Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Nov 10, 2018 at 2:09 AM Post #19,681 of 22,954
The 1200 or 1500 are two of the unreachable IEMs I'd love to hear. Along with the i4, 64-u18 variants as well. But my 846 goes with me everywhere.

The only difference between the 1200 and the 1500 is the amp/battery module. The 1500 has a DAC built in, the 1200 does not. The 1200 has a bit longer battery life. Otherwise the headphones themselves are the same. The 1200 can be purchased new for $1500 these days. The DAC in the 1500 is not held in super high regard. It's okay, but maybe you already own a DAC.

Nov 10, 2018 at 4:19 AM Post #19,683 of 22,954
I didn't like the SE846 at all. Has anyone heard both the SE846 and Andromeda and prefer the SE846?

I heard both.
To my ears both are just really great IEM's.

I bought the Shures because of comfort and price.
The Shures fit my ears really comfortably, The Andromeda's did not fit well

Also I got a real good deal on the Shures, so they were less than half the price of the Andromeda's.
That sealed it.

(I did do the blue filter mod though)

If they give you the right fit, you can't go wrong with either the Shures or the Campfires

Nov 10, 2018 at 4:28 AM Post #19,684 of 22,954
I didn't like the SE846 at all. Has anyone heard both the SE846 and Andromeda and prefer the SE846?
Yes. Like the Andromeda but not too different from Shure 846, and size and comfort make 846 winner for me. If you didn’t like 846 at all, be surprised if you love Andromeda!

Nov 10, 2018 at 4:33 AM Post #19,685 of 22,954
Does anyone know where to buy the clear shure pelican case for the se846? I just ordered the blue box that comes with wireless cables etc and I dont think that comes with the pelican case does it?

It be easier to answer if you had a country / location listed? I have the Shure case but also identical Pelican ones ordered from Peliproducts.uk . 1060 was the model.

Nov 10, 2018 at 4:40 AM Post #19,686 of 22,954
I own the SE 846's and the KSE-1200's. I love both. I still love my SE-535's. I think perhaps I like the sound of Shure.

That's another good point: I own and love he KSE1500, yet I still like he SE846 for mobile use. I have to admit I use it less since getting the 64audio N8, but that's a least in part due to the good fit of a CIEM.

I once tried the Andromeda, but was no that impressed with its sound signature. But especially it's weight and bad fit in my ears kept me from investigating any further.

Nov 10, 2018 at 10:20 AM Post #19,687 of 22,954
The only difference between the 1200 and the 1500 is the amp/battery module. The 1500 has a DAC built in, the 1200 does not. The 1200 has a bit longer battery life. Otherwise the headphones themselves are the same. The 1200 can be purchased new for $1500 these days. The DAC in the 1500 is not held in super high regard. It's okay, but maybe you already own a DAC.
Thanks, I have an excellent DAC. The 1200s then.

Nov 10, 2018 at 12:04 PM Post #19,690 of 22,954
Maybe. I've not tried the Andromedas. But, I think the 846 has the best fit. I can almost sleep with them.

I agree. I've never used an earphone that fit so securely, so comfortably, and yet was so easy to take out or put in. Not to mention that the sound isolation is superb. Definitely not the same experience for me with the Andros. I found them comfortable, but a bit heavy and found that they shifted around in my ear. I loved their sound, however.

Nov 10, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #19,691 of 22,954
I agree. I've never used an earphone that fit so securely, so comfortably, and yet was so easy to take out or put in. Not to mention that the sound isolation is superb. Definitely not the same experience for me with the Andros. I found them comfortable, but a bit heavy and found that they shifted around in my ear. I loved their sound, however.
Right. It's like I like my Angies, but they keep slipping around due to their weight.

Nov 10, 2018 at 1:45 PM Post #19,692 of 22,954
Has anyone compared the 846's to the BGVP DM6's? I've been a die hard fan of Shures for over 12 years starting with the E5's I have a set of 535's and 846's I use for professional (drummer) and home and portable use (Sony WM1Z)

I'm in the market for a mid tier IEM, for the price and performance I've read the DM6's are pretty remarkable. I did however try the BGVP-DMG and didn't care for them, I thought the mids were too scooped and the highs were a bit harsh, are the DM6's any better in that regard?

Also, I've been reading a lot about the "blue filter mod" and have seen a lot of different reviews but not how to perform it, could one of you provide details or link? To be honest I find myself liking the black filter for the rolled off highs, although they are not as resolving, but find the blues to be a bit harsh for some material so I end up leaving in the black filters.

Thoughts. Ideas?

Nov 10, 2018 at 2:48 PM Post #19,693 of 22,954
Also, I've been reading a lot about the "blue filter mod" and have seen a lot of different reviews but not how to perform it, could one of you provide details or link? To be honest I find myself liking the black filter for the rolled off highs, although they are not as resolving, but find the blues to be a bit harsh for some material so I end up leaving in the black filters.

The "Blue Filter Mod" entails removing the foam inserts from the inside of the tube using a straight-pin. Keep them handy in case you want to put the foam back. Some models came with only one foam insert, while more recent ones seem to have all come with two. This brightens the highs, which may not be what you want, in which case you could try a similar modification to your black filters.

Another mod that brightens up the highs nicely is called the "TrishD Mod", where you merely push the outer of the two foam pieces all the way down the tube to meet with the other one at the bottom. It retains that nice "punch" in the low end that the blue filters deliver while gently lifting the high end a bit.

Avoid piercing the very bottom filter cloth covering the base of the filter, as that is required to remain intact.

Terry

Nov 10, 2018 at 3:23 PM Post #19,694 of 22,954
The "Blue Filter Mod" entails removing the foam inserts from the inside of the tube using a straight-pin. Keep them handy in case you want to put the foam back. Some models came with only one foam insert, while more recent ones seem to have all come with two. This brightens the highs, which may not be what you want, in which case you could try a similar modification to your black filters.

Another mod that brightens up the highs nicely is called the "TrishD Mod", where you merely push the outer of the two foam pieces all the way down the tube to meet with the other one at the bottom. It retains that nice "punch" in the low end that the blue filters deliver while gently lifting the high end a bit.

Avoid piercing the very bottom filter cloth covering the base of the filter, as that is required to remain intact.

Terry

Thank you sir. Exactly what I was in search of. Cheers!

Nov 10, 2018 at 4:06 PM Post #19,695 of 22,954
Agreed, for a universal IEM the SE846 with the Spinfits I have on them fits superbly. Not to mention I really enjoy their sound and isolation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back