Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Sep 17, 2017 at 1:22 AM Post #18,151 of 22,945
Is there a general consensus on the best type of cable for these? Looking for something that (hopefully) adds some more sparkle in the top end.

Sep 17, 2017 at 1:32 AM Post #18,152 of 22,945
Is there a general consensus on the best type of cable for these? Looking for something that (hopefully) adds some more sparkle in the top end.
I tried a few cables for the se846, such as the alo litz and lavricables silver cables for the se846. But there is no big difference or much sparkle, it is just SE846's sound signature. IMO to get more sparkle up top, the most effective way is just to do some EQ, get a brighter player or get another earphone.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2017 at 1:47 AM Post #18,153 of 22,945
I tried a few cables for the se846, such as the alo litz and lavricables silver cables for the se846. But there is no big difference or much sparkle, it is just SE846's sound signature. IMO to get more sparkle up top, the most effective way is just to do some EQ, get a brighter player or get another earphone.

True, it's amazing how much opinion varies on cables making any difference in sound. Never bought one so I wouldn't know.

I had been thinking about get the andromeda one day but I'd have to audition them before buying, which isn't easy where I live.

Anyway, I'm looking for a nice looking copper or spc balanced cable preferably under $200. Impact audio has some decent price cables. Any suggestions for that price?

Sep 17, 2017 at 4:45 AM Post #18,154 of 22,945
I'm planning to write more soon but i received the norne silvergarde cable about a week ago.

I already liked the level of detail of the se846 and the balance in has includng the lower end.

The silvergarde has extended the top end. Perhaps it could be called sparkle. It has also lined up the bottom end so its not quite as forward or (overly) rounded like it is (that i also like) but the bottom end is there.

The detail has a further improved a bit and the sound is or comes across a bit cleaner by what has happened to the top and bottom end

In no way is the sound harsh or dry or grainy.

They are not at all as linear or bright as say the er4s but i would think they are well extended and pretty neutral with a little "musicality" and a small drop of warmth. So even though they are not grainy they may not suit all se846 users

I think i will still be using the stock cable however at times for what that that gives. Two different sound options. I'm probably going to sell my er4s and use both these cables.

It's somehwat like other iems i demoed around $1k that had more of a neutral open sound but not quite with the open soundstage that they had. I couldn't tell you for sure what they were at all - perhaps the westone range or jupiter, perhaps.

I've been using the alo cdm with them

Sep 17, 2017 at 4:49 AM Post #18,155 of 22,945
i don't like the base for 846 they are kinda Muffy to me
I found the bottom end a little bloated or wooly (but manageable) with my iphone.

I don't get the same thing with my alo cdm with an output impedance of less than 1 ohm.

Perhaps the Impedance matching is the problem.
The se846 output impedance is 9 i believe

Sep 17, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #18,156 of 22,945
Group: I need to buy a digital audio player to use with my se846. I am 'rough and tumble' with audio players ('run around everywhere' - inside/outside - listening), so QP1R isn't a wise choice. (I won't be buying an AMP/DAC because I'm literally 'running around' listening.) I value 'good, clear, distinct articulation/sound' only. From my online studying, IT LOOKS TO ME LIKE there's zero question that Fiio brand is 'next best choice' and IT SEEMS the choice is between the Fiio x1-2nd gen & the Fiio x5 - correct? (I saw conflicting posts - SOME say 'all Fiio are the same sound with the se846', and SOME SAY THE FIIO X5 IS CLEARLY SUPERIOR, 1. overall sound quality is superior AND 2. less issue of 'noise floor'. I'd like to make my purchase today and it's noon (Sunday) here in Minnesota. TYIA for comments, advice and guidance. EDITED ADDING: I'LL BE PLAYING FLAC (that's the reason I need to buy digital player....). Oh - here's me - the legs in the jean shorts (JK):
maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #18,157 of 22,945
@trishd - Best to do with regards to your hasty specific requests is to purchase all that you think are the best to purchase (since you've got a list already), and return the ones you don't like.

Sep 17, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #18,159 of 22,945
I do have SE846, and while my own FIIO is an X3 second generation, i did had a chance to try the X5 3rd and X7 second generation.

I am realy happy with the X3 sound, the X5 did get a little brighter and better, but the real advantage was the acces to online music service.

As for the X7, it does clearly sound better than the X3, and if price is not a barrier for you, i would go for it. Otherwise, for sound quality, forget the X5 and stay with the X3, it is the better price/quality ratio of the three units in my opinion.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #18,160 of 22,945
I'm going to respectfully push back against the X3 here. The only real advantages of the X3ii over the X1ii are USB DAC mode (which most people won't use) and (in the X3iii) balanced output.

