Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Nov 21, 2018 at 9:05 PM Post #19,741 of 22,945
Hello,
for Christmas, i'd like to see if the balanced out of my FIIO X7 can realy give a different, upfully noticely better sound than the standard out of my Shure 846.
Honestly, i doubt about it, but i'm curious and ready to pay!
Any suggestion?
Do you mean upgrading to a balanced cable for the 846? Or do you mean getting the balanced module for the FiiO X7? If it's a cable you want, Ted Allan of Headphone Lounge makes some nice ones. I bought the silver LITZ, which was an improvement over stock. If it's about the X7, couldn't tell ya.

Nov 21, 2018 at 11:02 PM Post #19,742 of 22,945
Hello,
for Christmas, i'd like to see if the balanced out of my FIIO X7 can realy give a different, upfully noticely better sound than the standard out of my Shure 846.
Any suggestion?

I have a WM1Z and been using it unbalanced with my 846's for a couple months, I recently bought a ALO reference 8 cable....WOW! what a difference across the board, I'm not sure what helps benefit the sound more, although I'm sure it's more the players balanced output. But I will say this cable is a thing of beauty. Cheers!

https://www.aloaudio.com/shop/reference-8-iem/

Nov 22, 2018 at 7:58 AM Post #19,744 of 22,945
I have a WM1Z and been using it unbalanced with my 846's for a couple months, I recently bought a ALO reference 8 cable....WOW! what a difference across the board, I'm not sure what helps benefit the sound more, although I'm sure it's more the players balanced output. But I will say this cable is a thing of beauty. Cheers!

https://www.aloaudio.com/shop/reference-8-iem/
100% agree, and am running the same ( using a WM1A) here.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2018 at 8:02 AM Post #19,745 of 22,945
(I did do the blue filter mod though)

What modification is this? ( edit, found it!) Does these mods have any affect on the bass?

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2018 at 9:08 AM Post #19,746 of 22,945
What modification is this? ( edit, found it!) Does these mods have any affect on the bass?

It seems I have a later model (that has two foamies in the blue filter. Older models seem to have one foamie

I took out only one foamie, not both.
Taking out two, made the sound too bright for me.
Having two in, the Shures were too dark for me

To answer your question:
Taking out one piece does influence bass a bit,

......But the SE846 are not short on bass anyway
You should try for yourself. Doesn't harm and can be made undone just as easily

Nov 22, 2018 at 1:29 PM Post #19,747 of 22,945
Does the se846 sound better with a balanced system?

Better? Well, it all depends....In my case with a ALO reference 8 cable, sensaphonics molds and using the blue filter, YES! right off the bat they are much louder. Sound signature is greatly improved as well, soundstage is wider, lows get a bit tighter and punchier, the overall imaging seems to widen a bit. The highs seem pretty close, maybe a bit more detail & air...but overall the same. I will say going balanced with my add ons and using the Sony WM1Z using the white filters is a much improvement, gone are the harsh sibilant tones. I still prefer the bue, just thought I'd share that. Cheers!

Nov 23, 2018 at 9:07 PM Post #19,749 of 22,945
Hello,
Any suggestion?

I just received and tried FIOO RC-MMCXB cable for the last hour, and to my surprise, i do think there is noticable difference in sound clarity using the balanced side of the FIOO X7(i do hear more things and more clearly, and for all frequency), and a little more left and right separation. I don't know to wich extend my desire to validate my purchase is making me hear that, and since it was hard to unplug the cable from ty Shure 846, i will not take the chance to break anything and do another test soon with the Shure cable. I have to say that the FIIO cable feel on the cheap side also, i don't know if it will last long since i don't realy take much care of them. But the experience is good, so if it breaks, i'll go with a more expensive boutique cable.

Nov 24, 2018 at 12:13 PM Post #19,750 of 22,945
Hello fellow SE846 owners!

I bought my 846's about 5 months ago, and I love them. But looking at all the new IEM's coming out, it's making me wonder if I am missing something. How do the 846's hold up? Are they obsolete? Are they still contenders? Do I have to spend $1500, or $2000 on a new pair of Iem's to get that 'next level' sound, or are the 846's eternal classics that hold their own against all these new-fangled, quintriple driver, super resonant chamber tuned ceramic doojingies? Should I be content and happy in Shure 846 land, knowing I have the IEM to take me all the way, or should I sell them and buy a pair of Solaris hybrids or JH audio wonder buds?? Please advise!

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2018 at 1:07 PM Post #19,751 of 22,945

I bought my 846's about 5 months ago, and I love them. But looking at all the new IEM's coming out, it's making me wonder if I am missing something. How do the 846's hold up? Are they obsolete? Are they still contenders? Do I have to spend $1500, or $2000 on a new pair of Iem's to get that 'next level' sound, or are the 846's eternal classics that hold their own against all these new-fangled, quintriple driver, super resonant chamber tuned ceramic doojingies? Should I be content and happy in Shure 846 land, knowing I have the IEM to take me all the way, or should I sell them and buy a pair of Solaris hybrids or JH audio wonder buds?? Please advise!
I have had them for 5 years, I enjoyed them during this time and they have held up well. But I am finding that new IEMs have overtaken them. E.g., I have recently done comparison tests in to InEar Stagedriver 5, similar price range, but more satisfying. And although really not comparable as they are open and considerably more expensive, I am currently using Audeze LCDi4 and they simply blow the 846’s away. I will continue to use the 846’s for air travel as they are closed and have great isolation, but it will be with thoughts of getting back to the LCDi4’s.

Nov 24, 2018 at 1:45 PM Post #19,752 of 22,945
I have had them for 5 years, I enjoyed them during this time and they have held up well. But I am finding that new IEMs have overtaken them. E.g., I have recently done comparison tests in to InEar Stagedriver 5, similar price range, but more satisfying. And although really not comparable as they are open and considerably more expensive, I am currently using Audeze LCDi4 and they simply blow the 846’s away. I will continue to use the 846’s for air travel as they are closed and have great isolation, but it will be with thoughts of getting back to the LCDi4’s.

That's fair enough, but a wholly unfair comparison. The topologies are so different it's literally comparing an open back planar to a closed back. Really the only fair way to answer this would be with comparisons to ~£800, small form factor, sealed BA IEMs. No doubt tech had progressed, but for what the 846 offers there isn't a competitor out there I could find, apart from perhaps some of Westone's offerings. It's certainly not obsolete by any means.

Nov 24, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #19,753 of 22,945

They still hold up well: world-class bass for an IEM, and lush fluid mids. The treble leaves a lot to be desired, although some people prefer the more laid-back signature of these. Honestly, I wouldn't pay full price for them now, but if you enjoy them does it really matter?

Nov 24, 2018 at 2:15 PM Post #19,754 of 22,945

They hold up quite well. I'd be careful about dipping into the JH pond. I have a small problem with my Angies in that they're scued to the left. The JH site gives a list of things they will not service, fix or honour. I won't buy from them again.
I wouldn't call their treble bad. They have great mids and the bass and treble complement quite nicely. If I could afford something new, I'd like to try those 64 audio 18T or something high-ended like that. But, I've owned the 846 for a long time now, and still use them regularly. Small size, and in-ear comfort and great sound.

Nov 25, 2018 at 3:29 AM Post #19,755 of 22,945
Hello everyone, I've been using my SE846 with the Sony WM1A from a few days but unfortunately, even with the volume at zero, I hear the hissing that slowly increases when I raise the volume. I also listen "little crackles" at every step of the volume. Does it happen to you too? With the balance, will things be better?

Thanks, Andrea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back