Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jun 10, 2020 at 1:10 PM Post #20,852 of 22,945
Have a glue issue on my 425s (at the seams on one side). Thought about sending it in with my 535s (area by mmcx connectors finally cracked after 10 years) but realized it is just glue they used since it just peeled off pretty cleanly. Anyone tried replacing it with any specific type of glue? The area rubs against my ears and is annoying.

My 846s are fine for now as they are much newer but wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happened over time

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2020 at 6:06 AM Post #20,853 of 22,945
Just got these.
I did not like them at all. Then I found the right sleeves.
I started with the standard medium foam sleeves that come attached, plugged into my ADI-2: disappointment. The soundstage had the width of the box the SEs came in.
Moved on to the soft-flex sleeves, the type I've grown up with. More comfortable, but kept slipping out of my ear. It's a summer day- my ears were feelin the heat. Combined with the weight of the stock cable and the IEM itself, it wouldn't stay in my ear for more than 30 seconds.
The smallest foam sleeves were good. They made the 846s sound a bit better than a pair of B&O earphones I had in 2016.

Then, I found them. I had almost given up on these $900 IEMs. I thought- the reviews are great, they've been popular for nearly a decade; there's clearly something I'm missing.
I looked inside the case again, picking through the 'fit-kit'. At first glance, I had thought they were little buoys that clipped on so the SEs wouldn't drown in water.
Boy was I wrong.
The m'fn EAYLF1s. These little, yellow bastards finally revealed the sound I had been hearing about.
It really is all about creating the seal. The seal allowed me to feel the bass, and extend the soundstage.
Looking into custom molds already.. unless anyone suggests not to..

tl;dr - make sure you try all the sleeves, to find the best fit and create a proper seal.

I like the sound signature a lot. Good amount of bass, not too much to overshadow mids.
I'm not sure about the cable. It came kinked, even though it looked to be coiled properly in the box. The kinks don't seem to be be working themselves out, and it's making the cable 'lopsided'. It falls heavy on the left, and I can't work out how to fix it. Anyone have ideas?

I don't love the stiffness of the upper wrap-around part of the cable. I think I read it's kevlar reinforced, which explains the stiffness. It's just too.. stiff! The bend goes high above my ear. Feels strange, looks strange.

Has anyone here found a nice replacement or upgrade cable?

Jun 14, 2020 at 6:43 AM Post #20,854 of 22,945
Just got these.
I started with the standard medium foam sleeves that come attached, plugged into my ADI-2: disappointment. The soundstage had the width of the box the SEs came in.
Moved on to the soft-flex sleeves, the type I've grown up with. More comfortable, but kept slipping out of my ear. It's a summer day- my ears were feelin the heat. Combined with the weight of the stock cable and the IEM itself, it wouldn't stay in my ear for more than 30 seconds.
The smallest foam sleeves were good. They made the 846s sound a bit better than a pair of B&O earphones I had in 2016.

Then, I found them. I had almost given up on these $900 IEMs. I thought- the reviews are great, they've been popular for nearly a decade; there's clearly something I'm missing.
I looked inside the case again, picking through the 'fit-kit'. At first glance, I had thought they were little buoys that clipped on so the SEs wouldn't drown in water.
Boy was I wrong.
The m'fn EAYLF1s. These little, yellow bastards finally revealed the sound I had been hearing about.
It really is all about creating the seal. The seal allowed me to feel the bass, and extend the soundstage.

tl;dr - make sure you try all the sleeves, to find the best fit and create a proper seal.

I like the sound signature a lot. Good amount of bass, not too much to overshadow mids.
I'm not sure about the cable. It came kinked, even though it looked to be coiled properly in the box. The kinks don't seem to be be working themselves out, and it's making the cable 'lopsided'. It falls heavy on the left, and I can't work out how to fix it. Anyone have ideas?

I don't love the stiffness of the upper wrap-around part of the cable. I think I read it's kevlar reinforced, which explains the stiffness. It's just too.. stiff! The bend goes high above my ear. Feels strange, looks strange.

I also had big issues with comfort of the cable.
I bought a linum superbax cable.
Really happy but it’s an expensive cable (coming from someone who doesn’t believe very much in cables making a difference).
There a **** cables that are cheaper and free of memory wire as well if I recall correctly

Jun 14, 2020 at 6:45 AM Post #20,855 of 22,945
I also had big issues with comfort of the cable.
I bought a linum superbax cable.
Really happy but it’s an expensive cable (coming from someone who doesn’t believe very much in cables making a difference).
There a **** cables that are cheaper and free of memory wire as well if I recall correctly

Been looking at the Linum. Looks nice, but it is a high price. Do you have the ear-hook version?

Do you remember the name of the cheaper option?

