Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Dec 13, 2018 at 7:34 AM Post #19,771 of 22,945
Wow... great review, as always. I just purchased these for a lengthy business trip to use with a Sony NW-A55. I use the default filters with the olives.

Like you, my first "nice" 'phones were an early SE420.

One of your test tracks (Amber Rubarth's "Tundra") was already on my Walkman, but never listened to. My jaw dropped listening to that track with these IEMs.

IMG_20181208_115044.jpeg

Dec 13, 2018 at 10:25 AM Post #19,773 of 22,945
Dec 13, 2018 at 1:05 PM Post #19,774 of 22,945
Been using Shure's BT2 wireless receiver with my SE846 for the past couple days and am pleasantly surprised. I'm usually critical about wireless solutions, as their SQ pales in comparison to wired. But something just sounds right out of the BT2; it's well-rounded and balanced. Plenty of detail with aptX HD out of my Note 9. Of course, the sound of my Mojo or Micro iDSD BL have the edge in regard to impact and depth, but man, the convenience of wireless is now a lot more attractive. Definitely a lot better solution than true wireless earbuds. I also the Senn MTW and Sony WF-1000X, and they can't hold a candle to the SE846 + BT2. I'm travelling tomorrow and looking forward to seeing how this setup holds up.

Dec 13, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #19,775 of 22,945
Somewhat late to the party .......

Shure SE846 IEM review posted - https://www.headphone-earphone.reviews/2018/12/13/shure-se846-iem-review-stunning/

Nice job @Brooko - better late than never :)

I think I spotted one small typo: "...normal asking price of up to $100"? If that's not a typo, please share your secret purchase link! :wink:

There's a definite perception out there in headfi-land that something that's a) newer and/or b) more expensive must logically be superior. I think the SE846 have held up really, really well. I've still not found any (non-electrostat) isolating IEM that I'd be happy replacing them with. I agree about the treble roll-off, but there's a host of things you can do with filter mods to help lessen that: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/se846-filter-mod.802350/

Dec 13, 2018 at 1:30 PM Post #19,776 of 22,945
Just picked up a pair of these last week after loosing my Shure SE535's. I must say, I'm very happy with them. The bass increase is substantial, and even with the standard filters, I feel like the treble roll-off isn't as aggressive as the Shure SE535? Either way, I'm enjoying the sound signature. The low-end increase has proven useful when using these as monitors for my Roland e-drum kit too.

I think these are end-game for me. I've gone from JBL 220 Reference Earphones > Mee Audio M6 Pro > Shure SE535 > Shure SE846.
Andromedas blow them away for an extra $200. Just converted from the 846's, they are obsolete.

Dec 13, 2018 at 1:41 PM Post #19,777 of 22,945
Andromedas blow them away for an extra $200. Just converted from the 846's, they are obsolete.
I wish the Andromeda isolated like the SE846 and fit in my ears properly, but they don't :frowning2:

For the life of me I can't understand how Ken is able to engineer such fantastically-tuned IEMs, but then decides to put them in the most ridiculous uncomfortably-shaped shells you could possibly imagine. He gets all the difficult stuff right and then chooses some weird psilocybin-inspired aesthetic shape over basic comfort and fit.

Dec 13, 2018 at 1:48 PM Post #19,778 of 22,945
I wish the Andromeda isolated like the SE846 and fit in my ears properly, but they don't :frowning2:

For the life of me I can't understand how Ken is able to engineer such fantastically-tuned IEMs, but then decides to put them in the most ridiculous uncomfortably-shaped shells you could possibly imagine. He gets all the difficult stuff right and then chooses some weird psilocybin-inspired aesthetic shape over basic comfort and fit.
I agree. I am getting custom sleeves from snug.com this weekend for the andros. But, yes, the se846 is super duper comfortable, no doubt. After fiddling with the Andros for 4 days now, I know how to seat them comfortably, but its still a pain. The 846's spoiled me.

Dec 13, 2018 at 1:55 PM Post #19,779 of 22,945
I agree. I am getting custom sleeves from snug.com this weekend for the andros. But, yes, the se846 is super duper comfortable, no doubt. After fiddling with the Andros for 4 days now, I know how to seat them comfortably, but its still a pain. The 846's spoiled me.
@moedawg140 had snugs (and a bunch of other custom tips) for his Andros, but I don't think he ever found the sweet spot with those. Maybe he can comment...?

