Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Sep 9, 2016 at 9:58 PM Post #16,141 of 22,946

Just a long list of facts, all of which support the argument that there's a DAC in the adapter.  I haven't yet found any evidence to the contrary - just wishful thinking.

As soon as someone tears apart the adapter, we'll all see it's a Wolfson DAC in it.  I'd estimate 1-2 weeks until this happens.

Well, I haven't quite seen any facts, but if I'm wrong, I'll have said crow waiting for devouring.
ksc75smile.gif

Sep 9, 2016 at 10:21 PM Post #16,142 of 22,946
Here's just a handful of facts.  Do a little google-fu and you'll find a ton more.

- The analog audio path in a given device is hard wired to the headphone jack, speakers, etc.  It's impossible through a software update to reroute the analog audio through a digital interface.  Since the lightning headphone adapter is backwards compatible with older iPhones, iPads, and iPods, the analog audio signal could not have been rerouted through the lightning interface - and thus that means there's a DAC in it.

- Available specs on the lightning connector outright state it's impossible to route an analog audio signal through it.

- When Apple was faced with a similar problem of transitioning from the 30-pin jack (which had an analog audio output) to the lightning jack, they embedded a Wolfson DAC in the adapter.

- The MFi certification requires that the same Wolfson DAC is used in lightning headphones and audio accessories, including Apple's own lightning earbuds.

- The recently released BomDio lightning to 3.5mm adapter is even smaller than Apple's adapter, and it uses the Wolfson DAC.

- There have been many articles on Wolfson working with Apple on the latest iPhone, for example to implement noise-canceling technology in the phone which works in conjunction with the external DAC.

Let me know if you find any facts to show that it is possible to reroute an analog audio signal through a digital interface via a software change.  Or any facts to show that it's possible to route an analog audio signal through a lightning interface.  Or that there are any other products that route analog audio through a lighting interface without a DAC.

Sep 9, 2016 at 10:25 PM Post #16,143 of 22,946
What happened to the ken Rockwell dac in the iPhone

Sep 9, 2016 at 10:50 PM Post #16,144 of 22,946
  Here's just a handful of facts.  Do a little google-fu and you'll find a ton more.

- The analog audio path in a given device is hard wired to the headphone jack, speakers, etc.  It's impossible through a software update to reroute the analog audio through a digital interface.  Since the lightning headphone adapter is backwards compatible with older iPhones, iPads, and iPods, the analog audio signal could not have been rerouted through the lightning interface - and thus that means there's a DAC in it.

- Available specs on the lightning connector outright state it's impossible to route an analog audio signal through it.

- When Apple was faced with a similar problem of transitioning from the 30-pin jack (which had an analog audio output) to the lightning jack, they embedded a Wolfson DAC in the adapter.

- The MFi certification requires that the same Wolfson DAC is used in lightning headphones and audio accessories, including Apple's own lightning earbuds.

- The recently released BomDio lightning to 3.5mm adapter is even smaller than Apple's adapter, and it uses the Wolfson DAC.

- There have been many articles on Wolfson working with Apple on the latest iPhone, for example to implement noise-canceling technology in the phone which works in conjunction with the external DAC.

Let me know if you find any facts to show that it is possible to reroute an analog audio signal through a digital interface via a software change.  Or any facts to show that it's possible to route an analog audio signal through a lightning interface.  Or that there are any other products that route analog audio through a lighting interface without a DAC.

Point 1: This statement also assumes that previous versions of the iPhone did not have that wiring (as if Apple just thought about getting rid of the 3.5 mm jack today). This is pure conjecture.

Point 2: What specs? Throw me a bone here; this is just an assertion.

Point 3: Do explain, because Apple has the lightning to 30-pin adapter, lightning to digital AV adapter, lightning to USB camera adapter, lightning to VGA adapter, and lightning to USB adapter. So, which one of these adapters, exactly, is the one that has the Wolfson DAC embedded? Because none of these has an analog output. Today, of course, they added the lightning to 3.5 adapter (status unknown).

Point 4: This has nothing to do with Apple's plans. BomDio does not have Apple's ability to modify the iPhone. They swim in the tank that Apple has provided.

Point 5: Wolfson has worked with Apple going back to the iPod. I have, a still functioning, iPod 5th generation with the Wolfson WM8758 DAC. Just because Wolfson is working with Apple again does not mean the 3.5 mm adapter has a DAC in it.