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2020 at 6:50 AM Post #20,856 of 22,945
Been looking at the Linum. Looks nice, but it is a high price.

Do you remember the name of the cheaper option?
You can use any cable with MMCX connectors. I’ve found Tripowin C8 and Zonie 16 cables to work well, and you can get them with balanced and single-ended plugs.

Jun 14, 2020 at 7:00 AM Post #20,857 of 22,945
Just took my SE846 out, its on its third year now but mostly been kept since im more into 2 ch home audio.

When I was hooking up the cables, I notice these foggy areas in each of the iems on the neck holding the cables. Is this normal? I havent noticed anything bad on the sound.
Here are some closeup shots from both the L and R 846.
40158816-0661-4891-89ED-D23F76A76A79.jpeg67AABBBA-1597-4BBA-B167-25D21D5AC357.jpeg
Yes it is normal, it’s on my pair as well. I think it’s adhesive. 7983AE67-76AE-4284-A819-32574BB7AD98.jpeg
What a relieve, thank you @Cosina 👍
Just inspected my pair, it looks the same. Yes, seems to be glue.
It’s normal. :thumbsup:
Thanks for all of that.
I noticed that with mine a while ago and thought i had damaged them swapping cables or it was a manufacturing fault. Then did nothing about it because i had no sound issues.
Then I regretted not looking into it.
But happy to read your posts

Jun 14, 2020 at 7:38 AM Post #20,858 of 22,945
Just got these.

Boy was I wrong.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/low...se-bang-for-buck-cable-thread.891911/page-289

Jun 14, 2020 at 1:53 PM Post #20,859 of 22,945
Jun 14, 2020 at 10:56 PM Post #20,860 of 22,945
@Gefell thanks for the recommendation on the Comply P-large tips foam. It gave top end extension to my se846s. The isolation is so much comfortable than any of the stock tips and it sounds wonderful.

I’ve ordered the DFC as well as the lavricables lightning-usb and their master pure silver cable mmcx with aeco pure copper plug to replace my old cable. I look forward to some more improvements to my mobile setup (iphone X, lightning/3.5mm adaptor/qobus hires) which I never really complained about.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2020 at 8:15 AM Post #20,861 of 22,945
Just got these.

Boy was I wrong.

I can never recommend Headphone Lounge enough, his T2 silver cable is unbeatable imo. Handmade high quality cables at some of the best pricing. And the customer service is unbeatable, I've been using Ted Allen close to 10 years now and he always responds within the hour and is super accomodating.

Jun 15, 2020 at 12:49 PM Post #20,862 of 22,945
So about a month and half ago I sent my 846 in for repair due to a crack in the case. I got back brand new ones which included the removal nozzle and a blue (neutral) filter installed. Today I decided to look at just how far the sponge is inside. What I discovered was that the two sets of blue filters have them inserted differently. It’s not by much but would this alter the sound in any discernible way.

5CEB9D82-502C-4E75-8E4F-16BF6EACF0F3.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2020 at 6:59 PM Post #20,863 of 22,945
Opened mine today...

Have previously owned the 535s (red LTD) which were exquisite, and currently have a pair of 215s kicking around.

the initial verdict... I’m slightly underwhelmed. Mids and highs are good, but not much happening with the bass. The whole sound seems quite flat. I think the seals of the tips are fine, so maybe I need to play around with these tube inserts? Or perhaps they need some burning in?

(also, the player is new - AK SR15 unboxed yesterday), so maybe that needs some burn in.

Jun 18, 2020 at 7:11 PM Post #20,864 of 22,945
So about a month and half ago I sent my 846 in for repair due to a crack in the case. I got back brand new ones which included the removal nozzle and a blue (neutral) filter installed. Today I decided to look at just how far the sponge is inside. What I discovered was that the two sets of blue filters have them inserted differently. It’s not by much but would this alter the sound in any discernible way.

Yes, the position of the foam within the nozzle can have a measurable impact on frequency response. This is especially true for all BA IEMs, as they are particularly susceptible to FR change via dampening.

In fact, one of the most popular modifications for the 846, the “trishd” mod, is simply pushing all the foam to one end of the blue nozzles.

Here’s a link to the trishd modification, in case you want more information.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2020 at 7:19 PM Post #20,865 of 22,945
Opened mine today...

Have previously owned the 535s (red LTD) which were exquisite, and currently have a pair of 215s kicking around.

the initial verdict... I’m slightly underwhelmed. Mids and highs are good, but not much happening with the bass. The whole sound seems quite flat. I think the seals of the tips are fine, so maybe I need to play around with these tube inserts? Or perhaps they need some burning in?

(also, the player is new - AK SR15 unboxed yesterday), so maybe that needs some burn in.
What source are you using?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back