Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
May 24, 2017 at 9:27 AM Post #17,926 of 22,945
Hey, folks - you likely won't believe this, but I have not owned a cell phone in over ten years (not since my Cingular 8125/HTC Wizard). But I am finally getting one, via Verizon this time as they have the best coverage in my region of the world.

So, with the SE846 preferring 9 ohms impedance or below, what choices do I have (besides iPhone, which I've heard sounds great with both the 6s and current 7 models)?

Recent arrivals are the Moto-Z, the Samsung S8's, the LG V20, and the LG G6. The Samsung S7 is now pretty cheap, but I never heard any raves about that unit, audio-wise.

I was interested in the Google Pixel until I read it had a 16-ohm output impedance. Too bad!

Any impressions from folks successfully using their SE846's with their phone? (No outboard DACs or Amps involved... have to travel light with this.)

Thanks for the input!

Terry

Just to bump my original request for input on best phones for the SE846 here.

It looks like the only three contenders favored by those who replied earlier were the LG V20, the LG G6 (if I can get the Quad DAC), and the iPhone 7.

Any other input before I drop the cash??? I'm inclined now toward just going ahead with an iPhone (which shocks me a bit...) Still going with Verizon, I'm pretty sure.

Terry

May 24, 2017 at 3:27 PM Post #17,927 of 22,945
Hey Guy's,

Today is a sad day for me, because I have to say goodby to my shure se846. After taking the plunge two weeks back and getting them after lots of deliberations I simply have to admit to myself that they are just to big for my ears and ear canals.

I loved the sound and deep bass extension so much that I tried and tried again each day which resulted in bruises in my cavum and anti helix from the pressure of the driver houses after just a half hour of listening.

I tought of going the Sensaphonics way but after consulting with them and Snugs. ( have to say compliments for both companies on their customer service) I came to the conclusion that also won't work as hoped. And therby having to invest a little over 300 dollars( coming from the netherlands taxes+import duties+shipping) extra just to get the fit "maby" right maby isn't worth it.

But now what to do... going full custom? Is there a company which provides the same deep bass response as the se846? Going for a over the ear headphone and lose portability? What do you guys recommend?

To give some more info:

- as mentioned looking for same kind of bass response. You could call me a basshead but it should be as controlled and impactfull as the shure. Sometimes i wished for maby a tad more but that whas mostly the fault of the source.

- listening to a broad genre of music but mainly ( rock/metal , EDM and live/acoustic sessions.

- budget of around €1000 ($1100)

- will be driven by Chord Mojo and iPhone with tidal.

I would greatly apriciate your input as my only reference is the shure se846 and a AKG K701 ( not the biggest fan of these but for mixing there fantastic)
Hoping my story is readable as a self taught english speaker.

Kind regards,
Simon Donders

May 24, 2017 at 3:29 PM Post #17,928 of 22,945
Hey Guy's,

Today is a sad day for me, because I have to say goodby to my shure se846. After taking the plunge two weeks back and getting them after lots of deliberations I simply have to admit to myself that they are just to big for my ears and ear canals.

I loved the sound and deep bass extension so much that I tried and tried again each day which resulted in bruises in my cavum and anti helix from the pressure of the driver houses after just a half hour of listening.

I tought of going the Sensaphonics way but after consulting with them and Snugs. ( have to say compliments for both companies on their customer service) I came to the conclusion that also won't work as hoped. And therby having to invest a little over 300 dollars( coming from the netherlands taxes+import duties+shipping) extra just to get the fit "maby" right maby isn't worth it.

But now what to do... going full custom? Is there a company which provides the same deep bass response as the se846? Going for a over the ear headphone and lose portability? What do you guys recommend?

To give some more info:

- as mentioned looking for same kind of bass response. You could call me a basshead but it should be as controlled and impactfull as the shure. Sometimes i wished for maby a tad more but that whas mostly the fault of the source.

- listening to a broad genre of music but mainly ( rock/metal , EDM and live/acoustic sessions.

- budget of around €1000 ($1100)

- will be driven by Chord Mojo and iPhone with tidal.

I would greatly apriciate your input as my only reference is the shure se846 and a AKG K701 ( not the biggest fan of these but for mixing there fantastic)
Hoping my story is readable as a self taught english speaker.

