Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Sep 8, 2016 at 3:07 PM Post #16,112 of 22,954
  Yeah, I've given up on listening with my 6s unless I'm in a hurry. Always 6s –> Oppo HA-2 –> SE846. Even my iPod touch 6th gen did better than the iPhone 6s.

well then there goes me buying 6S when the 7 gets released. Geez that lightening adapter better not suck. 

Sep 8, 2016 at 4:03 PM Post #16,113 of 22,954
 Yeah, I've given up on listening with my 6s unless I'm in a hurry. Always 6s –> Oppo HA-2 –> SE846. Even my iPod touch 6th gen did better than the iPhone 6s.

well then there goes me buying 6S when the 7 gets released. Geez that lightening adapter better not suck. 

The quality of the 3.5 dongle is going to be the make it or break it point for all audio enthusiasts that own expensive headphones.

Probably putting us all together, though, we might account for the 0'1% of the iPhone market share.

If the tonality it's not right, then nothing else really matters.

Sep 9, 2016 at 9:57 AM Post #16,118 of 22,954
Lightning to 3.5 dongle is available at apple.com

For those willing to check if their SE846s can be driven by that thing as well as their current iPhones do.

I ordered one to try.

My iPhone 6 has been having some hardware problems, but I've been waiting to decide if to get an iPhone 7 or 6s or replace it. The sound quality of the adapter will probably make the decision, since I don't want to be carrying around a more bulky DAC/amp all the time.

I'm really curious what type of hardware is being used in the adapter. I would assume it has to be a full-blown DAC & amp - probably within a single IC - but I wonder if it's of the same quality as what's in older models. I'd be impressed if they were able to achieve the same quality, tucked inside such a tiny adapter.

Sep 9, 2016 at 10:29 AM Post #16,119 of 22,954
I know i am in for a kicking here but,I purchased a Bluetooth adaptor from Amazon,plugged into my 846. Look mum, no cables,( Except for the one around my neck) Quality?. Surprisingly good. AS Good?. No,but to be able to get rid of the cable,paired to my IPhone,and have a perfectly acceptable sound, brilliant. As I tend to use the W60, i was considering selling the 846, not now. I have fallen in love yet again.

Sep 9, 2016 at 10:31 AM Post #16,120 of 22,954
If this dongle puts out an electrical signal as good as the one iPhone 6 hpo pumps then i will deem it as engineering epic success. More impressive than the whole iPhone 7.

If the tonality it's not right, then nothing else really matters.

Sep 9, 2016 at 10:54 AM Post #16,121 of 22,954
Lightning to 3.5 dongle is available at apple.com

For those willing to check if their SE846s can be driven by that thing as well as their current iPhones do.

I would love to check this out - both in name of science and to help out a friend. However, this would require me to update my old iPhone 6 to iOS 10 and lose my Jailbreak. Can't do that! It would also require me to spend one more cent in an Apple store, which is something I'm never again going to do. Sorry buddy! I hope somebody else reports back for you. I can't be very optimistic about such a cheap and tiny DAC, but who knows?...

Sep 9, 2016 at 10:54 AM Post #16,122 of 22,954
The doogle cant degrade 16/48 can it? I mean cck is cck direct to dac or phone?

Sep 9, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #16,123 of 22,954
The doogle cant degrade 16/48 can it? I mean cck is cck direct to dac or phone?

Huh? We're not talking about the CCK. We're talking about the lightning-to-3.5mm adapter, which would include an embedded DAC & amp.

As elfary said, if they can put a good sounding DAC & amp in this little cable, the engineering would be more impressive than the iPhone 7 itself.

Sep 9, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #16,124 of 22,954
What i am saying is will this thing degrade my 850$ cable or is it a wash. Havind various portable dac amps, cck works fine.

Sep 9, 2016 at 5:26 PM Post #16,125 of 22,954
Huh? We're not talking about the CCK. We're talking about the lightning-to-3.5mm adapter, which would include an embedded DAC & amp.

As elfary said, if they can put a good sounding DAC & amp in this little cable, the engineering would be more impressive than the iPhone 7 itself.

Strongly doubt that's how it works. More likely the phone detects the type of device, and uses the Lightning wiring to transfer audio. Also the cost would not be $9 if there was a DAC chip in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back