Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Feb 10, 2016 at 4:50 PM Post #14,191 of 22,960
  anyone have pictures of the bronze ones in the ear

Not a real ear, but this should suffice:

Pictures are taken from me, at NAMM 2016:

Gold/Bronze SE846 in my hand

Feb 10, 2016 at 4:56 PM Post #14,193 of 22,960
Feb 10, 2016 at 5:04 PM Post #14,195 of 22,960
  are they smaller than the clear ones....they look to be a bit......Sorry, I'll stop with the questions!

Not from when I saw them all at once, but who knows?

Here's a picture of them all together, loose, for reference:

Feb 11, 2016 at 5:18 AM Post #14,197 of 22,960
  Can you folks let me know how these compare to the SE425 if you have both? How did you find the upgrade?
I have the SE425 and love them, but I am afraid upgrade-itis has kicked in!

A quick extract from my German review I wrote many months back and translated it to English for Head-Fi, with some additions:

Quick comparison to the SE425:
For a fellow friend, I wrote this brief tonal comparison, so I thought I’d include it here as well:

The SE846 (white filters) is a bit more prominent in the lower mids a has got slightly less level in the lower highs (presence area) as well as middle treble and clearly more level and the better extension in the upper highs (with the blue filters however, upper treble levels don’t differ that much, although the SE846 has still got the superior extension). As the level drops steeper from the mids to the presence area, the SE846 is by the way less analytical and critical with bad recordings although its resolution is a huge step forward.
SE846’s bass emphasis starts extending very low and evenly, with its climax in the sub-bass. SE425’s sub-bass rolls a little off and its general tonality is rather balanced, with only little more upper bass and just a tad warmth in the fundamental range.

Resolution, extension, naturalness and soundstage are a distinct upgrade with the 846. Though, sound signature is different and the 846 focuses more on the sub-bass and sounds a bit thicker in the root and mids.

This plot should give you a rough idea on what the differences between both IEMs are.
Please note that it wasn’t recorded with professional equipment but with my Vibro Veritas coupler that was pseudo-calibrated to more or less match a real IEC 711 coupler’s response with applied diffuse-field target, hence the results shouldn’t be regarded as absolute values but rather as a rough visualisation. Especially at 3, 6 and 9 kHz, there are sometimes greater deviations from professional plots – but for a general, rough comparison between various in-ears and a rough idea of how they sound, the results are sufficient.

green is SE846 with treble filter, yellow is SE425 (both IEMs were measured with the silicone tips)

Feb 11, 2016 at 8:13 AM Post #14,198 of 22,960

A quick extract from my German review I wrote many months back and translated it to English for Head-Fi, with some additions:

Resolution, extension, naturalness and soundstage are a distinct upgrade with the 846. Though, sound signature is different and the 846 focuses more on the sub-bass and sounds a bit thicker in the root and mids.

This plot should give you a rough idea on what the differences between both IEMs are.
Please note that it wasn’t recorded with professional equipment but with my Vibro Veritas coupler that was pseudo-calibrated to more or less match a real IEC 711 coupler’s response with applied diffuse-field target, hence the results shouldn’t be regarded as absolute values but rather as a rough visualisation. Especially at 3, 6 and 9 kHz, there are sometimes greater deviations from professional plots – but for a general, rough comparison between various in-ears and a rough idea of how they sound, the results are sufficient.

green is SE846 with treble filter, yellow is SE425 (both IEMs were measured with the silicone tips)

Based on personal listening of both models i'd say that this graph is spot on. Or very close to the bullseye.

Thanks for sharing

Feb 11, 2016 at 11:25 AM Post #14,199 of 22,960
Guys how can I make my se846 a bit bass havy what i mean is i want to have more impact of bass i have tried the warm filter but it didnt make much of a difference to my ears. I am using hifiman 650 with minibox amp.... What do you suggest another dap, custom cables, filter mod etc?

Feb 11, 2016 at 11:37 AM Post #14,200 of 22,960
Guys how can I make my se846 a bit bass havy what i mean is i want to have more impact of bass i have tried the warm filter but it didnt make much of a difference to my ears. I am using hifiman 650 with minibox amp.... What do you suggest another dap, custom cables, filter mod etc?

Hands down, you should use an EQ or amp with bass-boost for these results.

Feb 11, 2016 at 5:04 PM Post #14,202 of 22,960

dap no, another dac amp, yes

Feb 12, 2016 at 3:21 AM Post #14,205 of 22,960

i have one answer for you 

get yorself the headstage 5tx enhanced bass and connect to a dap like ak100ii, and you will never ask for more bass ever

take it from me who spent thousands of dollars to get the bass right, and to come only to the conclusion that for bass the best there is the 5tx

but before that experiment with ear tips as that has a huge impact on bass

Users who are viewing this thread

Back