Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
May 30, 2017 at 9:21 PM Post #17,941 of 22,945
Alright guys, now that I have the lab up and running, time to share some measurements with you guys. First set of measurements today is on the different eartips and their influence. Later I'll share measurements on the different filter mods. Probably some time next week. Let me know what else you would like to see.
Great work buddy! Yay for those SpinFit tips :) Looking forward to seeing your measurements on the brown Knowles dampers. (Please post at least a link to these on @Jamnperry's thread!)

Thanks! I'm between the HTC-10 and iPhone 6s or 7 now.... decisions decisions!
Terry
I know I promised to stop going on about iPhones several pages ago, but I just can't hold back when I see messages like this. If you care at all about audio, please, please, please don't buy an iPhone! I promise you, Apple doesn't care about you or your audio. I've owned a lot of Apple kit in the past (see for example: https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/apple-ditching-3-5mm-jack.795656/page-2#post-12708687), but right now, for audio, iOS/iPhone is inferior in so many ways. 1) Apple now forces you to use either Bluetooth or a stupid proprietary connector/dongle whose future is, at best, uncertain. Using Bluetooth with an SE846 is like putting a lawnmower engine in your Porsche. And Lightning has a lot of manufacturing and end-user restrictions, such as the type/position/circuitry of the Lightning plug/dongle, dynamic range and resolution/format limitations. 2) Apple doesn't natively support formats like FLAC or DSD and the Lightning dongle limits hi-res output formats. You still can't even purchase basic ALAC lossless music via the iTunes store, so the only way of getting lossless files into your iTunes app on the phone is to transfer them via a separately-maintained iTunes library on a PC/Mac. 3) You can't access the filesystem on an iOS device without a jailbreak (and jailbreaking is virtually dead anyway these days, because of Apple's insistence on you paying to be in their walled garden.) With an Android device you can easily grab a new album or set of files and wirelessly dump them from Dropbox or your own NFS onto your internal or external flash memory. 4) You've got a ton of choice with Android phones these days, including many with dedicated, good-quality DACs. With iOS, you've got just one choice - an iPhone :frowning2: 5) This is the most important point... Look carefully at the anti-consumer pattern of behavior from Apple in recent years - it's very likely there's more to come as Apple turns the thumbscrews to offset revenue loss from their declining innovation and software quality. Why would you want to trap yourself in an ecosystem like that?

Considering the fact that the Shures aren't particularly big, this is a tough question.
@Asspirin is right. If you want to experience ridiculously huge and uncomfortable, check out the Noble Kaiser Encore! Most universal-fit multi-driver IEMs these days are much larger and chunkier in comparison. On a modern IEM size scale of 1-10, the SE846 aren't more than about a 2.

May 31, 2017 at 7:56 AM Post #17,942 of 22,945
I know I promised to stop going on about iPhones several pages ago, but I just can't hold back when I see messages like this. If you care at all about audio, please, please, please don't buy an iPhone! I promise you, Apple doesn't care about you or your audio. I've owned a lot of Apple kit in the past (see for example: https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/apple-ditching-3-5mm-jack.795656/page-2#post-12708687), but right now, for audio, iOS/iPhone is inferior in so many ways. 1) Apple now forces you to use either Bluetooth or a stupid proprietary connector/dongle whose future is, at best, uncertain. Using Bluetooth with an SE846 is like putting a lawnmower engine in your Porsche. And Lightning has a lot of manufacturing and end-user restrictions, such as the type/position/circuitry of the Lightning plug/dongle, dynamic range and resolution/format limitations. 2) Apple doesn't natively support formats like FLAC or DSD and the Lightning dongle limits hi-res output formats. You still can't even purchase basic ALAC lossless music via the iTunes store, so the only way of getting lossless files into your iTunes app on the phone is to transfer them via a separately-maintained iTunes library on a PC/Mac. 3) You can't access the filesystem on an iOS device without a jailbreak (and jailbreaking is virtually dead anyway these days, because of Apple's insistence on you paying to be in their walled garden.) With an Android device you can easily grab a new album or set of files and wirelessly dump them from Dropbox or your own NFS onto your internal or external flash memory. 4) You've got a ton of choice with Android phones these days, including many with dedicated, good-quality DACs. With iOS, you've got just one choice - an iPhone :frowning2: 5) This is the most important point... Look carefully at the anti-consumer pattern of behavior from Apple in recent years - it's very likely there's more to come as Apple turns the thumbscrews to offset revenue loss from their declining innovation and software quality. Why would you want to trap yourself in an ecosystem like that?

:beerchug:
Yes, those are the same conclusions I've come to, and IOS is never going to be on my list now. Ordered an HTC-10 that'll be here Thursday! :ksc75smile:

Terry

Jun 6, 2017 at 6:39 PM Post #17,943 of 22,945
Hi SE846 Lovers,
I am in need of some assistance.

The right side of my SE846 is dropping out. It acts like a loose connection. When we wiggle the cable around, sometimes the music reappears. But it goes in and out.

We tested with both the stock cable and the Forza after-market cable. Same result. The only difference I can see is the cable connector on the right IEM appears to be about <1mm lower (down into the plastic) than on the left IEM. The left IEM has no drop outs. Therefore, we think it's a connection issue between the cables and the right IEM.

Does anyone have experience with improving the cable to IEM connection? Or, with after-market service from Sennheiser? These IEM's are no longer under warranty.

Thanks all in advance for your advice.

