Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Feb 7, 2016 at 9:01 PM Post #14,177 of 22,954

Yes, it shouldn't – that's what I thought as well. But it is indeed much easier now with the spare cable and the probably worn-in (-out?) socket.

To be fair, the shure cable has a pretty poor design for removing cables. The dome shaped piece that you hold on to is pretty much impossible to grip unless you hands are sufficiently dry, and even then its a chore. I use a pair of pliers, hold on to the dome piece, and then it works easily without damaging the connection.

Feb 8, 2016 at 1:54 AM Post #14,178 of 22,954

To be fair, the shure cable has a pretty poor design for removing cables. The dome shaped piece that you hold on to is pretty much impossible to grip unless you hands are sufficiently dry, and even then its a chore. I use a pair of pliers, hold on to the dome piece, and then it works easily without damaging the connection.

I put my nails of my thumb and index under (in the gap) and it just pops off with the even pressure applied, I never grip the "dome" to pull it off.

Feb 8, 2016 at 8:33 PM Post #14,179 of 22,954
Hey guys, quick question regarding the se846's nozzles. When you push on the nozzles by the tip with moderate force, can you see the metal part (with the se846 name engraved) slightly moving inside the housing? 

Also on the right earbud, when I've tightened the nozzle locking ring all the way down (really tight), there is still a hair width's gap (near the top portion) in between the locking ring and the rubber gasket/housing if I look at it directly towards a light source. Should I be concerned? 

As far as I can hear the sound hasn't been affected, but I am wondering about its longevity and whether or not I should swap a new pair with amazon. 

Thanks

Feb 8, 2016 at 9:44 PM Post #14,180 of 22,954

I put my nails of my thumb and index under (in the gap) and it just pops off with the even pressure applied, I never grip the "dome" to pull it off.

See, I would do that if I had nails haha

I think all they need to do is add some jimping and they'd be golden

Feb 9, 2016 at 3:38 AM Post #14,183 of 22,954
I wonder how come you never see musicians with se846, u only see them with custom Ussualy ultimate Ears, I like the se846 better than any ue in sound.... Maybe because se846 is not custom?

I just wonder why...

I saw a documentary about 30 seconds to Mars (and their fight against their record label) a while ago. Once they move to a big house and setup a home studio over there to record their next album I thought the drummer wears a pair of se846's, but I am not totally shure :wink:

Feb 9, 2016 at 7:07 AM Post #14,184 of 22,954
I wonder how come you never see musicians with se846, u only see them with custom Ussualy ultimate Ears, I like the se846 better than any ue in sound.... Maybe because se846 is not custom?

I just wonder why...

Well, one thing is that musicians have different requirements on stage than us audiophiles. A drummer will very likely not use the same IEMs as a singer.
In addition, most of the CIEMs weren't even designed for audiophiles, but "we" just "abuse" them for listening to music. Good examples for (C)IEMs that were designed 100% for singers are the UE Vocal Reference Monitors - if you ever get a chance to audition one (either the male or female version), you'll know why after just a few beats. 
biggrin.gif

Oh, and there are s(h)urely (pun intended) musicians/singer who use the SE846 (among other IEMs) for on-stage monitoring. One guy that comes into my mind is the German musician Gregor Meyle, but he's also sponsored by Shure, so it is not too much of a surprise that he uses their products quite often.
Here's a link to a picture where you can see him wearing the SE846: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/30/20140703-TFF-Rudolstadt-Water-Is-Right-3763.jpg
Not too much surprised that he uses the SE846, as their signature fits quite well for male vocal mastering imho.

Feb 9, 2016 at 5:58 PM Post #14,185 of 22,954

I just wonder why...

I have a Roland V Drum kit and use my 846's with it. I used to have SCL5's but was fortunate enough to be able to sell them for $150 afterwards. That's my old COWON D2 plugged into the laptop at the bottom left. Actually still have it...

Feb 9, 2016 at 9:02 PM Post #14,187 of 22,954
I wish shure could make this a CIEM

I am not 100% sure about the pros and cons of CIEM, however if it is just down to fit then the Sensaphonics custom sleeve doe the job.

I actually prefer this option as it gives you the benefit of perfect fit and at the same time if I were to ever upgrade or move on from the SE846 it would be easier to sell due to being universal.

Feb 10, 2016 at 10:56 AM Post #14,188 of 22,954
Can you folks let me know how these compare to the SE425 if you have both? How did you find the upgrade?
I have the SE425 and love them, but I am afraid upgrade-itis has kicked in!
I would like CIEM but really am not going to travel loads of miles just to get ear impressions done. Then there is the price too. The only CIEM I want is K10.
So, at the moment a certain online retailer has the SE846 for £580.
Thanks.

Feb 10, 2016 at 11:02 AM Post #14,189 of 22,954
Can you folks let me know how these compare to the SE425 if you have both? How did you find the upgrade?
I have the SE425 and love them, but I am afraid upgrade-itis has kicked in!
I would like CIEM but really am not going to travel loads of miles just to get ear impressions done. Then there is the price too. The only CIEM I want is K10.
So, at the moment a certain online retailer has the SE846 for £580.
Thanks.

I started my hunt with se425, now have se846, miles and miles and miles and miles away, it is better over the se425 in absolutely each and every way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back