Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jul 19, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #18,061 of 22,945
Thank you for response. Will iEMatch do the proper work in my case or can you suggest something else?

Btw, what did you mean by "I think Shure offers one"?

Edit : What do you think about this ? https://www.amazon.com/Cable-switch...00A2QJL0C/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
Sorry, don't know about iEMatch, but ThomasEK answered it already. So I guess this will be your best bet.

This product (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00029U0X6/) offered by Shure might work without adding much resistance, but frankly I don't know for sure.

The "ER4P to ER4S" you linked will add 75 ohms resistance. That would turn your 846 into something completely different, something like a v-shaped monster.

Jul 20, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #18,062 of 22,945
Recommendations for a thin cable? I'm using the Effect Audio Apollo cable and want to upgrade but not lose too much in the way of ergonomics. I was looking at the Linum Super Bax but unsure about its 0.75 ohm impedance with the SE846. Anyone have experience with it? Any other similar thin options with great sound?

Jul 23, 2017 at 6:42 PM Post #18,063 of 22,945
I was inspired by a recent post from @ThomasHK (https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/shure-se846-impressions-thread.675219/page-1195#post-13504011) on tip measurements. For sure, my measurement rig is not as sophisticated as that used by @ThomasHK, and my mic/compensation curves/etc., are all likely very different. However, the following measurements are all consistent and entirely repeatable, with no visible shift in the curves from measurement to measurement using the same tips. All curves here are diffuse-field compensated and were all made using brown Knowles' dampers in my SE846. Here are the tips I tested:

effect_of_eartips2.png

Probably most of you know tips 1, 3 and 4. The Symbio's are an interesting hybrid made by a fellow headfier (I believe it is @garcsa). These tips are a bit like SpinFits on the outside, with Comply-like foam on the inside; their bore is slightly too wide for the SE846 nozzles, hence the Monster supertip adapter you see above. Here are the measurements from my VibroVeritas coupler:

effect_of_eartips.png

Some comments on the above:

1) I didn't expect to see such large differences, but as I said, these measurements are totally repeatable. This shows why any measurements need to describe the eartip used - a different eartip could give you a very different FR.
2) Comply foam essentially completely eliminates the resonance peak at ~8kHz; the SCS enhances it.
3) Both Comply foam and SCS see the biggest roll-off past that 8 kHz resonance peak.
4) The Symbio tips do the best job of preventing high-frequency roll-off in the immediate region around 10+ kHz.

To my ears, Symbio tips win on SQ. Unfortunately, that comes at a price, because I find the Symbio tips pretty hard and uncomfortable to wear for long periods (and actually, even for relatively short periods). I may need to persevere with different size tips and possibly Frankensteining them by putting their interior foam into some softer silicone (SpinFit?) shells.

@garcsa - do you sell a version of your Symbio tips that would directly fit the SE846 nozzle?

Jul 23, 2017 at 7:48 PM Post #18,064 of 22,945
Spinfit tips didn't perform too badly

Jul 23, 2017 at 8:08 PM Post #18,065 of 22,945
@csglinux - Crazy (and cool) how yours and my SCS can have different results as well since our SCS's aren't the exact same size, thickness, length and shape (if measured).

Jul 23, 2017 at 8:56 PM Post #18,066 of 22,945
@csglinux - Crazy (and cool) how yours and my SCS can have different results as well since our SCS's aren't the exact same size, thickness, length and shape (if measured).

Right! Those SCS measurements should come with a little asterisk, given how everybody's going to have different bore lengths. My original pair of SCS are slightly bigger and have slightly longer bores, which drops the frequency of that resonance peak slightly.

Spinfit tips didn't perform too badly

Yes - SpinFits sound really, really good. (I use them on most of my IEMs.) And the only thing I find beats them for comfort are the custom sleeves.

Jul 23, 2017 at 9:47 PM Post #18,067 of 22,945
Right! Those SCS measurements should come with a little asterisk, given how everybody's going to have different bore lengths. My original pair of SCS are slightly bigger and have slightly longer bores, which drops the frequency of that resonance peak slightly.

Yes - SpinFits sound really, really good. (I use them on most of my IEMs.) And the only thing I find beats them for comfort are the custom sleeves.
Speaking of SpinFits, at CanJam London I was able to snag a pair of single flange CP800-type tips from a distributor who had every type I've had except the one I'm referring to now. Looks like a Large type CP800 but the bore is in blue. There is a Summer Series this Saturday at The Source, maybe we can meet up and I can show you (and my new goodies) there!

Jul 24, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #18,069 of 22,945
Jul 24, 2017 at 1:34 PM Post #18,070 of 22,945
Does anyone know where you can buy replacement filters.....My daughter got into my case and they are no where to be found :frowning2:
Contact Shure customer service for replacement nozzle inserts (also mentioned in this thread if you search)

Shure customer service
Main line: (800) 25-SHURE (800) 257-4873
Parts and service: (800) 516-2525

Jul 24, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #18,071 of 22,945
Last edited:
Jul 24, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #18,072 of 22,945
I was inspired by a recent post from @ThomasHK (https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/shure-se846-impressions-thread.675219/page-1195#post-13504011) on tip measurements. For sure, my measurement rig is not as sophisticated as that used by @ThomasHK, and my mic/compensation curves/etc., are all likely very different. However, the following measurements are all consistent and entirely repeatable, with no visible shift in the curves from measurement to measurement using the same tips. All curves here are diffuse-field compensated and were all made using brown Knowles' dampers in my SE846. Here are the tips I tested:

Probably most of you know tips 1, 3 and 4. The Symbio's are an interesting hybrid made by a fellow headfier (I believe it is @garcsa). These tips are a bit like SpinFits on the outside, with Comply-like foam on the inside; their bore is slightly too wide for the SE846 nozzles, hence the Monster supertip adapter you see above. Here are the measurements from my VibroVeritas coupler:

1) I didn't expect to see such large differences, but as I said, these measurements are totally repeatable. This shows why any measurements need to describe the eartip used - a different eartip could give you a very different FR.
2) Comply foam essentially completely eliminates the resonance peak at ~8kHz; the SCS enhances it.
3) Both Comply foam and SCS see the biggest roll-off past that 8 kHz resonance peak.
4) The Symbio tips do the best job of preventing high-frequency roll-off in the immediate region around 10+ kHz.

To my ears, Symbio tips win on SQ. Unfortunately, that comes at a price, because I find the Symbio tips pretty hard and uncomfortable to wear for long periods (and actually, even for relatively short periods). I may need to persevere with different size tips and possibly Frankensteining them by putting their interior foam into some softer silicone (SpinFit?) shells.

@garcsa - do you sell a version of your Symbio tips that would directly fit the SE846 nozzle?

@csglinux
We can offer a smilar adapter as on photos. No Symbios with bore diameter of 2.5mm.
There was some feedbacks about "uncomfortable" wearing . Is this the price for "ideal" isolation...? We do our best .. There will be new products.
Cheers,
Csaba

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2017 at 8:55 AM Post #18,073 of 22,945

ER=175721]@garcsa[/USER] - do you sell a version of your Symbio tips that would directly fit the SE846 nozzle?

This was very interesting and a great read...I love spinfits because of the treble clarity it brings out on the Shure 846

Jul 25, 2017 at 9:30 AM Post #18,075 of 22,945
Thanks! I tried searching but came up empty...The new look of the website is hard to get used to. I'll figure it out one day
Totally understand. There's some things since the transition that have caused me to completely stop/halt/cease what I can do, so I understand.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back