I've heard all the FiiO units with the SE846. If noise floor is an issue, the quietest noise floor I've ever heard with the SE846 is with the X5 second gen (not the X5 third gen!). All the other FiiO DAPs hiss to varying degrees with the SE846. It depends how much that might bother you. If you're out and about, background noise could make any noise floor basically inaudible anyway. I really like the X1 second gen and would go for that unless you need streaming services, in which case you'd have to get the X7 Mark II. When you compare the sound of the X7ii against any other FiiO DAP, the sound is just that bit more detailed. On the other hand, if you need something you're going to throw around and be rough with, I'd still go for the X1ii. The X7ii is a much larger device, with a large glass touchscreen. And if you break that touchscreen... :frowning2:

Sep 17, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #18,161 of 22,945
Best prices for brand new I'm seeing online, 'North America' seller, 'trusted seller' if ebay seller, authorized dealer, shipping included:
Fiio X1 2nd gen - $100.
Fiio X3 2nd gen - $150.
Fiio X5 3rd gen - $290.
-
I am in the greater metro area of the Twin Cities but NOT normally in/around large spaces full of wiring (EG big bldgs.).
I won't ever be using DAC.
I will NEVER use streaming.
(Moedawg: I know a subset of people buy & then return lots of Stuff online, & TY very much for the good idea, but I myself don't want to wind up returning Stuff.)

The price/cost/benefit/'I may break this' tells me not to buy the X5. So, if 'balanced output' is the only actually diff', then I buy X1 2nd, correct?
-

Balanced Output Connections Explained
Let’s talk balanced vs unbalanced connections - quite important, actually.

Balanced and unbalanced connections are often referred to as pro and semi-pro respectively. Using a balanced output may have a dramatic (positive) effect on audio performance, and it’s important to mention that the balanced circuitry takes place after the point of conversion from digital to analog audio.

In short, the effect of using balanced connections is to provide a better signal-to-noise ratio. The slightly theory-heavy explanation is that balanced outputs offer an impedance-balancing (between the individual wires) effect on the connected cable, resulting in a better transference of the audio signal.

Better than what you might ask? Well, unbalanced outs, naturally. In the real world, spaces with lots of wiring and/or light dimmers (commercial buildings, offices etc) are notorious for affecting unbalanced connections, causing ground loops and hums to audio equipment. This is really when balanced outputs can come handy and act as effective hum-destroyers, as we discussed in our breakdown of the 10 Most Common Home Theater Problems.

Balanced connections found on portable audio equipment require the so called 4-point plugs TRRS jacks (Tip, Ring, Ring, Sleeve). They have the same shape as regular small headphone jacks (3.5mm), but are either slightly smaller (2.5mm) or in very few instances slightly larger (4.4mm).
[img alt="Hifiman HM901S | Alexlux" class="image-inline_770__responsive_full_width_ inline-img" src="https://www.themasterswitch.com/sit.../field_imgs_inline/Hifiman3.jpg?itok=Fb0XXSu3" title="Hifiman HM901S | Alexlux

The Most Common Connections Found In DAPs
CONNECTION WHAT IT DOES
Stereo mini-jack (1/8" / 3.5mm) Headphone out, Analog
The most common mini-jack connection as found on smartphones, laptops etc.
Stereo mini-jack 2.5mm (Balanced, with a 4-point, TRRS). Line out, Analog A jack that is smaller/thinner than regular headphone jack, featuring tip/ring/ring/sleeve ending, or a 4-point connection on its end. On very rare occasions you may see two 2.5mm balanced outs - splitting the stereo feed into two mono feeds: left (L) and right (R).
Stereo mini-jack 4.4mm (Balanced, with a 4-point, TRRS). Line out, Analog Commonly found on Sony products with balanced outputs. A jack slightly larger than regular headphone jack, featuring tip/ring/ring/sleeve ending, or a 4-point connection on its end.

Sep 17, 2017 at 5:27 PM Post #18,163 of 22,945
@trishd - If you don't want to return items and get your money back, then you will never know what you will like compared to other devices (since you want to purchase the best one for your specific needs). To save the most money, you might as well stick with the phone you've got (put an Otterbox on it), or get a used/new iPod Touch or older iPhones/Samsungs and put an Otterbox on those. Too many options, brands and models in the sub $100 category to recommend only one, especially if you haven't listened to most all/any mentioned.

Sep 18, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #18,164 of 22,945
Hey guys, check this out. Shure made a mmcx bluetooth cable! Just announced today, under the model # RMCE-BT1: http://www.shure.com/americas/products/accessories/earphones/earphone-headphone-cables/rmce-bt1

It's compatible with all SE earphones. But I'm sadden to not see any mention of aptx or aptx HD support. Kinda defeats the purpose to pair this wireless cable with higher end IEMs when we won't be getting hi-res tracks. Anywho, nice for flexibility. I may give it a shot for only $99.

Sep 18, 2017 at 3:33 PM Post #18,165 of 22,945
Hey guys, check this out. Shure made a mmcx bluetooth cable! Just announced today, under the model # RMCE-BT1: http://www.shure.com/americas/products/accessories/earphones/earphone-headphone-cables/rmce-bt1

It's compatible with all SE earphones. But I'm sadden to not see any mention of aptx or aptx HD support. Kinda defeats the purpose to pair this wireless cable with higher end IEMs when we won't be getting hi-res tracks. Anywho, nice for flexibility. I may give it a shot for only $99.

Thanks for the heads-up! I'm curious to know if Shure has managed to produce a BT solution that doesn't hiss with the SE846. Every other BT device I've used so far has a really nasty noise floor with the SE846. Will some willing guinea pig out there let us all know? :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back