Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Nov 11, 2018 at 3:09 PM Post #19,711 of 22,943
Pointless discussion, on that I think we can agree. But obviously not on mich else, so best to leave it at that.
Regarding the not inherent features of balanced operation i‘d suggest reading what Rob Watts has to say about that.
I agree that Rob makes a good case for SE, especially in the case of HPs. All that extra circuitry is just more tricky to match up. Just the same, there seems to be a fair number of people that claim better staging and other sound benefits from balanced. I've never had the opertunity to A/B the two. But, I'm wondering if balanced might be a bit of an overkill for the 846.

Nov 11, 2018 at 3:25 PM Post #19,712 of 22,943
I agree that Rob makes a good case for SE, especially in the case of HPs. All that extra circuitry is just more tricky to match up. Just the same, there seems to be a fair number of people that claim better staging and other sound benefits from balanced. I've never had the opertunity to A/B the two. But, I'm wondering if balanced might be a bit of an overkill for the 846.

I find that for IEMs, balanced tends to make a difference less often and often less of a difference overall. With the 846, I can certainly hear the positive difference that it makes to the refinement of sound (things like soundstage, imaging, and separation, even bass resolution), but the change in FR, while small, is a change in the wrong direction, IMO. I could see preferring SE over balanced because of that. In fact, I prefer using SE on the Black Label over balanced on the DP-X1 for the Shures.

Balanced certainly presents more engineering challenges and I would certainly never assume that balanced amp B is better than single-ended amp C, but I can generally hear and appreciate the difference between the balanced and single-ended amps that I am familiar with, and I prefer balanced, all other things being equal.

Nov 11, 2018 at 3:32 PM Post #19,713 of 22,943
The change in FR is only a couple of db in the mids, easily off-set by changing to the white filter or switching eartips. At 1 ohm, it is not a major change at all. On the other hand, balanced gives greater imaging and separation and is well worth the cost of a balanced cable.

I wouldn't consider an output impedance of 1 ohm critical myself, but higher impedances may very well affect sound quality – like documented by yourself with the first link. The effect of the filters is quite a bit different and not suitable to compensate impedance related issues. However, thanks for mentioning the (supposedly) effective output impedances of the DP-X1 as 0.5 and 1 Ω, not 16 and 32 Ω.

Change it? No. It merely demonstrates that what you said was wrong.

Anyway, if you're not going to look at objective measurements when they dispute your opinion, then I no longer care to discuss this with you. Got better things to do.

Now you're reacting rather unobjective and unnecessarily emotionally. In my book plakat is absolutely right in warning against high(er) output impedances with the SE846. Also, balanced drive is a disputed topic. In the case of the Onkyo DP-X1 and other similar designs it seems logical that balanced drive has an advantage that also pays off sonically – given the double DAC configuration and the consequent balanced topography. In other cases balanced designs may not automatically be sonically superior; well-made single-ended DACs without the balanced-drive option may in fact be absolutely equal – if not superior, if you believe Rob Watts.

The output impedance on the spreadsheet for onkyo-dp-x1a reads 16ohm unbalanced, 32ohm balanced.
You're reading the wrong things into the specs. 16 and 32 Ω are the recommended minimum impedances of the attached headphones, not the output impedances – as already mentioned by pthora.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2018 at 4:25 PM Post #19,714 of 22,943
Outside of going the custom route I couldn't find another high-end iem that offered high levels of noise isolation and comfort, in an almost flush form factor. I use them in the gym, in bed, and under a helmet on my motorbike and they excel in all of these situations. Particularly in the case of on the bike anything bigger would be seriously uncomfortable, and the noise isolation means I don't have to crank the volume any louder than what I would normally listen at.

Nov 13, 2018 at 2:38 PM Post #19,715 of 22,943
I would like to provide some information about a DIY repair that I performed to the case of one of my SE846 IEMs.

Some while ago, while actually travelling on a plane, I noticed that a small part from the right IEM's housing was missing. It was right at the seam between the two halves of the housing, most likely being due to a manufacturing process which had weakened that portion of the housing. Since I had bought the SE846 in February 2014, they were already out of warranty. Indeed, I contacted Shure and they confirmed that they could not help since the IEMs were not repairable.

I was mostly worried that, in the area where the small piece of plastic was missing, there was also a small through hole through which debris could find its way inside the IEM. So, I decided to try to repair it myself.

After researching various glues and fillers, I narrowed down the options to either clear silicone sealant or 'liquid' plastic. I decided to try the latter because of its more similar nature to the acrylic material of the IEM's housing.

The ‘liquid plastic’ I used is a compound called Bondic (https://notaglue.com), which hardens when illuminated with a blue light (similar to dental fillings). It took me approximately one hour of careful, delicate, under-magnifying-glass work. Please refer to the attached photos which show the before (3 photos) and after (2 photos) conditions.

I am posting this information here in case anyone would need DIY advice for similar situations.

My SE846 IEMs work really well and I am very happy with them.
IMG_1346.jpg IMG_1343.jpg IMG_1347.jpg IMG_1451.jpg IMG_1452.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1343.jpg
    IMG_1343.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1346.jpg
    IMG_1346.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1347.jpg
    IMG_1347.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 13, 2018 at 3:00 PM Post #19,716 of 22,943
I would like to provide some information about a DIY repair that I performed to the case of one of my SE846 IEMs.

