Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Apr 7, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #14,791 of 22,960
I listened to the SE846's for a brief 5 minutes yesterday. I was selling my UE900's and the buyer happened to have a pair of SE846's and let me try them. He had another new pair to sell for 950NZD (645USD). I wish I could afford them, but atm I'm too poor haha.

My god, they sounded so good... it blew me away. The bass and mid extension was superb for an IEM. Compared to the UE900 it was night and day. I'm not sure if many have heard the UE900 but I do not like the sound signature at all. They sounded a bit lifeless and non musical. I couldn't stand how boring everything sounded so sold them.

I'll definitely be saving up to get a pair of the SE846 and hopefully coming back to this thread to get ideas for mods and tweaking in the future :)

Apr 7, 2016 at 7:13 PM Post #14,793 of 22,960
  I listened to the SE846's for a brief 5 minutes yesterday. I was selling my UE900's and the buyer happened to have a pair of SE846's and let me try them. He had another new pair to sell for 950NZD (645USD). I wish I could afford them, but atm I'm too poor haha.

My god, they sounded so good... it blew me away. The bass and mid extension was superb for an IEM. Compared to the UE900 it was night and day. I'm not sure if many have heard the UE900 but I do not like the sound signature at all. They sounded a bit lifeless and non musical. I couldn't stand how boring everything sounded so sold them.

I'll definitely be saving up to get a pair of the SE846 and hopefully coming back to this thread to get ideas for mods and tweaking in the future :)

I had the UE900s (not UE900's, UE900s) on loan a few days ago (my thoughts on them are in my QP1R review [link is in my profile]), and I feel while some may like them (sounded kind of like the UERM to me: flat and bland-sounding), I feel the SE846 sounds much better to my ears.

If you purchase the SE846, welcome to the club!  Mods to try if you purchase: Nozzle insert/filter inside acoustic foam/damper removal, elemental cables (changing from stock nickel-plated SPC to copper, silver with gold, Silver Litz, etc.) and sizes-fit-all tips such as Westone Sample Pack, SpinFit, and my favorite, most comfortable custom-like tip: the Sensaphonics Custom Sleeves.  DAP/DAC/amp pairings are another undertaking as well, however, currently, my favorite portable pairing is with the Questyle Audio QP1R.

Take care! 

Apr 7, 2016 at 7:34 PM Post #14,794 of 22,960
Hey Moe,

Thanks for the reply. That review is a MONSTER!! admire your hard work man.

"as flat as a universal fit in-ear monitor as you are going to get" I couldn't agree more. I honestly thought there was some crossover issues because the highs and mids sounded so bound together but I guess it was by design. 

Will give those mods a go when I finally commit. It sucks hearing something so nice. Kind of ruins your other earphones lol. 

Apr 7, 2016 at 8:38 PM Post #14,795 of 22,960
  Hey Moe,

Thanks for the reply. That review is a MONSTER!! admire your hard work man.

"as flat as a universal fit in-ear monitor as you are going to get" I couldn't agree more. I honestly thought there was some crossover issues because the highs and mids sounded so bound together but I guess it was by design. 

Will give those mods a go when I finally commit. It sucks hearing something so nice. Kind of ruins your other earphones lol. 

My pleasure!  Thanks for the kind words regarding the review.  I'll be adding more content to the review in the near future, so stay tuned for more! 
beerchug.gif

As far as ruining other earphones, I totally understand what you mean.  I do see pros and cons in just about every IEM I've listened to.  Even though I adore the sound of the  Shure KSE1500 for example, it's just not for me since I have to stack with the accompanied/necessary DAC/amp that powers the electrostatic IEMs.  The SE846 may not be as overall resolute, but they are a wonderful IEM and is still one of my overall favorite IEMs, and they feel better than any IEM, universal or custom, because of the addition of the SCS.

Apr 8, 2016 at 6:10 AM Post #14,798 of 22,960
Se846 really sounds great with the pop song. I am using my 846 with the whiplash twau 2.5mm . Did here any dap are you guys would be recommend ? I am looking for thr dx200 but for a long time which makes me anxiety...:)

Phone + chord mojo ----> may be good option
http://www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-please-read-the-3rd-post#post_11992416

Apr 8, 2016 at 7:57 AM Post #14,799 of 22,960
[CONTENTEMBED=/t/675219/shure-se846-impressions-thread/14790#post_12486807 layout=inline]Quote:[/CONTENTEMBED]
Se846 really sounds great with the pop song. I am using my 846 with the whiplash twau 2.5mm . Did here any dap are you guys would be recommend ? I am looking for thr dx200 but for a long time which makes me anxiety...:)

The Onkyo DP-X1 coming to NA allegedly end of this month... 

Dunno about onkyo but dig your avatar. :smile: hilarious

Apr 8, 2016 at 9:17 AM Post #14,800 of 22,960

I kind of see where you are coming from, owning the Shure and UE myself. The UE900 and UE900(S) (well, actually not the "real" S as there are only very few real Ss that have shown up in Germany, my 2nd one (directly bought from Logitech) is actually a UE900 with S tips, cables and packaging but sounds 100% similar to my UE900 despite the slightly updated tips) sound very subjectively balanced/flat (one could even say that they head into the "boring" direction which is however kind of a plus for my preference) and I have to concur with Maurice (@moedawg140) that there is an undeniable tonal similarity with my UERM (the UE900 has just a bit more bass, darker mids and less prominent upper treble). My only grief with the UE900 (and quasi-S) is that the midrange is not as well resolving as the bass/treble and that there could be more soundstage depth. In comparison to the UE, it is clearly more "musical" and "livelier".

/edit: USD 645 are a really sweet deal for a new (factory-sealed?) pair. So save your pennies and make the deal. 
beerchug.gif

Apr 8, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #14,801 of 22,960
When I get home today I'll have my Ref Silver Litz cable back from Ted (Headphone Lounge), and my new 8 wire Therium from Norne Audio will be shipping. I haven't been this excited since I first realized that my hands could reach my nether regions...lol  
biggrin.gif

Walt

Apr 8, 2016 at 4:01 PM Post #14,803 of 22,960
  Hello everyone..
as i am new to headfi forums and interested with purchase the SE846, i have a question..
any recommendation for a good replacement cable?
thanks a bunch :)

May i respectively suggest,that you try the 846,on it original cable first. I have tried a balanced cable,and other cables,but have gone back to the original. See how you get on,then see the forums for recommendations.

Apr 8, 2016 at 4:37 PM Post #14,805 of 22,960
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pure-Solid-Silver-Shure-SE535-SE425-SE315-SE846-UE900-Fidue-A83-upgrade-cable-/181983121347

Very,very good cable for the price.Using it with ZX2 With TRRS plug.Highly detailed,crisper highs,more musical than stock,tighter bass with better decay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back