Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Nov 25, 2018 at 4:10 AM Post #19,756 of 22,945
Thanks
Hello everyone, I've been using my SE846 with the Sony WM1A from a few days but unfortunately, even with the volume at zero, I hear the hissing that slowly increases when I raise the volume. I also listen "little crackles" at every step of the volume. Does it happen to you too? With the balance, will things be better?

Thanks, Andrea.
A babe!

Nov 25, 2018 at 5:14 AM Post #19,759 of 22,945
Do you mean that it is a well known "problem" and that it is not possible to solve? It's not that annoying, because when music plays you do not hear anythig, I was just curious to know if it happens to others.
They are a highly sensitive IEM. And, if there's hiss coming from your source, it's more likely to be heard through the 846. I only own SE sources, so I can't tell you if it would get worse with balanced. But, with double the components in the balanced circuit, I'd guess it would increase the background hiss. I hope someone with a balanced source will weigh in.
PS: Just tried to glance at your feedback page, and got an error. Might want to have a quick look.
Kevin

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 25, 2018 at 9:18 AM Post #19,760 of 22,945
They are a highly sensitive IEM. And, if there's hiss coming from your source, it's more likely to be heard through the 846. I only own SE sources, so I can't tell you if it would get worse with balanced. But, with double the components in the balanced circuit, I'd guess it would increase the background hiss. I hope someone with a balanced source will weigh in.
PS: Just tried to glance at your feedback page, and got an error. Might want to have a quick look.
Kevin
Thanks a lot for the tips and also I believe that the output balanced will not improve things. As soon as I get the cable suitable I will make a try. For the moment the Sony wm1a sounds really beautifully with the Shure, the Sennheiser ie800 and with the Z1R too.
For the feedback page, I don't know what to say. I think it stretches of the old links of feedbacks related to the market forum: deleted :smile_phones:

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2018 at 1:35 PM Post #19,761 of 22,945
Hello everyone, I've been using my SE846 with the Sony WM1A from a few days but unfortunately, even with the volume at zero, I hear the hissing that slowly increases when I raise the volume. I also listen "little crackles" at every step of the volume. Does it happen to you too? With the balance, will things be better?

Thanks, Andrea.

I have a set of 846's I use with a WM1Z. Both dead silent using stock 2.5 and balanced ALO reference 8 cable. Is this a new problem you are experiencing or have you always noticed the hiss. The Sony WM1A/Z are know to be silent even with the most sensitive IEM's. I have a pair that have a impedance of 6 and are still dead silent. Sorry you are experiencing this.

Nov 26, 2018 at 5:03 AM Post #19,762 of 22,945
I have a set of 846's I use with a WM1Z. Both dead silent using stock 2.5 and balanced ALO reference 8 cable. Is this a new problem you are experiencing or have you always noticed the hiss. The Sony WM1A/Z are know to be silent even with the most sensitive IEM's. I have a pair that have a impedance of 6 and are still dead silent. Sorry you are experiencing this.
Thanks Ryan.
Again, this is not a serious problem at all because hissing is not intrusive and does not affect listening for me.
Of course, now I find curious that the people who own the same dap and the same iem do not have the "problem". Could it depend on the fact that I unlocked the volume with the rockbox procedure?

Nov 26, 2018 at 5:36 PM Post #19,763 of 22,945
In my case I do not believe I can hear those frequencies anymore. 62 year old punk rock abused ears.

Dec 1, 2018 at 7:21 PM Post #19,765 of 22,945
Just picked up a pair of these last week after loosing my Shure SE535's. I must say, I'm very happy with them. The bass increase is substantial, and even with the standard filters, I feel like the treble roll-off isn't as aggressive as the Shure SE535? Either way, I'm enjoying the sound signature. The low-end increase has proven useful when using these as monitors for my Roland e-drum kit too.

I think these are end-game for me. I've gone from JBL 220 Reference Earphones > Mee Audio M6 Pro > Shure SE535 > Shure SE846.

Dec 5, 2018 at 11:01 PM Post #19,766 of 22,945
So I hooked these up to my RME Fireface UFX II -- what a treat! At first, I noticed there was some background hiss due to the high-level output. Switching the port to low-level output (-10 dVB @2 ohms) fixed that issue.

Picture here of setup: https://imgur.com/a/CIFFz8Z

The bundled bluetooth headphone adapter isn't the greatest. 3 possible alternatives are the Fiio BTR3, EarStudio ES100, and the new Shure RMCE-BT2. The BTR3 seems to be the most affordable here in Australia, but after hooking up the SE846 to my UFX II, I'm not sure any of these bluetooth adapters are going to be suitable :)

Dec 6, 2018 at 11:54 PM Post #19,767 of 22,945
Do you mean that it is a well known "problem" and that it is not possible to solve? It's not that annoying, because when music plays you do not hear anythig, I was just curious to know if it happens to others.

Well I own the 1z dap and se846 , tia forte, empire ears phantom, that click with the changing volume you talk about I do feel it to it makes some pops clicks but it dont bother me at some higher volume lvl you can hear the click louder! though I also hear a small amount of hiss but once start listening to music it so low you dont even pay attention to it really... My tia forte has the least hiss among my 3 iems ...

Dec 9, 2018 at 10:11 AM Post #19,768 of 22,945
Thanks Ryan.
Again, this is not a serious problem at all because hissing is not intrusive and does not affect listening for me.
Of course, now I find curious that the people who own the same dap and the same iem do not have the "problem". Could it depend on the fact that I unlocked the volume with the rockbox procedure?
I picked up on this on sony webpage for that media player

"Enjoy clear, precise, dynamic sound with balanced audio. With a new ø0.17" balanced standard plug, noise picked up from the wire to the amplifier is reduced. The result: superior sound, delivered with clarity"

I would definately say yes, go for the balanced cable! And dont cheap out. Get one for atleast 70$ or much higher. Get proper cables though, i thinks its called TRRS. I got myself these
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B072KF8M1Y/ref=oh_aui_i_d_old_o0_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

but had 50usd import fees so it cost me 110usd. But they are pretty well good for the price. I tried cheaper ones and the poles are screwed, bad.

Im using the shure se846 with onkyo dp-x1a balanced cable and spinnfits 240.

I got no hiss at all, it seems the sony has very low output impedance so i guess you should not hear any hiss. However go for the balanced, the audio is very superior :)

Dec 9, 2018 at 2:04 PM Post #19,769 of 22,945
Well I own the 1z dap and se846 , tia forte, empire ears phantom, that click with the changing volume you talk about I do feel it to it makes some pops clicks but it dont bother me at some higher volume lvl you can hear the click louder! though I also hear a small amount of hiss but once start listening to music it so low you dont even pay attention to it really... My tia forte has the least hiss among my 3 iems ...

Not sure what pops and clicks you are referring too, my WM1Z doesn't have this problem with ant IEM or headphone I own or have demoed with the 1Z using 4.4 or 3.5. Also dead silent using low gain, although if a switch to high gain and crank the volume all the way up I can hear a little hiss with the 846's...although I would never using this amount a volume for any reason. \,,/

Dec 13, 2018 at 6:14 AM Post #19,770 of 22,945

Users who are viewing this thread

Back