Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jul 11, 2017 at 8:24 PM Post #18,033 of 22,945
Very likely you didn't have correct seal in the ie800 if you found weak bass. I experienced same on demo for a while then once corrected, it matches 846 but in a faster tighter way. Love and have both iems.

Hmm! I see you list the Westone 40 before the SE846. Does that mean that you rate it higher? I own the Westone 4R, which is its predecessor.

Thanks

Jul 12, 2017 at 4:46 AM Post #18,034 of 22,945
Hmm! I see you list the Westone 40 before the SE846. Does that mean that you rate it higher? I own the Westone 4R, which is its predecessor.

Thanks

No, they in order of purchase!

Westone 40 a little warm for my liking, but a good buy at £400. SE846 more detailed, open and resolving. And ability to tailor sound to your liking with the filters.

Jul 12, 2017 at 4:54 AM Post #18,035 of 22,945
846 vs. campfire vega? anyone own both and able to weigh in?

Not the Vega, but the Andromeda (which is more comparable anyway, fully BA drivers also, five instead of four). It's a considerable step-up, IMHO. The Vega is quite a different creature.

Jul 12, 2017 at 5:02 AM Post #18,036 of 22,945
Not the Vega, but the Andromeda (which is more comparable anyway, fully BA drivers also, five instead of four). It's a considerable step-up, IMHO.

Upgrade the SE846 with Moon Audio Silver Dragon Cable, then the SE846 is in the same league as the Andromeda. The Shure stock cable sucks.

Jul 12, 2017 at 5:12 AM Post #18,037 of 22,945
bought the se846 and the alo cdm a few weeks ago.

i'm finding that the bottom end does not have enough clarity/openness when combined. The mids are great. (i've only used the blue filters thus far)

however i am considering the norne silvergarde cable to further increase the detail in the se846. wondering if the bottom end may tighten up a fair bit.
i do have the silvergarde for the hd800 and that does offer that but wondering what the effect on the se846 will be

if the bottom end will not tighten up then i'll be looking at keeping at pairing the se846 with my pha3. Currently that's the better overall combo for me however the alo cdm mids are a real treat

any experienced opinions are much appreciated

thanks in advance

The bottom end will not tighten up. Nor will the cable change anything other than optics. Whatever you are hearing is not from the cables. Unless you have / buy a cable that is broken or has built in resistance...

When did we go towards this "high end" subjective cable crap? What did I miss? This place used to be about sound not marketing claims, hype and snake oil. Quite sad this developement.

The se846 is a very good earphone, with quite severe roll off at 12KHz. The mids are forward and it has the shure house sound.
Management of the distortions that interfere with clarity and what we impressionistically call "presence" is what I would expect out of these. Reduction of the inherent distortion present in any in-ear-canal device.

Try out "Rêves D'Oasis" Part 2 (available on iTunes) as a test for this. Wonderfully clear recording of small ensemble music with voice and string and percussion. The recording itself is truly "you are there," and you'll hear that or not depending on the quality of the transducer and its reduction of IM/THD inside the ear. Transients will not be masked by other sonic components, even with full bass or vocal ensemble.

Plus it's one of the most beautiful albums I have. :)

Awesome. Very nice!!! Thanks for sharing @Copperears

Jul 12, 2017 at 8:52 AM Post #18,038 of 22,945
Upgrade the SE846 with Moon Audio Silver Dragon Cable, then the SE846 is in the same league as the Andromeda. The Shure stock cable sucks.

I respect your view, but it doesn't work for me. The 846 are not cheap and having to add $300 or so for a cable right out of the box doesn't match my buying habits, especially because I don't think any quality cable will be able to compensate the treble roll off (I suspect it is purely due to BA drivers used/tuning/shell design). I did consider cable changes, mostly because of the usability of the original cable (terrible super-stiff guides), but the same applied, felt like a bit of a rip-off considering the near 900 EUR price of the 846.

It's still a very fun IEM which I enjoy, but it's not my first pick in the price band.