Kind regards,
Simon Donders

Westone W60 or W80 maybe?

May 24, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #17,929 of 22,945
Hey Guy's,

Considering the fact that the Shures aren't particularly big, this is a tough question. Westones may give you the same problems. Maybe you want to try Campfire (Vega should be too expensive, maybe Dorado if you want that bass). Lyra/Vega/Dorado don't sit against your ears and are mainly held in place by the tips and the cable.

Unfortunately, we Europeans hardly have any possibility to try and audition the good stuff. In July, there is Canjam in London. Maybe you want to snatch a plane ticket (flights to London are normally quite affordable) and try some stuff there. With an IEM budget around 1000€, the time and patience should pay off, it's a long-time investment after all.

According to your fit problems with the shures, going custom might make a lot of sense for you, though.

Oh and I just noticed: Hifi Solutions in Amsterdam seem to have the Audeze iSine in stock. If Isolation isn't your top priority, they might be a nice solution for you, too.

May 26, 2017 at 3:23 AM Post #17,930 of 22,945
IMG_0412.jpg
IMG_0413.jpg
I love my Shure 846 with my AK320 and AK70 red limited edition but now with the new realease of the A&Ultimate SP1000 I am considering upgrading also my IEM... I have the players on Craigslist NY if interested.

May 27, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #17,931 of 22,945
Just to bump my original request for input on best phones for the SE846 here.

It looks like the only three contenders favored by those who replied earlier were the LG V20, the LG G6 (if I can get the Quad DAC), and the iPhone 7.

Any other input before I drop the cash??? I'm inclined now toward just going ahead with an iPhone (which shocks me a bit...) Still going with Verizon, I'm pretty sure.

Terry
You can get enough power to drive SE846s with pretty much any phone. but the best sounding ones with better DACs are LG V20=LG G6 (Quad DAC)>LG V10=ZTE Axon 7>HTC 10=iPhone
I would go with G6 (Quad DAC) first because it's a great phone too and then LG V20.
Google Pixel is also a great phone and can power SE846s but it's not the greatest sounding because there is no dedicated DAC.

Last edited:
May 27, 2017 at 2:35 PM Post #17,932 of 22,945
I can confirm that G6 sounds very good with Shure but also with all other good headphones I had and it can drive even 250Ohm headphones without any issue - Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro.

My personal issue with Shure is long-term comfort. I am still trying different tips but it seems I get the best sound with medium silicon tips but they are not comfortable to wear for a longer period of time. I don't like the Comply foam tips.. Still waiting for the SpinFit I have ordered, I had good experience with them with other headphones.

May 27, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #17,933 of 22,945
You can get enough power to drive SE846s with pretty much any phone. but the best sounding ones with better DACs are LG V20=LG G6 (Quad DAC)>LG V10=ZTE Axon 7>HTC 10=iPhone
I would go with G6 (Quad DAC) first because it's a great phone too and then LG V20.
Google Pixel is also a great phone and can power SE846s but it's not the greatest sounding because there is no dedicated DAC.

Gadzooks! I've read so many comments that the HTC-10 is unmatched even by the Quad-DAC LG G6 (which I cannot get via Verizon anyway...) and LG V-20. Many complain of volume issues with the LG's.

At least the HTC 10 is available at Verizon. It does have a 24-bit DAC and an amp on-board. 24-bits on the DAC makes a serious, audible difference (much more so than does high sample rate).

The Google Pixel was retired from the race because its output impedance is 16-ohms.

I can confirm that G6 sounds very good with Shure but also with all other good headphones I had and it can drive even 250Ohm headphones without any issue - Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro.

My personal issue with Shure is long-term comfort. I am still trying different tips but it seems I get the best sound with medium silicon tips but they are not comfortable to wear for a longer period of time. I don't like the Comply foam tips.. Still waiting for the SpinFit I have ordered, I had good experience with them with other headphones.

My favorite tips remain the triple-flange, or sometimes the triple-flange with the small tip cut off, which also sounds good.

Thanks! I'm between the HTC-10 and iPhone 6s or 7 now.... decisions decisions!

