Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Aug 26, 2020 at 6:57 PM Post #21,002 of 22,944
Cu
Personally I don’t have much confidence in MMCX either, but fortunately I did not have any problems so far. But I don’t change too often, since I don’t use them wired anymore... I‘m very happy with the RMCE-TW1 I recently acquired, so they’ll stay in that configuration for a while I guess.

curious if you have tried to switch from the A-215 to the 846 on the app. I did it and it sounds much louder. Trying to see if there’s a difference in sound aside from just being louder.

Sep 7, 2020 at 9:12 AM Post #21,004 of 22,944
Sep 20, 2020 at 10:14 AM Post #21,007 of 22,944
On a product thread with over 1400 pages for a product that was released over 7 years ago, this post is surely redundant. Anyway, I bought a pair of Shure se846 earphones on eBay for $475 and I love them. Replaced the stock cable with a FIIO LC 3.5C on Amazon. It's a way better cable and very comfortable and fits nicely. I use the standard foam tips and they seem to provide the best fit and sound isolation. Going to try some others as well. I use the Fiio BTR5 bluetooth DAC along with the black filters in the se846 as it provides the sound signature I prefer most. Use my iPhone and spotify for source music. This is a really great mobile solution when I can't be tethered to my headphone tube amp. I am going to check out the new Ultimate Ears custom ear tips that they are launching on 10/1/20. If I can get them for $200 or less, I am going to go for it. The only thing this set up is missing is sidetone so that I can hear my own voice on the phone or when talking to a person in my office.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2020 at 10:19 AM Post #21,008 of 22,944
I forgot to mention, I think all you need are the 2 earphones and the nozzle tool with 3 pairs of filters if you want to purchase a used set on eBay. That's because you are going to replace the cable and ear tips anyway. If you look for that on eBay, you can probably get a set for under $450. You can buy everything else you need separately including spare parts. I lost the nozzle, black filter and left ear tip on a walk. I was able to replace it from a distributor I found in the UK. Only took a week for shipping.

Sep 20, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #21,009 of 22,944
On a product thread with over 1400 pages for a product that was released over 7 years ago, this post is surely redundant. Anyway, I bought a pair of Shure se846 earphones on eBay for $475 and I love them. Replaced the stock cable with a FIIO LC 3.5C on Amazon. It's a way better cable and very comfortable and fits nicely. I use the standard foam tips and they seem to provide the best fit and sound isolation. Going to try some others as well. I use the Fiio BTR5 bluetooth DAC along with the black filters in the se846 as it provides the sound signature I prefer most. Use my iPhone and spotify for source music. This is a really great mobile solution when I can't be tethered to my headphone tube amp. I am going to check out the new Ultimate Ears custom ear tips that they are launching on 10/1/20. If I can get them for $200 or less, I am going to go for it. The only thing this set up is missing is sidetone so that I can hear my own voice on the phone or when talking to a person in my office.
Got any links to the ultimate ears tips? Also you can get Custom Art tips now for around $100 I think not including shipping.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2020 at 12:00 PM Post #21,010 of 22,944
Sep 20, 2020 at 12:39 PM Post #21,011 of 22,944
I did check out the Sensaphonics custom ear sleeves, but I decided against them. I was at first attracted to the $150 price point. But, that price does not include the $50 color surcharge which is added to almost all of the custom sleeves. In addition, you need to get the ear prints from an audiologist. I priced it out and it was another $150 for them. Plus if I had to get my ear wax removed that would have been another $50. $400 for custom sleeves for earphones that cost $475 didn't make any sense. I decided it would make more sense to save the money and purchase some high end custom IEMs later than waste it now on expensive custom sleeves.

What is good about Ultimate Ears is that they have a home kit which should eliminate the audiologist from the cost. But it depends on their price.

Furthermore, it might be interesting to see if Ultimate Ears can take a Universal IEM from someone like 64 Audio and fit it with custom sleeves. Then, you could purchase a used set and make them custom. That would be cool.

Sep 20, 2020 at 1:24 PM Post #21,012 of 22,944
I did check out the Sensaphonics custom ear sleeves, but I decided against them. I was at first attracted to the $150 price point. But, that price does not include the $50 color surcharge which is added to almost all of the custom sleeves. In addition, you need to get the ear prints from an audiologist. I priced it out and it was another $150 for them. Plus if I had to get my ear wax removed that would have been another $50. $400 for custom sleeves for earphones that cost $475 didn't make any sense. I decided it would make more sense to save the money and purchase some high end custom IEMs later than waste it now on expensive custom sleeves.

What is good about Ultimate Ears is that they have a home kit which should eliminate the audiologist from the cost. But it depends on their price.

Furthermore, it might be interesting to see if Ultimate Ears can take a Universal IEM from someone like 64 Audio and fit it with custom sleeves. Then, you could purchase a used set and make them custom. That would be cool.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/custom-ear-molds-for-iems.830823/

Sep 20, 2020 at 3:23 PM Post #21,013 of 22,944
Sep 26, 2020 at 7:40 PM Post #21,014 of 22,944
I just got my SE846 in the mail today and, coming from the SE425, I'm blown away. They're used but perfect condition and only have the blue filters, but am looking forward to getting a set of white filters to brighten them up. Hopefully it won't impact the bass too much because it's so awesome. I'll also be looking into filters mods in case that's a better route to take. Absolutely incredible. I let me mom listen to her favorite song and it gave her goosebumps and got her choked up.

Sep 27, 2020 at 7:20 AM Post #21,015 of 22,944
I just got my SE846 in the mail today and, coming from the SE425, I'm blown away. They're used but perfect condition and only have the blue filters, but am looking forward to getting a set of white filters to brighten them up. Hopefully it won't impact the bass too much because it's so awesome. I'll also be looking into filters mods in case that's a better route to take. Absolutely incredible. I let me mom listen to her favorite song and it gave her goosebumps and got her choked up.
I also had the SE425 before the SE846 and for all the positives of the 425s I was totally blown away by what the 846 does, enjoy the ride!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back