Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Nov 3, 2015 at 10:08 PM Post #13,157 of 22,946
Um50pro is just a treble rolled off iem with a very muddy bass. Se846 is a different league.

You heard it here boys. I am so glad I don't place any stock in one-sentence reviews.
etysmile.gif

Nov 3, 2015 at 10:14 PM Post #13,158 of 22,946
I'm definitely not an IEM guy but I spend 2 hours a day commenting on the train to and from work and have worked my way up the IEM chain starting with Ety's, trying some lower end Westone's and Shure's and then finally graduating to the SE846.

I thought my end game was the SE535 but when I auditioned the SE846 a few times, I knew I had to have them.  The SE535 will stay in my stable and be my commenting IEM but even just over a day, I'm going to start to use the SE846 commuting.  For me, the fit is better and the sound, well, I'm now a believer!  And boy, do they look awesome! I'm on-call 7x25x365 so I have to have my iPhone6 glued to me all of the time.  I have the Shure iPhone cable and mated with my iPhone6, it's an extraordinary  combination.  I can take calls, follow up on emails anywhere, any time while enjoying a TOTL IEM. Almost makes work tolerable :)

At home, I still prefer the HD800/McIntosh combo but on the go, the SE846 with either the iPhone6 or the A&K Jr (with the ADL cable) definitely are an incredible experience. I'm so glad that I've been following this thread sine I got the SE315 (they're gone now but still have the Ety's for cycling).

Thanks all! M.

Quote:
  After just a few days of tenure i think that Shure SE846 is a game changer in the in ear realm.

Their ability to convey the emotions of the recorded music is stunning.

Straight off my iPhone 6 sound is extraordinaire

Industrial design, build quality, comfort and isolation are as benchmark as its sound.

Kudos to Shure for this classic product.

Nov 4, 2015 at 2:04 AM Post #13,161 of 22,946
I really do love the 846's, but frankly it was said correctly, they do deserve better than me. I don't appreciate them enough. Sure, when I listen to them I love them, but it's not fair for me to only listen to them every once in a while. Regretfully, I just don't have that much of a use for them anymore. In no way am I knocking them; they're one of the best sounding monitors I've ever heard, and I think the fact that you can change the nozzles and get them somewhat custom with scs makes them great—it's almost like an iem with modular upgrades which I find really cool. There are certain aspects of them I enjoy over my ue18's, and vice verca. In overall sound quality, I don't think one beats the other, but the fact that the 18's are full custom means that's what I lean to, especially when my most frequent use is at the gym.
I hope you know I was just playin' mate :wink:

Nov 4, 2015 at 2:24 AM Post #13,162 of 22,946
I really do love the 846's, but frankly it was said correctly, they do deserve better than me. I don't appreciate them enough. Sure, when I listen to them I love them, but it's not fair for me to only listen to them every once in a while. Regretfully, I just don't have that much of a use for them anymore. In no way am I knocking them; they're one of the best sounding monitors I've ever heard, and I think the fact that you can change the nozzles and get them somewhat custom with scs makes them great—it's almost like an iem with modular upgrades which I find really cool. There are certain aspects of them I enjoy over my ue18's, and vice verca. In overall sound quality, I don't think one beats the other, but the fact that the 18's are full custom means that's what I lean to, especially when my most frequent use is at the gym.

Sweat in the drivers can damage CIEMs, so if I were you I'd hang on to the 846 as a very capable backup.

Nov 4, 2015 at 4:10 AM Post #13,163 of 22,946
I happen to love the Westone UM Pro 50. Obviously, i'm aware that tonal balance is way off mark but i do like the monitor-esque sonic style from Westone UM line and its instrument separation and imaging. Its charming in an unusual way.

I'd rather the SE846 because of two main reasons (Aside that i can't afford both without a divorce ensuing :)

- i feel it is different from any other iem i have tried. That subbass invention of Shure must be to blame. Can not describe it but it feels so natural and full that it is hard to let go of it. Does not sound like an iem. It does not feel like recorded music. Just live music.Overall reward is bigger than the sum of the parts.

- industrial design and build quality mops the floor with that of the Pro 50. Running on limited budget i love my investments to last and i'd consider a miracle if a pair of Pro 50s would outlast a pair of SE846s.

Nov 4, 2015 at 5:01 AM Post #13,165 of 22,946
  Not sure if it has been posted before but there are 3 new colors... Black, Blue and Bronze

Yes, here's the first person who posted their black SE846: http://www.head-fi.org/t/675219/shure-se846-impressions-thread/13005#post_12013828.

A relevant post: http://www.head-fi.org/t/675219/shure-se846-impressions-thread/13110#post_12040100.

Thanks for the post, though. 
normal_smile .gif

Nov 4, 2015 at 6:30 AM Post #13,166 of 22,946
Have now modded the blue filters.I had some problem with one of the filter.The foam inside was pushed all the way back inside it.Had some trouble getting it out with the nedle.But finally got it out after some sweeting minutes. 
eek.gif
 lol. The foams where placed in a secured plastic bag.Havent listen yet.But with after listening to the blue filters,my conclusion was that the sound wasnt to bright.It was a little warmer/darker,and the highs/crispy sound was a little too laid back... I hope the blue filter mod will keep a lush,warm sound,but at same time a little bit of the highs that the white filter have :wink:

Nov 4, 2015 at 7:52 AM Post #13,167 of 22,946
Got the Se846 delivered today. I'm looking forward to test them in the evening 
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 4, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #13,168 of 22,946
I have to say though anyone who owns the se846 should have at least one sony dap in his collection.Be it F800,F880,A10,ZX2 all these work extremely well with the se846 technicalities aside.Some are a little warmer,some are brighter,the soundstage is  a little more open,but all the sonys have big soundstage,even the F800 series which i continue listen to this day has more width than the dx90 although it lacks in depth vs ZX2 but that's only if you a/b them right away.They are all high in clarity,punchy bass and don't have the thin treble of other daps(except maybe the a10 series which i auditioned 4 months ago and did have that impression vs f805 but its under debate due to limited time at store).Other daps may have more energy and a more searching treble but the musicality of sony daps with se846 is unquestionable,despite the difference in tone between models the general sony sound is there.

If i didn't have a sony dap i would definitely be looking at A20/ZX100 right now and pair it later with the mojo dac.Very good sound and battery on the go and se846 is easy too drive,thank god because the amp in all sonys is patheric and then at home add mojo which from reading initial impressions pair well with se846.

Advice to new se846 owners out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back