Terry

May 27, 2017 at 8:44 PM Post #17,934 of 22,945
I'm still on the iPhone 6 so I can keep using the 3.5mm port, but I'll be taking a look at the next version to see if the camera is a marked improvement over the 7 Plus and if Apple upgraded the battery and audio components. If so, then I won't worry about using a Lightning to 3.5mm dongle - especially since I already have a Lightning splitter for the 1MORE Triple Driver Lightning IEM.

May 28, 2017 at 2:20 AM Post #17,935 of 22,945
Gadzooks! I've read so many comments that the HTC-10 is unmatched even by the Quad-DAC LG G6 (which I cannot get via Verizon anyway...) and LG V-20. Many complain of volume issues with the LG's.

At least the HTC 10 is available at Verizon. It does have a 24-bit DAC and an amp on-board. 24-bits on the DAC makes a serious, audible difference (much more so than does high sample rate).

The Google Pixel was retired from the race because its output impedance is 16-ohms.

Terry
Quad DAC on LG phones have 32-bit DACs. It's not just about bit depth. I was in HTC 10 unveiling event and they even refused to clarify the DAC model and manufacturer on the HTC 10. HTC 10 and iPhones have good AMP and DACs but LG Quad DAC is just better IMO. I've used my SE846s with HTC 10, LG V20 and iPhone 7.

May 28, 2017 at 4:08 AM Post #17,936 of 22,945
Quad DAC on LG phones have 32-bit DACs. It's not just about bit depth. I was in HTC 10 unveiling event and they even refused to clarify the DAC model and manufacturer on the HTC 10. HTC 10 and iPhones have good AMP and DACs but LG Quad DAC is just better IMO. I've used my SE846s with HTC 10, LG V20 and iPhone 7.

Yeah, but I cannot get the LG G6 with the Quad-Dac here in the USA from Verizon, and the only ones I saw for sale were without warranty. The HTC 10 will do fine, I think. Ordered it and it is on the way. I have a 30-day return window to see if I like it with the SE846 enough, with no re-stock fees. But really, a 24-bit DAC is plenty good enough. It permits the headroom for reverb and piano fades, with plenty of dynamic range. Plus, I have a lot of 24-bit material to enjoy from my studio and from my Bowers and Wilkins "Society of Sound" subscription. I should be fine with the 10. At least I got a fairly good deal from Verizon (not as good as buying outright, but 100 dollars off at least).

Will report back after a few weeks of living with it. :)

Terry

May 28, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #17,937 of 22,945
Last edited:
May 28, 2017 at 7:54 PM Post #17,938 of 22,945
I was in HTC 10 unveiling event and they even refused to clarify the DAC model and manufacturer on the HTC 10.

In case anyone is still interested - Found out more about the DAC on the HTC-10:

https://www.qualcomm.com/news/onq/2016/06/02/qualcomm-aqstic-sets-new-standard-audiophiles

From above:
"A Qualcomm Snapdragon powered smartphone with integrated Qualcomm Aqstic audio codec is engineered to deliver those sounds—no additional equipment (or dollars) needed. And there has been no shortage of smartphones featuring Qualcomm Aqstic, including the HTC 10 and Xiaomi Mi5, powered by the Snapdragon 820 processor."​

HOWEVER, from GadgetHacks.com

"Even though the HTC 10 only has a 24-bit DAC, it sounds at least as good as all of the other phones in our list, due to a strong amp and software optimizations put in place by HTC. Instead of simply using the Aqstic audio codec by Qualcomm like it was originally rumored to, HTC opted to include a different one, which turns out to have far superior audio quality. Qualcomm initially advertised the HTC 10 as one of the first devices to come with the chip maker's own codec, however, HTC released the 10 with Aqstic merely as a fallback codec. They used their own undisclosed and proprietary codec to handle music being played from the stock application."​

and:

"...its stock music player is the incredibly basic Google Play Music, which we can't even uninstall. This is your only choice if you want to listen to locally-stored music files with HTC's codec, as every third-party player gets used with the Qualcomm Aqstic codec instead. However, if you stream music, then everything works perfectly—the HTC codec works with Spotify, Pandora, and every other streaming service we tested it with."​

Terry

Last edited:
May 30, 2017 at 1:45 AM Post #17,939 of 22,945

If you haven't already, please try Westone Star tips. They're so good, I have them on all of my IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back