term comfort...

Oct 3, 2020 at 8:51 AM Post #21,033 of 22,945
The original green one yes. Quite OK, but never bought them, i.e. did not like them enough. Plus they are heavy and have edges to their shell that did not inspire confidence in long-term comfort...
Ohh ok :)

Oct 3, 2020 at 10:13 AM Post #21,034 of 22,945
What’s the most improve aspect from upgrading to se846 from the se535?

I've personally never auditioned the SE535, but one obvious big difference is the bass implementation. Plus the possibility to change the signature through filters. A friend recently acquired the SE535 and I hope to be able to give it a listen soon... he is very happy with it.

Definitely the bass although the separation and soundstage are much improved as well. Sometimes when I am listening to live recordings with the SE846, I feel like someone may have yelled out something or clapped next to me and get goosebumps when I realize I am alone and it was from the recording. It just feels more realistic to me than the SE535s (I own both and use both all the time still).

Oct 3, 2020 at 10:15 AM Post #21,035 of 22,945
Definitely the bass although the separation and soundstage are much improved as well. Sometimes when I am listening to live recordings with the SE846, I feel like someone may have yelled out something or clapped next to me and get goosebumps when I realize I am alone and it was from the recording. It just feels more realistic to me than the SE535s (I own both and use both all the time still).
Thanks . Are the mids and vocals better on the se846 too ?

Oct 3, 2020 at 11:14 AM Post #21,036 of 22,945
Thanks . Are the mids and vocals better on the se846 too ?

Clarity is definitely better on the 846. i have been using my SE535s EQd a bit with a Qudelix 5K and it sounds fantastic (sounds clearer to me). I think the 846 is perfect as it is (for my preferences at least)

Oct 3, 2020 at 11:17 AM Post #21,037 of 22,945
Clarity is definitely better on the 846. i have been using my SE535s EQd a bit with a Qudelix 5K and it sounds fantastic (sounds clearer to me). I think the 846 is perfect as it is (for my preferences at least)
Ok I will try to demo them thanks :)

Oct 3, 2020 at 11:20 AM Post #21,038 of 22,945
Oct 3, 2020 at 11:22 AM Post #21,039 of 22,945
SE846 os worth every penny IMO. If you are not on a hurry, they do go on sale and you can find them new for less than MSRP.
Yeah in thailand the preown can be pretty low sometime too . Like 400 usd . I have seen as low as 350 but condition may not be so good. I’m fine with preown because can get to own many more for same money.

Oct 6, 2020 at 2:48 PM Post #21,040 of 22,945
These are one of the most popular (and one of first the HQ) IEMs ever made. At its release time, they used to represent TOTL IEMs class. However, nowadays the popularity went down, imo (it's good price-wise though) as many TOTL IEMs were released after them which wasn't the case before. If you're looking for a comfy IEMs with good dynamics, bass and if you make the effort to search for a good price... why not. However, I'll be looking for something more up to date at the moment. On the other hand, you can't go all that wrong with se846.

In comparison to ie800s and Andro, their sound is much closer to ie800s. Andro is a better all-arounder.
I

Oct 7, 2020 at 7:49 PM Post #21,041 of 22,945
I'm the 'trishmod' Trish. I bought 'my first' SE846 a couple? years ago, but they are entirely ruined, and I can't get around to getting to a UPS store to mail them to Shure. I'm EITHER going to buy another SE846, OR I was considering the Rai Penta.

I love to listen to music - it gives me such a 'high'.... Right now I'm mostly listening to Keane and Morrissey, and this new youtube song just blows me away - so good IMO - the Tom vocals and his high, high notes - WOW. I like to feel like the singer and rest of band is 'right there', and I want the sound to be 'FULL!!' and have all that incredible 'definition' of all going on in the music which the SE846's does. Music literally gets me HIGH, and is peak life experience, in my life. I use the blue neutral 'tube thingy's. One note: I use little mp3 players - which I ruin over and over - so I just can't spend much on those - I've been buying SanDisk ClipSport''s which are about $50 retail (Note: I tried the Fiio ('1'.....'1'... is what I remember) that is supposed to work best with the SE846 (apprx. $300?), but it has awful glitch and you wind up with a 'black screen' and it's hopeless to fix, so I would never throw money away on that brand again).
So do you think I should just buy the SE846 again, or is there any reason to buy Rai Penta?
Also, this time I read a lot about 'drivers' - SE846 I believe has 7. The Rai Penta has 'a driver' and also 'hybrid drivers?' I have no idea if that's important.
TYIA if you answer me!
And PS: I want to do the 'trishmod' if/when I get the new SE846 (which I expect I'll be buying online within the next 3 days) - is that something I'll be able to do myself (I'm NOT techsavvy and likely to wreck things)?

