Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Aug 29, 2017 at 7:29 PM Post #18,106 of 22,945
Hi Folks,
Sorry to be redundant here...looking for help.

I own the SE846 and Forza after market cables.
One of the cable connections to the IEM is loose.

The sound on that side is inconsistent. It drops out.
When I wiggle the cable around there are a few seconds of music, then it drops again.

When I first reported this issue, one of you kind folks posted a schematic.
It showed where to modify the connector, to make the fit to the IEM more robust.

I think the schematic was posted several months ago.

If the Head-Fier who posted the schematic is still reading this thread, would you please be kind enough to re-post or PM me?
That would save me a lot of time searching back for months of posts.

Thanks in advance!
Happy Listening,
RCB
I believe this is where your answer lies, starting here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/shure-se846-impressions-thread.675219/page-1197#post-13532341.

If the above suggestions don't work, you can get Forza (or any other 3rd party cable manufacturer or DIYer) to use Tri-Metal connectors (you can get them from Ted Allen [@teds headfood]), as those connectors, in my experience fit the SE846 MMCX connectors tightly and snugly, with no loss in signal at all.

Aug 29, 2017 at 7:30 PM Post #18,107 of 22,945
Hi Folks,
Sorry to be redundant here...looking for help.

I own the SE846 and Forza after market cables.
One of the cable connections to the IEM is loose.

The sound on that side is inconsistent. It drops out.
When I wiggle the cable around there are a few seconds of music, then it drops again.

When I first reported this issue, one of you kind folks posted a schematic.
It showed where to modify the connector, to make the fit to the IEM more robust.

I think the schematic was posted several months ago.

If the Head-Fier who posted the schematic is still reading this thread, would you please be kind enough to re-post or PM me?
That would save me a lot of time searching back for months of posts.

Thanks in advance!
Happy Listening,
RCB

Maybe this post will help you?...

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/shure-se846-impressions-thread.675219/page-1197#post-13532341

Remember it's the plug on the end of your cable you want to file (gently!), not your SE846 :wink:

P.S. Dang, @moedawg140 beat me to the punch! Yep. Same link.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2017 at 7:40 PM Post #18,108 of 22,945
Maybe this post will help you?...

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/shure-se846-impressions-thread.675219/page-1197#post-13532341

Remember it's the plug on the end of your cable you want to file (gently!), not your SE846 :wink:

P.S. Dang, @moedawg140 beat me to the punch! Yep. Same link.
phew.gif
whew.gif

Aug 29, 2017 at 8:11 PM Post #18,109 of 22,945
Has anyone used the iBasso CB12 or CB13 balanced cables with the 846? My underlying concern is cable impedance, though I may be misunderstanding how that works.

Aug 29, 2017 at 11:47 PM Post #18,110 of 22,945
Wrote a review of the Shure SHA900, finally putting at least some of the mysteries about it to rest.
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/review/19101/
Really great review! Thnx.

I tried to get my hands on one some time ago, but ended up with a Mojo as the Shure distributor in my country is useless ..and I didn't want to bother with import taxes, eventual warranty discussions/problems, impossibility to return the item (without spending some serious money) etc.. for a product that has just a few reviews on the web.

Aug 30, 2017 at 12:31 AM Post #18,111 of 22,945
Aug 30, 2017 at 9:47 PM Post #18,112 of 22,945
After a couple of months of listening to SE846 daily, I can say, they are the best sounding headphones/earphones I own. I don't use AKG k712s at all anymore, and that is something, because I LOVE those cans. The Shures produce sound that is just something special to me, yea, the soundstage is wider on AKGs, but I'm not even sure if that's a good thing anymore. When listening with the Shures, i don't miss the massive soundstage of AKGs. The sound is so beautiful, balanced, rich... damn. At the beginning i wasn't sure if i like recessed highs, but after couple months, i don't think they are recessed at all anymore, it's the matter of your brain getting used to the new sound signature. All in all, The SE846 sound is PERFECT.

edit:
Oh just to make this comment complete, the only thing i ever listened to that is even better than the shures, is my bf's Stax. :beyersmile::ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2017 at 10:06 PM Post #18,113 of 22,945
After a couple of months of listening to SE846 daily, I can say, they are the best sounding headphones/earphones I own. I don't use AKG k712s at all anymore, and that is something, because I LOVE those cans. The Shures produce sound that is just something special to me, yea, the soundstage is wider on AKGs, but I'm not even sure if that's a good thing anymore. When listening with the Shures, i don't miss the massive soundstage of AKGs. The sound is so beautiful, balanced, rich... damn. At the beginning i wasn't sure if i like recessed highs, but after couple months, i don't think they are recessed at all anymore, it's the matter of your brain getting used to the new sound signature. All in all, The SE846 sound is PERFECT.

edit:
Oh just to make this comment complete, the only thing i ever listened to that is even better than the shures, is my bf's Stax. :beyersmile::ksc75smile:
Glad you love it! You should try the Knowles Dampers for possibly even more perfection! :beerchug:

Aug 30, 2017 at 11:42 PM Post #18,114 of 22,945

edit:
I hear ya!! I think they are very well balanced too.

