Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Apr 20, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #19,186 of 22,945
Well I got them. First thing is I had to throw some softer tips in. The other middle size are too stiff and the smalls didn't get me any seal.

I don't want to comment too much about what I think yet. I've got brain burn in from listening to the JVC fw01's. I'm not used to the forward mids on these. Bass is good. Very even and clean. Highs seem rolled off but still sparkle comes out in certain songs. I put the 215s in and was trying to decide if I felt like these were 10x better but I understand a lot of that cost is the technology. I tried the white filters which were too harsh.

I need to put them through a day at the office to decide for sure if I can wear them for extended lengths.

It took me a few days and a bit of tip-rolling before I found them starting to "sound good" - and some brain-burn-in as well to get used to the signature. In fact, I went through a period where the black filters were giving me the most satisfaction in terms of the stereo separation of elements (blacks felt more "cohesive" in the spread than the blues did), but that awesome "slam" of the low bass finally won me back to the blue filters pretty much full-time later on.

It is all quite entertaining what with all the options we are presented with to shape the sound - tips, filters, mods galore! :)

Terry

Apr 22, 2018 at 1:13 AM Post #19,188 of 22,945
Do any SE846 owners out there use EQ? I use the awesome Onkyo HF Player for iOS (which if nothing else provides an alternative to Apple's ubiquitous hospital whites), featuring a 10 band EQ. I'm curious as to what setting to use in order to bump up the 846s brightness a bit.
I use EarStudio 10 band EQ and put +12dB at 16khz and -1dB 8kHz on a white filters

Apr 22, 2018 at 2:22 AM Post #19,189 of 22,945
That Earstudio is nice (thanks for the tip), but the USB 1.0 (48k/16bit) is a bit of a put off. I mean, USB 1.0? What. I'm sure the Bluetooth is good though. It's a nice device. I wouldn't think USB 1.0 would even be possible today. Geesh.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2018 at 3:39 AM Post #19,192 of 22,945
That Earstudio is nice (thanks for the tip), but the USB 1.0 (48k/16bit) is a bit of a put off. I mean, USB 1.0? What. I'm sure the Bluetooth is good though. It's a nice device. I wouldn't think USB 1.0 would even be possible today. Geesh.
It's just something that was for free for them to do, so they did (it's not USB1.0 - it's USB Audio Class 1 limited to a single frequency).
Doing it full-scale USB DAC would increase a cost and price.

This thing is a high-quality compact BT that can drive SE846 as well as HD650 quite decently and way beyond what it's priced.
And on BT it's 44.1/48 16/24, configurable AAC/APTX/APTXHD with oversampling it up to 24 bit 192kHz, jitter removal, 10-band 12 db EQ, variable roll-off filters, digital masking filter, 0.5Ohm OI, 6.4V balanced/unbalanced output, dual mono amps and 14 hours battery. It has a microphone to work as a proper BT also for the calls, dual parallel device connection. It's also light enough to clip it to the shirt on a short cable and forget about it. Just don't use non-HD APTX and slow roll-off filter and don't set a too high volume to get clipped (which you won't ever do on SE846).

And for $100 including shipping from Amazon, you can't complain about how it performs as USB DAC, though if you properly resync 44.1 to 48 - it plays it decent as well.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2018 at 4:45 AM Post #19,193 of 22,945
Well I got them. First thing is I had to throw some softer tips in. The other middle size are too stiff and the smalls didn't get me any seal.

I don't want to comment too much about what I think yet. I've got brain burn in from listening to the JVC fw01's. I'm not used to the forward mids on these. Bass is good. Very even and clean. Highs seem rolled off but still sparkle comes out in certain songs. I put the 215s in and was trying to decide if I felt like these were 10x better but I understand a lot of that cost is the technology. I tried the white filters which were too harsh.

I need to put them through a day at the office to decide for sure if I can wear them for extended lengths.

If you like the sound but struggle with the fit, maybe take a look at sensaphonics custom ear tips for these?

Apr 23, 2018 at 8:00 PM Post #19,194 of 22,945
I have also been through a number of IEM’s and one CIEM.

I also often use the RHA T20 (at work) both the SE846 and the RHA have the Spinfit CP240 tips. The Shure are so much more comfortable, it also sounds better.

The only annoying thing is the included tips with the Shure are not good, I also have the Spinfit 800, it is also much better than the included tips, it seems like they are holding the true performance of the IEM back with cheap tips

BR Morten
Good call on the Spinfit CP240's. I just received my pair. I Iove the sound, seal, and comfort!

SE846.jpg

Apr 23, 2018 at 9:18 PM Post #19,196 of 22,945
I just love the Spinfits with my K10. I was unaware that they had a a suitable narrow bore version for the SE846.
Yes, the newer models come with inserts so they can fit the SE846’s smaller bore.

Apr 24, 2018 at 12:45 PM Post #19,197 of 22,945
Coming from JH Roxanne, these things were/are a disappointment.

Rip that filter materiel out of the blue filter as soon as you can, putting all that engineering through a piece of foam seemed stupid, and it is.

The sound is quickened, more responsive, brighter and now more akin to the Roxanne.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #19,198 of 22,945
Well the REI arrived, and I had time to listen to it. I do not understand why it is not getting more love, it is brilliant. Compared to the mojo I find the sound more layered, and relaxed. I also find the soundstage larger, yea for a IEM. It is truly a remarkable small machine.

I am not saying that it is better than the Mojo for all headphones, but in my ears with the SE846, I think it is superior, and I will most likely end up selling the Mojo as do not have any “hard to drive” phones

I have also received a updated cable for the newer iPhones, I am having some troubles with it… will let you know if it is fixed.

Kind regards Morten

Apr 25, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #19,200 of 22,945
Good call on the Spinfit CP240's. I just received my pair. I Iove the sound, seal, and comfort!

I saw your post and got curious. So I ordered a pair (M). Holy smoke, these are great. I prefer them over the CP800-M that I bought recently but didn't like them at all.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back