The problem with all these custom tips is they change the sound. (The longer bore length drops the resonant frequencies.) Maybe you'll like the sound, but there's also a risk you won't, and there's no getting your money back on these custom products. Good luck and let us know how they work out!

Dec 13, 2018 at 3:13 PM Post #19,780 of 22,945
@moedawg140 had snugs (and a bunch of other custom tips) for his Andros, but I don't think he ever found the sweet spot with those. Maybe he can comment...?

The problem with all these custom tips is they change the sound. (The longer bore length drops the resonant frequencies.) Maybe you'll like the sound, but there's also a risk you won't, and there's no getting your money back on these custom products. Good luck and let us know how they work out!
I certainly will. My problem is my left ear canal takes a nasty downward turn, so the sound is slightly out of wack. I usually compensate by boosting the left channel a tad, but its never right. I am hoping the custom sleeve will get the sound past the bends and give me better sound. If the tonal quality changes, hoping I can just get used to it. The Andros seem to have such an authoritative sound, I'm hoping it will blast through any tonal changes (if that makes sense).

Dec 13, 2018 at 3:57 PM Post #19,781 of 22,945
Somewhat late to the party .......

Shure SE846 IEM review posted - https://www.headphone-earphone.reviews/2018/12/13/shure-se846-iem-review-stunning/

Nice review as always. On the subject of tips I believe that the westone star and tru fit tips also fit the shure nozzles if you didn't know (which you probably did). I just wish universals fitted my ears better as I would love a pair that isolate as well as shure seem to. Customs have just been a pita for me as well.

Dec 13, 2018 at 5:28 PM Post #19,782 of 22,945
Nice review as always. On the subject of tips I believe that the westone star and tru fit tips also fit the shure nozzles if you didn't know (which you probably did). I just wish universals fitted my ears better as I would love a pair that isolate as well as shure seem to. Customs have just been a pita for me as well.

Thanks - nice to know about the Westone tips. Because of my time with Shure earphones in the past, I grew to love the Olives. Comfortable, hard wearing, and the large are decent size for shallow fit (large canals)

Dec 13, 2018 at 10:42 PM Post #19,783 of 22,945

Yes, the Campfire Andromeda appear to be a favourite judging by reviews. There are a couple reasons why I didn't pick them though:

1. They are twice the price in Australia. I managed to grab the Shure SE846 on sale for $744AUD. The Campfire Andromedias are $1600AUD here (possibly cheaper on sale).
2. Comfort. I didn't audition the Andromedas, but my previous experience with the Shure SE535 was that they were quite comfortable to wear for long sessions. The Shure SE846 also rates well in this area. Perhaps the andromeda are just as comfortable; I don't know. I happen to use my in-ear monitors professionally on stage, so these things need to be comfortable while performing.

Anyway, if the Andromedas were in the same price bracket here in Australia, I would have tried them out for sure, but at double the price, I couldn't justify it.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2018 at 11:28 PM Post #19,784 of 22,945
I always take it with a grain of salt when someone uses phrases like "blow them away", and "obsolete".

the Andromeda are a very special earphone - but like many others, I find them uncomfortable long term. Any designer who puts internal angles against your ears needs to learn their craft a little more IMHO. If I had the choice between the SE846 and Andro as they are - I'd take the SE846 every time. If the Andro was in a different shell, and isolated a little better - would be a hard choice for me. But that hardly indicates one is massively superior and one is obsolete :wink:

Dec 14, 2018 at 8:53 AM Post #19,785 of 22,945
I always take it with a grain of salt when someone uses phrases like "blow them away", and "obsolete".

the Andromeda are a very special earphone - but like many others, I find them uncomfortable long term. Any designer who puts internal angles against your ears needs to learn their craft a little more IMHO. If I had the choice between the SE846 and Andro as they are - I'd take the SE846 every time. If the Andro was in a different shell, and isolated a little better - would be a hard choice for me. But that hardly indicates one is massively superior and one is obsolete :wink:
I'd trust your opinions, since you rightfully disapprove of hyper-explanitives. That being, have you had a chance to listen to the Andromedas yourself? I may have missed it in your review, but I'd be curious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back