A great mix of "fun" and very good level of detail

Still prefer my hd800 and lcd2 setup when at home but the se846 are great.

Like you im not too bothered by the limited soundstage but the openess of my home setups are preferred.

I can see however that these would be very limited if listening to a lot of orchestral stuff

I have a norne silvergarde cable coming soon so curious to see where that takes these too

Aug 31, 2017 at 12:17 AM Post #18,116 of 22,945
Aug 31, 2017 at 2:08 AM Post #18,117 of 22,945
I would suggest purchasing all of the colors that I mention in my review, and using the one(s) you like the most. Here is my full write-up (the hyperlink is also located in my profile):

Shure SE846 Knowles Damper Modification: http://www.head-fi.org/t/675219/shure-se846-impressions-thread/15675#post_12733921 (post #15689)
Thnx!
Seems like a lot of fine work.. not s(h)ure I'm up to the task..
After I thoroughly test the Linum SuperBax I'm gonna think about this!

Aug 31, 2017 at 2:21 AM Post #18,118 of 22,945
Thnx!
Seems like a lot of fine work.. not s(h)ure I'm up to the task..
After I thoroughly test the Linum SuperBax I'm gonna think about this!
If you want to try them, just get the parts and I can make the Dampers and/or put them in for you if it seems like too much work. Just let me know (PM me) if you'd like to do so.

Aug 31, 2017 at 3:52 AM Post #18,119 of 22,945
If you want to try them, just get the parts and I can make the Dampers and/or put them in for you if it seems like too much work. Just let me know (PM me) if you'd like to do so.
Ok, do you fly to Dubai, or I fly to California? :)
btw, one of the best road-trips of my life was in Cali.. driving south on highway one is just splendid, so I'll probably fly there..

Back on topic, I'll try it myself in a while as it is a fairly inexpensive mod, and from what I read people like the results.

I'm currently enjoying and testing the Linum SuperBax (btw, Linum now calls it G2 SuperBax, indicating it is an improved generation 2 model) and I don't want to do several modifications at the same time, as then I have no idea what works for me and what doesn't. I first have to get used to the new cable.
After a few days of usage I like it a lot, the comfort is still quite good (not as good as the Bax, but good). The build quality of the cable is amazing although the plug looks quite cheap for the price. The difference in sq is quite apparent to me (which surprised me as I always thought cable alter the sq only so slightly..), I feel I can hear improved level of details and soundstage (compared to the Bax, which can also mean the Bax is just too bad!). Will report back after a few weeks and comparing it to the stock Shure cable.

Aug 31, 2017 at 4:52 AM Post #18,120 of 22,945
Ok, do you fly to Dubai, or I fly to California? :)
btw, one of the best road-trips of my life was in Cali.. driving south on highway one is just splendid, so I'll probably fly there..

Back on topic, I'll try it myself in a while as it is a fairly inexpensive mod, and from what I read people like the results.

I'm currently enjoying and testing the Linum SuperBax (btw, Linum now calls it G2 SuperBax, indicating it is an improved generation 2 model) and I don't want to do several modifications at the same time, as then I have no idea what works for me and what doesn't. I first have to get used to the new cable.
After a few days of usage I like it a lot, the comfort is still quite good (not as good as the Bax, but good). The build quality of the cable is amazing although the plug looks quite cheap for the price. The difference in sq is quite apparent to me (which surprised me as I always thought cable alter the sq only so slightly..), I feel I can hear improved level of details and soundstage (compared to the Bax, which can also mean the Bax is just too bad!). Will report back after a few weeks and comparing it to the stock Shure cable.
LOL, well there is this thing called mail. I'll fly to Dubai if you pay my way, and you fly to SoCal if you pay your way. Hehe

Anyways, glad you like the G2 SuperBaX. I haven't listened to that one yet, so maybe it is a sonically superior cable than the gen SuperBaX that I listened to. Maybe I'll check it out in the future when I can.

With regards to the mods, what's good is that the Knowles Dampers are all reversible. Take your time, get used to the sound of what you've got now, and let me know in the future if you'll like me to help you out with the mods (Knowles Dampers) if you'd like.

There are seven dampers to choose from (that I wrote about), so you're bound to like at least one sound a lot. If not, at least you didn't spend nearly as much as one pair of stock nozzle inserts/filters!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back