Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jul 18, 2017 at 8:02 AM Post #18,046 of 22,945
Yep the 846 are technically miles ahead but the 215 saved me more than once and they are perfect for bed time. I found myself sleeping with them quite often, such thing can't be possible with the 846.

I used my 846 only on critical listening when I buy a new album or a new gear, I had over 400 hrs of usage on the 215 but less than 20 on the 846 :)

Jul 18, 2017 at 8:39 AM Post #18,047 of 22,945
Hello, I just ordered a se846. I want to use them with asus essence stx ll soundcard. Is it go to be a problem or damage the earphones since these are only 9Ω but the lowest impedance setting in asus software is <32Ω?

How true is this statement : "A very fun IEM to listen and at the same time you could use it for monitoring purposes. One thing to bear in mind is that a DAP with output impedance of below 1 ohm is a MUST HAVE for this IEM, should you decide to drive this IEM properly. This IEM has a very low impedance with crazy impedance swing across as the frequency changes. If you have a device with high output impedance, SE846 will be a bass-heavy IEM."

Source : https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/531248-the-audio-boards-recommended-gear/ ($500-$100 IEM section)

Thanks in advance.

Jul 18, 2017 at 8:48 AM Post #18,048 of 22,945
Hello, I just ordered a se846. I want to use them with asus essence stx ll soundcard. Is it go to be a problem or damage the earphones since these are only 9Ω but the lowest impedance setting in asus software is <32Ω?

How true is this statement : "A very fun IEM to listen and at the same time you could use it for monitoring purposes. One thing to bear in mind is that a DAP with output impedance of below 1 ohm is a MUST HAVE for this IEM, should you decide to drive this IEM properly. This IEM has a very low impedance with crazy impedance swing across as the frequency changes. If you have a device with high output impedance, SE846 will be a bass-heavy IEM."

Source : https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/531248-the-audio-boards-recommended-gear/ ($500-$100 IEM section)

Thanks in advance.

This statement is 100% true ! The 846 are very sensitive to the source, shall be ok on smartphones, perfect out of a dap with very low output impedance below 3 ohms but will trigger a high level of hiss on most desktop setup. I would suggest buying an impedance adapter of 75ohms for your setup, this will cost you about $12 but will protect your 846 from high voltage and hiss

Jul 18, 2017 at 9:01 AM Post #18,049 of 22,945
This statement is 100% true ! The 846 are very sensitive to the source, shall be ok on smartphones, perfect out of a dap with very low output impedance below 3 ohms but will trigger a high level of hiss on most desktop setup. I would suggest buying an impedance adapter of 75ohms for your setup, this will cost you about $12 but will protect your 846 from high voltage and hiss

Thanks for ur quick response. Can you please suggest a impedance adapter for the se846? I saw in this thread that people are connecting it with hp amp like Lyr 2 so are they facing problem too?

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017 at 10:00 AM Post #18,055 of 22,945
Jul 18, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #18,056 of 22,945
Yea the SE846 is very very sensitive. I have to lower the volume a quarter compared to the SE215. Both are fine driving from the headphone jack of an iPhone 6S or a Macbook Pro. No hiss or buzz sound in the background. You should just try and listen it with your current source first. There is no need to fix anything if there are no problems such as buzz or hiss sound when you are playing from your sound card.

Jul 18, 2017 at 2:23 PM Post #18,058 of 22,945
Isn't it better to get the 20 ohm adapter than then 75 since the 846's impedance is 9 ohm?
An impedance adapter will have the same effect as using a dap or amp with an output impedance increased by the same amount. I would strongly advise against using any impedance adapter with such an impedance sensitive IEM. There are attenuators that don't change the impedance. I think Shure offers one. Or else you could use an amp with negative gain.

You may of course experiment with higher impedance, but you should be prepared for very strange effects on the frequency response.

Jul 18, 2017 at 8:10 PM Post #18,059 of 22,945
An impedance adapter will have the same effect as using a dap or amp with an output impedance increased by the same amount. I would strongly advise against using any impedance adapter with such an impedance sensitive IEM. There are attenuators that don't change the impedance. I think Shure offers one. Or else you could use an amp with negative gain.

You may of course experiment with higher impedance, but you should be prepared for very strange effects on the frequency response.

Thank you for response. Will iEMatch do the proper work in my case or can you suggest something else?

Btw, what did you mean by "I think Shure offers one"?

Edit : What do you think about this ? https://www.amazon.com/Cable-switch...00A2QJL0C/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017 at 8:35 PM Post #18,060 of 22,945

Users who are viewing this thread

Back