Some while ago, while actually travelling on a plane, I noticed that a small part from the right IEM's housing was missing. It was right at the seam between the two halves of the housing, most likely being due to a manufacturing process which had weakened that portion of the housing. Since I had bought the SE846 in February 2014, they were already out of warranty. Indeed, I contacted Shure and they confirmed that they could not help since the IEMs were not repairable.

I was mostly worried that, in the area where the small piece of plastic was missing, there was also a small through hole through which debris could find its way inside the IEM. So, I decided to try to repair it myself.

After researching various glues and fillers, I narrowed down the options to either clear silicone sealant or 'liquid' plastic. I decided to try the latter because of its more similar nature to the acrylic material of the IEM's housing.

The ‘liquid plastic’ I used is a compound called Bondic (https://notaglue.com), which hardens when illuminated with a blue light (similar to dental fillings). It took me approximately one hour of careful, delicate, under-magnifying-glass work. Please refer to the attached photos which show the before (3 photos) and after (2 photos) conditions.

I am posting this information here in case anyone would need DIY advice for similar situations.

Great work! I can barely even see the repair. Awesome advert for notaglue :) Must go buy some...

Nov 13, 2018 at 3:35 PM Post #19,717 of 22,943

Wow, I actually noticed this on my SE846 as well (both earpieces), purchased about the same time as you, and was wondering what to do. It's rather disheartening, because I wasn't too critical on the use of plastic in the beginning, and thought "It doesn't feel premium, but should at least stand the test of time". Guess I was wrong. The seam in the back is a weak point in the design. Shure should stop using plastic. This being the case, I just can't buy another Shure IEM in the future unless they up their earpiece material.

Anyhow, thanks for sharing your solution! I was thinking about using epoxy but may have to try this instead.

Nov 13, 2018 at 5:26 PM Post #19,718 of 22,943
Remember, the key words for doing such repair are careful, delicate, patience. And work using a good quality, powerful magnifying glass.

I also did the following:
  • Did prior tests of the Bondic compound to see how it should be handled, placed and cured.
  • Used a small Exacto knife to remove any traces of old adhesive and roughen the exposed surfaces.
  • Masked the IEM case with thin, clear Scotch tape along the edges of the groove (to avoid contaminating the case surface with Bondic compound).
  • Applied Bondic compound in two subsequent layers and cured each layer before applying the next.
  • Put a drop of Bondic compound on a flat plate and used a fine needle to place little amounts of the compound in the groove.
  • After the application of each layer, waited a couple of minutes for the compound to settle on its own, before using the blue LED for curing.
  • Removed the Scotch tape and gently polished the repair area with a clean microfibre cloth (like those used for eyeglasses).
Note that the Bondic compound has a honey-like consistency (so it would not flow like water) and it would not harden without the blue LED light, hence one would have plenty of time to ensure correct placement of the compound. However, do not work in direct sunlight, which may contain sufficient blue light spectrum to trigger curing.

The dimensions of the groove in my IEM were approximately 1.2 mm wide by 10.5 mm long.

The durability of the method is still to be determined...but for now I am very happy with the outcome.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2018 at 4:34 AM Post #19,719 of 22,943
@MichaelYYZ That is such a meticulous process that personally I doubt I'd have the patience, or still of hand, to carry out without creating a Franken846.

I'd happily pay £100 for them to be fixed by someone like yourself were they to succumb to damage. There's got to be a business niche there to be filled!

Nov 14, 2018 at 11:12 PM Post #19,720 of 22,943
Has anyone ever been shocked In the ear While wearing the SE 846 It just happened to me Two days in a row Yesterday and just now It felt like A little bit of electricity Shot through the tube on the left ear Gave me a little shock Scared the crap out of me I am using Spin fit CP 240 Medium Tips I've had this pair for almost a year And yesterday and today is the first time I've been shocked Well wearing them It was kind a like when you touch Your tongue To a 9 V battery I'm guessing the electricity shot straight through the tube. Just wondering if anyone has had this experience? Or just me.

Nov 14, 2018 at 11:17 PM Post #19,721 of 22,943
Has anyone ever been shocked In the ear While wearing the SE 846 It just happened to me Two days in a row YesterdayI've had this pair for almost a year And yesterday and today is the first time I've been shocked Well wearing them It was kind a like when you touch Your tongue To a 9 V battery I'm guessing the electricity shot straight through the tube. Just wondering if anyone has had this experience? Or just m and just now It felt like A little bit of electricity Shot through the tube on the left ear Gave me a little shock Scared the crap out of me I am using Spin fit CP 240 Medium Tips e.
I also use the SE846 with CP240 tips for a long time, but until now didn't have this experience. Let's hope this will never hapen agian for you, it's not something to get happy about.

Nov 15, 2018 at 9:53 AM Post #19,722 of 22,943
Has anyone ever been shocked In the ear While wearing the SE 846 It just happened to me Two days in a row Yesterday and just now It felt like A little bit of electricity Shot through the tube on the left ear Gave me a little shock Scared the crap out of me I am using Spin fit CP 240 Medium Tips I've had this pair for almost a year And yesterday and today is the first time I've been shocked Well wearing them It was kind a like when you touch Your tongue To a 9 V battery I'm guessing the electricity shot straight through the tube. Just wondering if anyone has had this experience? Or just me.
Maybe you have a shorting or power problem with whatever source to which you were listening.

Nov 15, 2018 at 10:43 AM Post #19,724 of 22,943

Users who are viewing this thread

Back