Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Nov 4, 2015 at 9:57 PM Post #13,171 of 22,946
So I got fed up with the cable I've been using. The cable is great for a glasses user such as myself however it is difficult when I want to store it as it tangles easily and also gets caught on my jacket zipper just about every time. I've always wanted to try different cables with the SE846 so I guess now is the time. I'm planning on buying a good dap in the new year (looking at the Questyle QP1 most likely). I just have my SE846 with my phone and I think it's time that I get something better within a reasonable budget as a source. Fiio has some cheap daps so I may use that in the meantime. I would buy the Questyle now except I have a trip coming up next month and that means high expenses so need to wait.

Nov 4, 2015 at 10:53 PM Post #13,172 of 22,946
  So I got fed up with the cable I've been using. The cable is great for a glasses user such as myself however it is difficult when I want to store it as it tangles easily and also gets caught on my jacket zipper just about every time. I've always wanted to try different cables with the SE846 so I guess now is the time. I'm planning on buying a good dap in the new year (looking at the Questyle QP1 most likely). I just have my SE846 with my phone and I think it's time that I get something better within a reasonable budget as a source. Fiio has some cheap daps so I may use that in the meantime. I would buy the Questyle now except I have a trip coming up next month and that means high expenses so need to wait.

Yes, the stock cable is so annoying for me as well, it might be tough, but it's too firm, and tangled easily.

You might like westone ultra thin or ES/UM Pro replacement cable, so flexible and and thin.

Nov 4, 2015 at 11:03 PM Post #13,173 of 22,946
  Yes, the stock cable is so annoying for me as well, it might be tough, but it's too firm, and tangled easily.

You might like westone ultra thin or ES/UM Pro replacement cable, so flexible and and thin.

I actually use the linum cable :p It's flexible but it tangles way too easily. I had a cable commissioned using wire from DHC so hopefully within a few weeks I'll have something new. 

Nov 6, 2015 at 8:28 AM Post #13,174 of 22,946
Not meaning to continue to rave, but I treated myself to a pair of SE846, and I am convinced, even early in my ownership, that this is one of the most exciting and satisfying purchases I have made in my portable audio era. The IEM's sound great, no quirks, deficiencies or quality control issues. The price is high, but everything about these just works and they are very rewarding.

Nov 6, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #13,176 of 22,946
Not meaning to continue to rave, but I treated myself to a pair of SE846, and I am convinced, even early in my ownership, that this is one of the most exciting and satisfying purchases I have made in my portable audio era. The IEM's sound great, no quirks, deficiencies or quality control issues. The price is high, but everything about these just works and they are very rewarding.

Owner since Monday. Feel exactly the same. And i came from Westone UM Pro 50.

If the tonality it's not right, then nothing else really matters.

Nov 6, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #13,177 of 22,946

Owner since the first batch in August of 2013 and still unequivocally love the sound of the 8s. You both have made a great choice a choice that endures. The 8s are part of the reason Time magazine rated Shure the best headphone company out of 18 in the world.
http://time.com/74886/best-headphones/

Nov 6, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #13,179 of 22,946
Owner since the first batch in August of 2013 and still unequivocally love the sound of the 8s. You both have made a great choice a choice that endures. The 8s are part of the reason Time magazine rated Shure the best headphone company out of 18 in the world.
http://time.com/74886/best-headphones/

Good to know I will continue to enjoy these!

Funny thing is, I was a long-time Westone owner and user, and at the time of the release of the SE846 and the Westone W60, I wasn't sure which one to go with. I made a pretty disappointing choice and went off the board with another company, and after a year of underwhelming performance (to my ears), iffy customer service and quality-control issues, I circled back to the SE846 vs. W60 quandary. Like I said, pulled the trigger on the 846 and haven't looked back!

Nov 6, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #13,180 of 22,946

It's interesting how a lot of happy SE846 owners are coming from Westone. It does seem that they are no longer as popular as they were in the past when they were one of the top choices for the universals in their different price ranges. I was thinking about a westone iem or Shure but ended up with Shure since I found a good deal on ebay from an authorized dealer and also there was much more information for the SE846 than any Westone.

I will try to get some better, closer pictures...It seems to me that the design has been slimmed down a bit compared to the original clear version

I guess it doesn't really matter now that I already own the SE846 but the black version looks better than my clear imo. If I had the choice I'd probably go with those instead.

Nov 6, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #13,181 of 22,946

It's interesting how a lot of happy SE846 owners are coming from Westone. It does seem that they are no longer as popular as they were in the past when they were one of the top choices for the universals in their different price ranges. I was thinking about a westone iem or Shure but ended up with Shure since I found a good deal on ebay from an authorized dealer and also there was much more information for the SE846 than any Westone.

I will try to get some better, closer pictures...It seems to me that the design has been slimmed down a bit compared to the original clear version

I guess it doesn't really matter now that I already own the SE846 but the black version looks better than my clear imo. If I had the choice I'd probably go with those instead.

Even if i prefer overall sound of the SE846 turning point was build quality. Pro 50 felt like a cheap toy when i had the SE846 in the palm of my hand. Pro 50 signature was rather peculiar but i enjoyed it a lot.

Bottom line: with Shure i wonder 'will this thing ever break?'. with Westone it was 'when will this thing break?'

Nov 6, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #13,182 of 22,946
I was pleasantly surprised about the build quality of the Shure. I've had previous iem's from a discontinued line and they always had build issues. Although that was typically the cable but with all these removable parts I thought it was just something else that can go wrong. I have no concerns about the build of these and from my past experience Shure has excellent customer service if something happens to my SE846.

It is a shame about the Westone iem you had that felt like a toy. Hopefully that is not the general trend of their products. I really liked their entire W line from the W1 to W4. Ive heard or owned all of them are with the exception of the W1 they were all very good. I was thinking about getting a spare iem since I travel a lot and didn't want to risk losing my SE846 so was thinking about a used W3.

Nov 6, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #13,183 of 22,946
I was pleasantly surprised about the build quality of the Shure. I've had previous iem's from a discontinued line and they always had build issues. Although that was typically the cable but with all these removable parts I thought it was just something else that can go wrong. I have no concerns about the build of these and from my past experience Shure has excellent customer service if something happens to my SE846.

It is a shame about the Westone iem you had that felt like a toy. Hopefully that is not the general trend of their products. I really liked their entire W line from the W1 to W4. Ive heard or owned all of them are with the exception of the W1 they were all very good. I was thinking about getting a spare iem since I travel a lot and didn't want to risk losing my SE846 so was thinking about a used W3.

Funny thing is, I retained my pair of W4 as a "back-up" pair in the event I have to have service on my top-tier IEM's. Strangely, the W4 were pressed into use when my previous pair of $1K+ IEM's were sent out for service. The quality and comfort of the W4 made me doubt the IEM's that were out for service and made me realize it was time to rid myself of those and go for the SE846. The W4 remain my back-up pair and I am thinking I won't need them that often, with the quality build of the SE846.

Nov 6, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #13,184 of 22,946

New W series build was better but UM still looks cheap and plasticky.

Nov 6, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #13,185 of 22,946
@natalieann

It would be nice if you could post some more pictures of the actual in-ears. 
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back