Best regards,
RCBinTN

Jun 6, 2017 at 6:47 PM Post #17,944 of 22,945
Hi SE846 Lovers,

The right side of my SE846 is dropping out. It acts like a loose connection. When we wiggle the cable around, sometimes the music reappears. But it goes in and out.

We tested with both the stock cable and the Forza after-market cable. Same result. The only difference I can see is the cable connector on the right IEM appears to be about <1mm lower (down into the plastic) than on the left IEM. The left IEM has no drop outs. Therefore, we think it's a connection issue between the cables and the right IEM.

Does anyone have experience with improving the cable to IEM connection? Or, with after-market service from Sennheiser? These IEM's are no longer under warranty.

Best regards,
RCBinTN

Trying sanding (with very fine-grit sandpaper) just a fraction of a mm off the lip of your right mmcx connector plug. The bit in red below:

mcxplug.png

Make sure to blow away the debris before you reconnect it.

Jun 6, 2017 at 6:48 PM Post #17,945 of 22,945
If oxidation and dirt is causing this, then Caig's DeOxit Red works wonders.

Terry

Jun 6, 2017 at 7:10 PM Post #17,946 of 22,945
Trying sanding (with very fine-grit sandpaper) just a fraction of a mm off the lip of your right mmcx connector plug. The bit in red below:

Make sure to blow away the debris before you reconnect it.

Thanks, but the right (the one that drops) is already lower than the left.

Jun 7, 2017 at 12:01 AM Post #17,947 of 22,945
Thanks, but the right (the one that drops) is already lower than the left.

If the SOCKET connector pin (on the SE846 earbud itself) is lower on the right than the one on the left, then this is why you'd need to slightly file down the PLUG (the bit at the end of your cable). Deoxit is worth trying first, but if the pin is recessed too far, deoxit won't fix the problem.

Jun 7, 2017 at 4:04 AM Post #17,948 of 22,945
Hi SE846 Lovers,

Best regards,
RCBinTN

Is the gold ring in place ? If you have lost that tiny piece that sits between the iem and the cable connector that's the cause of the hiccups.This piece is to exert pressure so that the connection is tight enough.

Jun 7, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #17,949 of 22,945
Is the gold ring in place ? If you have lost that tiny piece that sits between the iem and the cable connector that's the cause of the hiccups.This piece is to exert pressure so that the connection is tight enough.

Hi elfary - it's been a while! How are you, buddy?

I don't think the ring is the issue. He said the problem was a recessed connector on the SE846 itself. Also, he's tried two cables and had the same problem with both. The ring sits on the outer shell of the plug. (Just to be clear the plug is the bit at the end of the cable; the socket is on the SE846 earbud itself.)

Jun 7, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #17,950 of 22,945
Thanks for the ideas, all. Will check 'em out and get back w/ results. Makes sense the loose connection is a geometry issue. I appreciate the help -

Best -
RCB

Jun 8, 2017 at 5:25 AM Post #17,951 of 22,945
Hi elfary - it's been a while! How are you, buddy?

I don't think the ring is the issue. He said the problem was a recessed connector on the SE846 itself. Also, he's tried two cables and had the same problem with both. The ring sits on the outer shell of the plug. (Just to be clear the plug is the bit at the end of the cable; the socket is on the SE846 earbud itself.)

I'm getting by mate :wink: Hope you're doing fine.

Jun 9, 2017 at 3:53 AM Post #17,953 of 22,945
well finally i joined the 846 club! Met up with a really nice headfi'er tonight. I used to have the 535s and missed those...Decided to get these after i lost my campfire audio jupiters.... Hoping these'll last me years to come, and now have to read up on this thread.

Nice, I found the SE846 to be a noticeable upgrade vs the SE535, especially the bass difference

Jun 10, 2017 at 10:54 AM Post #17,954 of 22,945
Hey guys, quick question regarding the se846's nozzles. When you push on the nozzles by the tip with moderate force, can you see the metal part (with the se846 name engraved) slightly moving inside the housing?

Also on the right earbud, when I've tightened the nozzle locking ring all the way down (really tight), there is still a hair width's gap (near the top portion) in between the locking ring and the rubber gasket/housing if I look at it directly towards a light source. Should I be concerned?

As far as I can hear the sound hasn't been affected, but I am wondering about its longevity and whether or not I should swap a new pair with amazon.

Thanks
yes it happens... it is normal... the nozzle locks when you screw it on the body of the earphone but it still moves. you must be careful when yoy screw it to be absolutely straight... i ve hears so many complaints about defective 846 but i believe that it is just the price tag that make some people scream if there is a defect and i totally understand this. thats why shure should give lifetime guarantee, or at least more years than just two...

Jun 10, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #17,955 of 22,945
yes it happens... it is normal... the nozzle locks when you screw it on the body of the earphone but it still moves. you must be careful when yoy screw it to be absolutely straight... i ve hears so many complaints about defective 846 but i believe that it is just the price tag that make some people scream if there is a defect and i totally understand this. thats why shure should give lifetime guarantee, or at least more years than just two...

Also on the right earbud, when I've tightened the nozzle locking ring all the way down (really tight), there is still a hair width's gap (near the top portion) in between the locking ring and the rubber gasket/housing if I look at it directly towards a light source. Should I be concerned?

There shouldn't be a "hairs width " gap left. The first time I tried to switch the nozzles on my pair I had the same issue. I was puzzled for a while. But after fiddling a bit I found that I hadn't oriented the nozzle correctly and it wasn't fully seated. Gently rotate the nozzle while in the earpiece. You should notice when it "drops in" and is fullyseated. Then drop the metal housing over it and screw it down. It should screw down all the way and fit flush.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back