Jul 12, 2017 at 9:58 AM Post #18,039 of 22,945
The bottom end will not tighten up. Nor will the cable change anything other than optics. Whatever you are hearing is not from the cables. Unless you have / buy a cable that is broken or has built in resistance...

When did we go towards this "high end" subjective cable crap? What did I miss? This place used to be about sound not marketing claims, hype and snake oil. Quite sad this developement.

@Copperears

No. The three (norne) cables i have bought definitely changed the sound on my hd800. The silvergarde on that being instantly and definitely noticeable.

Anyway.....moving on......

Jul 12, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #18,040 of 22,945
No. The three (norne) cables i have bought definitely changed the sound on my hd800. The silvergarde on that being instantly and definitely noticeable.

Anyway.....moving on......

I never said you don't hear anything. I just said your fancy cable is broken (aka has built in resistance, which can be quite noticeable - more so with in ears)

Here is some in depth reading for you. I do hope you want to learn about this stuff! http://nwavguy.blogspot.de/2011/02/headphone-amp-impedance.html

But if you only want to believe and move on, have fun! I gots some cables to sell ya! :)

Jul 13, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #18,041 of 22,945
Stopping in for the first time in awhile. Running the blue filter mod with SpinFit tips. I also apply a fairly heavy V-shaped EQ to get the sound signature I prefer, but overall I still love these and were worth every penny. The copper in the cabling near my body is pretty dark though.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2017 at 5:44 PM Post #18,042 of 22,945

All Shure stock cables sucks ! I upgraded from 215 and 425 I thought that the 846 will have better cables but they aren't better than the budget Fiio SE1 at $30. The silver dragon on the other side is really night and day, there are actually better cables with special features in terms of tuning but none can best the Silver Dragon in price/performance ratio. Even on single ended, it's a match made in heaven :)

Andro and 846 are in different leagues for different purposes, the 846 is an "on stage" iems whereas the Andro are not made for any professional purpose but pure audiophile enjoyment with a funnier tonality without any particular emphasis on any part of the spectrum, they are somewhat very very fragile and prone to chip paint.

On the other hand you can throw a pair of Shure against the wall, they will still rock ! These are amongst the sturdiest pair of iems I ever own, regardless of the price tag

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2017 at 6:35 PM Post #18,043 of 22,945
All Shure stock cables sucks ! I upgraded from 215 and 425 I thought that the 846 will have better cables but they aren't better than the budget Fiio SE1 at $30. The silver dragon on the other side is really night and day, there are actually better cables with special features in terms of tuning but none can best the Silver Dragon in price/performance ratio. Even on single ended, it's a match made in heaven :)

Andro and 846 are in different leagues for different purposes, the 846 is an "on stage" iems whereas the Andro are not made for any professional purpose but pure audiophile enjoyment with a funnier tonality without any particular emphasis on any part of the spectrum, they are somewhat very very fragile and prone to chip paint. On the other hand you can throw a pair of Shure against the wall, they will still rock ! These are amongst the sturdiest pair of iems I ever own, regardless of the price tag

I love the Moon Audio, Silver Dragon sound, but the connection wobbles and stresses out the female connection, breaking it. Once Shure replaced the IEMs, I have stuck to stock, which fits tightly.

Jul 15, 2017 at 6:47 PM Post #18,044 of 22,945
I love the Moon Audio, Silver Dragon sound, but the connection wobbles and stresses out the female connection, breaking it. Once Shure replaced the IEMs, I have stuck to stock, which fits tightly.

I'm not sure that it's a general issue, coz I never had any with my Silver Dragon ! The usage is important too, I used my 846 only lightly and mainly at home or on a plane because of the great isolation, for sports or highly physical activities I have a pair of Westone ADV alpha which is meant to be used in extreme conditions, they are cheap so if something wrong happens I won't cry a river.

Jul 17, 2017 at 8:52 PM Post #18,045 of 22,945
Got the SE846 using the black filter and custom cables, upgraded from SE215. Just loves the bass from this line of product. The bass of the SE846 is much fuller and tighter than the SE215, while maintaining superior clarity in every detail.
SE846.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back