Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Sep 11, 2017 at 2:04 AM Post #18,136 of 22,954
I've got a full set of Knowles dampers sitting on my desk ready to start the modding and measurement run, but I'm super swamped at work right now... Expect to have a full set of measurements within a week or two. :ksc75smile:

Sep 11, 2017 at 10:00 AM Post #18,137 of 22,954
I've got a full set of Knowles dampers sitting on my desk ready to start the modding and measurement run, but I'm super swamped at work right now... Expect to have a full set of measurements within a week or two. :ksc75smile:

Awesome stuff buddy!! If you get the chance, can you also measure the blue filters with the new "trishd" mod (foam pushed all the way down to the filter end of the tube)? Looking forward to seeing your measurements :)

Sep 11, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #18,138 of 22,954
What about comparing using 1 pc' of the foam vs the 2 Shure placed in the blue tube ?

I absolutely don't know 'up from down' about this subject, but surely Shure has reason they feel the 2 pcs' of foam at the 'large opening'/'open end' of the blue tube are the best default. I say this particularly because when I asked Shure 'Is wired se846 superior to all bluetooth?', the tech' person there sent me a lengthy reply full of complex reasons, very Nerdy (all went way over my head, but I believed I was being told Truth).

Sep 11, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #18,140 of 22,954
What about comparing using 1 pc' of the foam vs the 2 Shure placed in the blue tube ?

I absolutely don't know 'up from down' about this subject, but surely Shure has reason they feel the 2 pcs' of foam at the 'large opening'/'open end' of the blue tube are the best default. I say this particularly because when I asked Shure 'Is wired se846 superior to all bluetooth?', the tech' person there sent me a lengthy reply full of complex reasons, very Nerdy (all went way over my head, but I believed I was being told Truth).

Sorry to throw more questions into the mix, but does anyone know if the two pieces of foam are the same? I'm asking because I lost the foams of one tube while cleaning, and my remedy was to take one of the piece pieces from the other tube. So they now each have one. But one has a foam piece from the front and the other retained the piece at the back.

Sigh.

Sep 11, 2017 at 2:31 PM Post #18,141 of 22,954
Sorry to throw more questions into the mix, but does anyone know if the two pieces of foam are the same? I'm asking because I lost the foams of one tube while cleaning, and my remedy was to take one of the piece pieces from the other tube. So they now each have one. But one has a foam piece from the front and the other retained the piece at the back.

Sigh.
Good question. I can't say for sure but there has to be something that gives them their tuning.

Sep 12, 2017 at 7:29 AM Post #18,142 of 22,954
Just changed from stock silicone tips to Spinfit tips on the SE846 and 215. Holy, the Spinfit is so much better than the stock silicone tips. Much more clarity on the vocals. I think it might be due to the larger opening.

Sep 12, 2017 at 7:50 AM Post #18,143 of 22,954
I looked very carefully at the 4 pcs' of black foam from the blue tubes and I'm super near-sighted w/o eyeglasses, and 99.999 I think they are all the same fyi - I also gently 'pressed' into them and they feel the same in resistance.

I own about oh 60 tips (I would swim so have tips from underh20 devices which will come with non-underh20-use tips as well - I always bought Sony for my underh20 music life lol): Is there anything I can use to adapt the ones in which the 'center' is a little bigger than the Shure? For a zillion years I've bought Macks silicone from Walmart (to form little round earplugs or sleep or study in a noisy place) - I thought maybe I could use those as adaptors but they're always pliable so little pics' can easily come off-----I also wondered about me somehow trying these Mack's to make my own 'custom' tips but as I said they're always pliable (like Silly Putty never gets hard) --- one more thing is I wondered if it'd be smart to use the Mack's silicone to keep the device clean because dust/lint would attach to the silicone IMO:
upload_2017-9-12_6-47-45.jpeg

Sep 12, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #18,144 of 22,954
Just changed from stock silicone tips to Spinfit tips on the SE846 and 215. Holy, the Spinfit is so much better than the stock silicone tips. Much more clarity on the vocals. I think it might be due to the larger opening.

I did tried some Spinfit, but i did get a different experience than yours, with them, i was loosing a lot of bass. It probably depends on the shape of each own inner ear canal.

Sep 14, 2017 at 7:09 PM Post #18,145 of 22,954
I did tried some Spinfit, but i did get a different experience than yours, with them, i was loosing a lot of bass. It probably depends on the shape of each own inner ear canal.

For me it sounds very good but it wasn't as comfort as Shure's silicon tips

Even though I bought the small size but still I get ear pain which I don't get with the Shure's small tip

Sep 14, 2017 at 10:06 PM Post #18,146 of 22,954
I've been hooked on using the triple-flange silicone tip with the outer (smallest) flange cut off (making it a dual-flange tip). Always a good seal for me, and always comfortable.

Terry

Sep 16, 2017 at 10:51 PM Post #18,150 of 22,954
i don't like the base for 846 they are kinda Muffy to me

The bass on the SE846 is one of its strongest features. It's the only IEM I know that has great isolation, is non-ported and has a controlled sub-bass that doesn't bleed into the mids (on account of its fairly elaborate low-pass filter device). If you're finding the bass muffy (muffled? muted?) it could be you don't have a proper seal. The SE846 aren't intended for shallow insertion like your Xelentos - you need to find the right eartips to get a good seal. Have you tried SpinFit tips with the SE846? The Xelentos are awesome too, but they cannot isolate like the SE846.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back