Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Apr 4, 2016 at 8:14 AM Post #14,762 of 22,954
Ordered the spinfits from Jaben; it's been a month and haven't received them yet. It seems they were lost on the way or something. Tried to order them from Amazon.com but it says that this item cannot be shipped to Vancouver Canada, and they're not available on Amazon.ca. 'Tis a pity ...

The normal weak point in the shipping process is customs. Mine arrived in under a week from Jaben Singapore, so there is definitely something wrong there.

Apr 4, 2016 at 11:30 AM Post #14,763 of 22,954
Another ? So did you have a silver litz that went bad?

Vendors that produce custom aftermarket cables stand behind their products. IEM/CIEM cables are subject to a little more abuse in general due to typically being used during activities. If connections become a little wonky over time, you can typically send your cable back to whoever produced it, and they'll fix it for you. But I've just recently realized that reverting back to using a stock cable while your premium cable is getting a tune up...just doesn't cut it. I don't enjoy listening to my music at a lesser SQ than what I have become used to with my Silver Litz cable.

Hence...I've decided to purchase another custom cable of the quality that I've learned to covet since first becoming a member of the Head-Fi Cult...*OOP's*...I mean community. Basically, I'm scratching the itch that has annoyed me for the past year or more. Or at least as long as another member has not given me the cable listed in their signature, that has taunted me...lol.

Apr 4, 2016 at 11:37 AM Post #14,764 of 22,954
which are the best upgrade cables for the 846 that gives the most improved soundstage and treble air? I also don't want to lose any bass though. I'm looking for noticeable improvements. I love the 846 but just would like more air.

Apr 4, 2016 at 11:50 AM Post #14,767 of 22,954
  which are the best upgrade cables for the 846 that gives the most improved soundstage and treble air? I also don't want to lose any bass though. I'm looking for noticeable improvements. I love the 846 but just would like more air.

This is not an easy question to answer, because different listeners have different preferences. The Reference Silver Litz that I own, takes the SQ from my DAP beyond anything I ever could have imagined. So I know that I like pure OCC Silver Litz. But then there are nozzle inserts and modi

Apr 4, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #14,768 of 22,954

This is not an easy question to answer, because different listeners have different preferences. The Reference Silver Litz that I own, takes the SQ from my DAP beyond anything I ever could have imagined. So I know that I like pure OCC Silver Litz. But then there are nozzle inserts and modi

I have some silver cables for one of my full size headphones and boy did the soundstage open up. But, bass took a hit on many of my amps, except for my micro ican se. I think the new cable isn't as efficient as the stock cable and needs more power. Maybe it just needs to burn in, if cables even do that.

Apr 4, 2016 at 2:59 PM Post #14,769 of 22,954

My new pioneer xpa700 has RSA/alo balanced out. That's what I'm getting them for most likely, then I'll get an adapter to use with regular 2.5 out

I think you'll find a lot more air going fully balanced. It's obviously amp dependent but I noticed a distinct improvement when I made the switch on my AK120/centrance glove combo

Apr 4, 2016 at 4:52 PM Post #14,770 of 22,954
Ordered the spinfits from Jaben; it's been a month and haven't received them yet. It seems they were lost on the way or something. Tried to order them from Amazon.com but it says that this item cannot be shipped to Vancouver Canada, and they're not available on Amazon.ca. 'Tis a pity ...

Headfier Dopamine (always have to check that) will be able to help out.  Either by pm here or his own ebay store. 

Apr 4, 2016 at 7:16 PM Post #14,771 of 22,954
  The spinfit site tells you the sizes.  There are three:  11-12-13mm.  I measured my foam tips and they are 13mm, so I ordered the large spinfits.

http://www.spinfit-eartip.com/

The CP800 are for the SE846, they are available on Amazon.com.

http://www.amazon.com/SpinFit-CP800-CP800-L/dp/B01B7AKJJ8/ref=pd_bxgy_23_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=08G5BRHRECNE0HSME273

There are three sizes - S=11mm, M=12mm, L=13mm.

Good luck,
RCBinTN

Hey RCBinTN, this is an unrelated question to the quote, but I noticed you on the LCDX thread.

Could you compare the X to the 846 please? I'm considering switching from the X to this (I've never had high-end IEMs before) -- good/bad idea?

Apr 5, 2016 at 7:34 PM Post #14,773 of 22,954

Hey RCBinTN, this is an unrelated question to the quote, but I noticed you on the LCDX thread.

Could you compare the X to the 846 please? I'm considering switching from the X to this (I've never had high-end IEMs before) -- good/bad idea?

Hey, thanks for the question.  I have been messing with my SE846 lately trying to get better SQ.  The upstream rig:  AK120ii - Silver Dragon - Oppo HA-2 - SE846 w/ tapered foam earbuds. When I bought the Silver Dragon interconnect, the sound was too bright with the unmodded blue tips.  So I switched to the unmodded black.  Too dark.  Then, I removed one piece of the felt from each of the black tips and the SQ is better.  Amazing how a little piece of felt can make such a difference.  After that mod, and with the Oppo in high-gain mode, I would say the SE846 sound quite similar to the LCD-X.  Similar treble, decent mids resolution, good bass response.  The X have a wider soundstage, but other than that, the instruments sound similar.  Hope this helps -

RCB

Apr 6, 2016 at 5:43 AM Post #14,774 of 22,954
Wanted to try the much hyped SpinFit tips so I ordered them a couple of weeks ago from Jaben. Received them a couple of days ago and was not very impressed as I have problems getting a good fit, with poor isolation and severe loss of bass as a result. I have no problem getting any of the other Shure-included tips to fit so this was a surprise to me. Turns out that at a closer inspection of the package that I had gotten the wrong size (and apparently the sizes are color coded, didn't know that), too large and I guess that's why the fit is not optimal. I'll need to get in contact with Jaben again I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back