Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Oct 31, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #13,126 of 22,945
I've always been tempted to buy the Hugo except the size (and price) was not practical for me. Do you use it only with your ipod? The price of the Mojo is much more reasonable at 600 (vs 2500 of the Hugo) and much smaller in size that it could be something to consider. How's the volume adjustment with the SE846? With a lot of dac/amps in the past there was very little room for volume where it went from 0 to too loud too quick. I could use this with my LG G3 phone and my macbook air and pretty tempting...

The SE846 probably isn't a wow iem for many but it grows on you where you end up really liking it over time. I've had it for many 6 months and really like it so far.

I do use it solely with my iPod Touch. With a digital line out into the Mojo my iPod is solely a transport. From the Mojo thread, anything with a line out will sound fantastic. The Mojo thread is moving really fast but it seems the old AK100 is popular simply because it is almost the same size as the Mojo. Remember the Mojo was designed to pair with smartphones as well as any upmarket DAP

As for the volume control, the Mojo has a digital volume control and I just counted 30 clicks from lowest to a comfortable listening level. Before you ask, I do not listen at high volumes at all.

Oct 31, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #13,127 of 22,945
I do use it solely with my iPod Touch. With a digital line out into the Mojo my iPod is solely a transport. From the Mojo thread, anything with a line out will sound fantastic. The Mojo thread is moving really fast but it seems the old AK100 is popular simply because it is almost the same size as the Mojo. Remember the Mojo was designed to pair with smartphones as well as any upmarket DAP

As for the volume control, the Mojo has a digital volume control and I just counted 30 clicks from lowest to a comfortable listening level. Before you ask, I do not listen at high volumes at all.

Thanks. I don't listen too loud either so this would be a good purchase for me in the future. I have a vacation coming up soon so I won't purchase anything soon however this could be a purchase in early 2016. By that time there may be cheap second hand ones too :)

Nov 1, 2015 at 1:03 AM Post #13,128 of 22,945
The Grace Design x Massdrop m9XX DAC/Amp to Ted's Silver Litz, SE846, modded black/white nozzle inserts, SCS (Sensaphonics Custom Sleeves) sounds absolutely divine.  My thoughts regarding the blissful-sounding combination are here: http://www.head-fi.org/products/grace-design-m9xx-compact-usb-dac-with-integrated-headphone-amp/reviews/14346.

Nov 1, 2015 at 11:47 AM Post #13,129 of 22,945

I tried both the IE800 and Shure SE846. The 800 sounded more artificial and brighter like when I listened to my first CD many years ago. Very exact however. 846 sounds more alive and "rounder" like an old tube radio (exaggerating!) warmer and fuller. Like comparing a steel guitar to an acoustic guitar in a way. If you are after industrial cold German exact sound I think 800 is a better choice. If you are after more human sound, warmer and more alive sound the 846 is my choice. Needless to say, I sold my 800 and kept the 846.

Same thin applies to my HD700 compared to HD800. I kept my 700 as well for that same reason.

Nov 1, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #13,130 of 22,945
This thing is heaven, got my Silver Dragon, reterminated from balanced to SE, since I have problem with balanced out of my AK100ii, slight movement will bring static and cut outs on the right channel.

Drew suggested to have it reterminated to single end, and now it has Oyaide 3.5 end, rock solid.

Can't really comment on the comparison between balanced and SE, since I tried balanced only for a short while.

Nov 1, 2015 at 2:04 PM Post #13,131 of 22,945
Pro 50 are out and 846 in.

I don't think i have ever heard such a subbass performance from any headphone (let alone off an iem).

Kudos to Shure engineers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 1, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #13,132 of 22,945
Pro 50 are out and 846 in.

I don't think i have ever heard such a subbass performance from any headphone (let alone off an iem).

Kudos to Shure engineers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am listening to my 846 this morning and I totally agree the subbass performance sets a standard that no other iem can match. I listen mostly to classical and the bass forms the foundation for all classical music. I have more expensive iem's but they cannot compete with the bass performance of the Shure. The mid range is also very seductive on the Shure. The ability to adjust and even mod filters filters makes the 846 in a class by itself. I own other iem's but if I had to live with only one it would be the 846. I also find them more comfortable than many other iem's.

Nov 1, 2015 at 9:51 PM Post #13,133 of 22,945
How would you guys rate the shures with more contemporary music? By contemporary I mean EDM, orchestral (like Two Steps From Hell), or pretty much anything except classical or other Bach-like songs

Just wondering if it would be worth it over a less expensive pair.

Nov 1, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #13,134 of 22,945
How would you guys rate the shures with more contemporary music? By contemporary I mean EDM, orchestral (like Two Steps From Hell), or pretty much anything except classical or other Bach-like songs

Yes it would be worth it. You won't get this bass performance from any other iem. I own iem's with up to 12 drivers and they cannot compete with the bass of the Shure 846. If you can afford them this is a very safe purchase.

Nov 2, 2015 at 12:15 AM Post #13,135 of 22,945

As long as your source DAP and or DAC is at least worth as much as SE846. Then you can fully utilize the performance of SE846.

Nov 2, 2015 at 4:39 AM Post #13,136 of 22,945
Does anyone have problem with se846? Or know anything about avarage lifetime. I've owned a lot of earphones and i know cheap and midrange earphones but how long will se846 work 2000 3000 hours? I'm asking this because i find a new pair but with 1 year guarantee. Does it worth it my avarage listening rate is about 1500 hrs a year.

Nov 2, 2015 at 4:46 AM Post #13,137 of 22,945
Does anyone have problem with se846? Or know anything about avarage lifetime. I've owned a lot of earphones and i know cheap and midrange earphones but how long will se846 work 2000 3000 hours? I'm asking this because i find a new pair but with 1 year guarantee. Does it worth it my avarage listening rate is about 1500 hrs a year.
I have customs since 2006 and two universals from 2004 working. The ones that broke were when I sweated into the nozzle, when i droppen one into a glass of water and one I pulled then later snagged it which made one ear piece stop working. The ones I pound with portable amps still working fine.

Nov 2, 2015 at 6:23 AM Post #13,138 of 22,945

2013 for me and working like a charm

Nov 2, 2015 at 9:58 AM Post #13,139 of 22,945

The cable in my experience is the first thing to go bad with iem's and it can be replaced. It shouldn't be much of an issue. Shure has great customer service if anything happens.

Nov 2, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #13,140 of 22,945
Hi folks! Just curious.The se846 Have been out for an while now.Whats people's favorite filter now? I've been using the white filter for some time now,with yellow foam.But now im going back to the blue ones,because i changed to black foam (the yellow foam are brokens and didnt got those in store) ,and the sound was a little to Bright with them.The yellow foam suited better with white filter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back