So everything you have presented is nothing more than conjecture and supposition masking as facts. I have as many facts as you do at the moment; that is, no facts, but conjecture. At the end of the day, the pins are able to charge the phone and an audio signal is nothing but an electrical signal, so I see nothing impossible about sending an analog audio signal via the lightning connector.

Sep 9, 2016 at 11:17 PM Post #16,145 of 22,946

Point 1: This statement also assumes that previous versions of the iPhone did not have that wiring (as if Apple just thought about getting rid of the 3.5 mm jack today). This is pure conjecture.

Point 2: What specs? Throw me a bone here; this is just an assertion.

Point 3: Do explain, because Apple has the lightning to 30-pin adapter, lightning to digital AV adapter, lightning to USB camera adapter, lightning to VGA adapter, and lightning to USB adapter. So, which one of these adapters, exactly, is the one that has the Wolfson DAC embedded? Because none of these has an analog output. Today, of course, they added the lightning to 3.5 adapter (status unknown).

Point 4: This has nothing to do with Apple's plans. BomDio does not have Apple's ability to modify the iPhone. They swim in the tank that Apple has provided.

Point 5: Wolfson has worked with Apple going back to the iPod. I have, a still functioning, iPod 5th generation with the Wolfson WM8758 DAC. Just because Wolfson is working with Apple again does not mean the 3.5 mm adapter has a DAC in it.

So everything you have presented is nothing more than conjecture and supposition masking as facts. I have as many facts as you do at the moment; that is, no facts, but conjecture. At the end of the day, the pins are able to charge the phone and an audio signal is nothing but an electrical signal, so I see nothing impossible about sending an analog audio signal via the lightning connector.

Damn, you don't know how to use google to find these answers yourself?  It's easy to find the specs on the lightning interface. It's easy to find details on the Wolfson DAC in the 30 pin adapter (with photos to boot).  It's easy to find the BomDio is MFi certified.  Etc.  You theories are based on unfounded speculation, not research.  Spend a few hours researching it (assuming you have a some background in electronics to understand the information), and let me know what you think then

Come back to me with some facts - or wait until the adapter and all will be revealed. 
tongue_smile.gif

Sep 9, 2016 at 11:21 PM Post #16,146 of 22,946
While I understand the initial reason this discussion started in the SE846 thread I suggest it be moved over to it's own thread. I'm sure it will get a lot of traffic and the already large SE846 thread can be spared pages of Apple talk.

:)

Sep 10, 2016 at 3:37 AM Post #16,149 of 22,946

The Wolfson WM8533 DAC was used in Apple's lighting to 30-pin adapter and also is the required DAC to be used by MFi certified headphones.  Looking at pictures of the chip, it's pretty darn tiny, and it's feasible they could fit it in the cable.  And many articles discuss that Wolfson worked with Apple on aspects of the audio design of the iPhone 7.

It seems highly doubtful that Apple would require all other MFi audio devices to use a DAC, while they instead sent audio through pins on the lightning connector for their adapter.

The fact that the Lightning connector on previous iPhone/iPad devices did not support analog line signal, does not in any way indicate Apple's inability or unwillingness to make it so in the new iPhone 7 and supported by the iOS 10.

Just a long list of facts, all of which support the argument that there's a DAC in the adapter.  I haven't yet found any evidence to the contrary - just wishful thinking.

Apple's profit margin would never allow for selling a DAC chip device for $9.

Sep 10, 2016 at 7:47 AM Post #16,151 of 22,946
Apple's profit margin would never allow for selling a DAC chip device for $9.

That was my first thought too, but I think what you're going to find is that they're just mass producing a small, cheap DAC and they will still have a healthy profit margin.

What's more interesting is that this dongle also has to have an amp in it. A tiny amp, encapsulated in plastic with no means of cooling. How powerful could that possibly be???

Sep 10, 2016 at 7:57 AM Post #16,152 of 22,946
where to write about server maintenance?

It seems like this is the thread for that topic. It is also the thread to discuss the micro-kernel Google will use in its upcoming operating system. :p

The 846 never sounded good out of any Apple device I have had or heard. The line level signal is too strong without a good method to fine tune it down.

Sep 10, 2016 at 10:08 AM Post #16,155 of 22,946
That was my first thought too, but I think what you're going to find is that they're just mass producing a small, cheap DAC and they will still have a healthy profit margin.

What's more interesting is that this dongle also has to have an amp in it. A tiny amp, encapsulated in plastic with no means of cooling. How powerful could that possibly be???

As per Cirrus Logic white paper: 35mw + 35mw into a 30 ohms load. Real life implementarions never match white papers though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back