Oct 7, 2020 at 7:56 PM Post #21,042 of 22,945
I'm the 'trishmod' Trish. I bought 'my first' SE846 a couple? years ago, but they are entirely ruined, and I can't get around to getting to a UPS store to mail them to Shure. I'm EITHER going to buy another SE846, OR I was considering the Rai Penta.

I love to listen to music - it gives me such a 'high'.... Right now I'm mostly listening to Keane and Morrissey, and this new youtube song just blows me away - so good IMO - the Tom vocals and his high, high notes - WOW. I like to feel like the singer and rest of band is 'right there', and I want the sound to be 'FULL!!' and have all that incredible 'definition' of all going on in the music which the SE846's does. Music literally gets me HIGH, and is peak life experience, in my life. I use the blue neutral 'tube thingy's. One note: I use little mp3 players - which I ruin over and over - so I just can't spend much on those - I've been buying SanDisk ClipSport''s which are about $50 retail (Note: I tried the Fiio ('1'.....'1'... is what I remember) that is supposed to work best with the SE846 (apprx. $300?), but it has awful glitch and you wind up with a 'black screen' and it's hopeless to fix, so I would never throw money away on that brand again).
So do you think I should just buy the SE846 again, or is there any reason to buy Rai Penta?
Also, this time I read a lot about 'drivers' - SE846 I believe has 7. The Rai Penta has 'a driver' and also 'hybrid drivers?' I have no idea if that's important.
TYIA if you answer me!
And PS: I want to do the 'trishmod' if/when I get the new SE846 (which I expect I'll be buying online within the next 3 days) - is that something I'll be able to do myself (I'm NOT techsavvy and likely to wreck things)?

A replacement se846 is always a good idea. After all these years, they’re still relevant. Where are you located? You probably want to wait for all of the upcoming sales to see what kind of deal you can get. I purchased mine during an Amazon Prime Day.

I you want to try something different, I can make several other recommendations, depending on what you want.

Oct 8, 2020 at 3:27 AM Post #21,043 of 22,945
@trishd asking in the SE846 thread might skew the result a bit, but nevertheless I'm still *very* happy with mine after more than 5 years. Now using them with the RMCE-TW1 Bluetooth adapter and I just love their sound. I've had lots of other headphones and in-ears in these 5 years, and almost all of them are long gone... Would my pair be defective, I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.

Oct 8, 2020 at 12:08 PM Post #21,044 of 22,945
Fundamentals. This is often what makes a keeper. When you try headphone after headphone, there are many headphones with a lot of exciting elements, outstanding traits, and may be the leaders and unbeat in certain areas, but if the fundamentals are flawed/lacking, one often prefers a less unique product in favor of one with all the core elements in good working order. Basically, a good headphone is ultimately uncompromising and simply does all the needed elements very well. The Shure SE846 fits this pretty well. This has been the hallmark of Shure for a long time. They hit center mass well, get the fundamentals sorted, and they tend to focus their signature sound not so much on coloration but rather clarity and separation as well as remaining mild enough in note energy or sharpness not to be fatiguing or sensitive to source quality. They're just always good and find a solid balance.

The only gripe I have with them is their need for amping. This is especially true for the bass drivers, but the clarity and presence of note seems to require solid amperage behind it to work. For example, I don't get as nearly a good sound plugged into my phone versus my amp/dac, and I don't have this same sensitivity with many other IEMs. For me, it's the one compromise you're stuck with if you want to hear these as good as they can be. Without adequate power, you might be left somewhat disappointed at the lesser presence, even coherence, and the weak bass. The difference is more noticeable than I'd like to see, especially because it also seems to affect coherency some, not just a little less bass. The sound as a whole isn't as good, and the sensitivity to this is bigger than a lot of other products I have and have used.

Oct 8, 2020 at 2:49 PM Post #21,045 of 22,945
@mvw2 the effect you describe may be due to the low impedance of the SE846, which, combined with its rather uneven impedance curve over frequency makes it rather sensitive to the amps output impedance. Generally less than 1ohm is recommended for the SE846.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back