Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Oct 28, 2015 at 9:41 PM Post #13,081 of 22,954
True, the Layla is a beast on a completely different level in terms of size haha. And where did you find specs on the Aurisonics Bravo series that states that they have 37 db of isolation? Isolation by the way is how much outside noise the IEM blocks, and I highly doubt any vented IEM can out-isolate a closed IEM system.
I have the 846, Layla and Harmony (Bravo series iem) and the Harmony not only fits best it isolates very well.

Oct 28, 2015 at 11:18 PM Post #13,082 of 22,954
In my experience the 846 is easy to use on the go and it doesnt need that much power.

Yep, out of my 3 TOTL IEM's in my sig, 846's are definitely the easiest to drive.

Oct 29, 2015 at 12:55 AM Post #13,083 of 22,954
How about a new new Shure with 8 BA Drivers with a 8mm Dynamic Driver for sub bass. 2 of the BA Drivers for mid and upper bass to make the over all bass have layers.

Lol Shure doing a hybrid would be another curveball.

Oct 29, 2015 at 2:43 AM Post #13,084 of 22,954
Hi all, I am thinking of ordering Head Phone Lounge's cables for my 846. I'm torn in deciding between a OCC Copper Litz vs a "reference Litz". I listen to my 846 through HTC M9 mainly. Currently stock cable is failing on me after a year. I love my mids as well the bass that the stock cable is able to provide.

I am not a big fan of "neutral" sound. My worry is that the reference cable will remove the fun factor out of the 846. Could someone advise me if my perception of the "reference Litz" is wrong. 

Oct 29, 2015 at 3:12 AM Post #13,085 of 22,954
  Hi all, I am thinking of ordering Head Phone Lounge's cables for my 846. I'm torn in deciding between a OCC Copper Litz vs a "reference Litz". I listen to my 846 through HTC M9 mainly. Currently stock cable is failing on me after a year. I love my mids as well the bass that the stock cable is able to provide.

I am not a big fan of "neutral" sound. My worry is that the reference cable will remove the fun factor out of the 846. Could someone advise me if my perception of the "reference Litz" is wrong. 

@moedawg140 has an excellent review of the HPL silver reference Litz cable here.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/695297/the-new-headphone-lounge-thread/225#post_10747626

Honestly I think you can't go wrong with it. It has an excellent feel and sounds great. For me it sounded MORE fun bcos the treble opened up slightly.

Oct 29, 2015 at 3:20 AM Post #13,086 of 22,954

@moedawg140 has an excellent review of the HPL silver reference Litz cable here.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/695297/the-new-headphone-lounge-thread/225#post_10747626

Honestly I think you can't go wrong with it. It has an excellent feel and sounds great. For me it sounded MORE fun bcos the treble opened up slightly.

Thanks ezekiel for the link and opinon! Ted replied my email within minutes and recommended the silver litz too which seems to be the most popular option for 846 users. I've decided to go for the reference silver litz for now. 

Oct 29, 2015 at 7:57 AM Post #13,087 of 22,954
Thanks ezekiel for the link and opinon! Ted replied my email within minutes and recommended the silver litz too which seems to be the most popular option for 846 users. I've decided to go for the reference silver litz for now. 

Excellent choice. I was the first to buy Ted Allen's reference silver litz in February of 2014 and it is still going strong. Superb build quality and a great old fashioned craftsman.

Oct 29, 2015 at 8:28 AM Post #13,088 of 22,954

I am not a big fan of "neutral" sound. My worry is that the reference cable will remove the fun factor out of the 846. Could someone advise me if my perception of the "reference Litz" is wrong. evah I​

I used Ted's Silver Reference for a year with every filter variation and tip (Comply, Sensaphonic, etc). Great detail, but to my ears you loose a little warmth and silver is less forgiving on poor recordings (think early CD masters). I'm now with silver coated cooper and Spinfit MOD. You can't go wrong with Ted's cables and for general listening I think Copper is the way to go.

Oct 29, 2015 at 8:35 AM Post #13,089 of 22,954

Do you hear any hiss and can you mini adjust the volume to your desirable listening level on your M9 ?

Oct 29, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #13,090 of 22,954
Excellent choice. I was the first to buy Ted Allen's reference silver litz in February of 2014 and it is still going strong. Superb build quality and a great old fashioned craftsman.

Thanks Spook! Can't wait to get my hands on them!!!

I used Ted's Silver Reference for a year with every filter variation and tip (Comply, Sensaphonic, etc). Great detail, but to my ears you loose a little warmth and silver is less forgiving on poor recordings (think early CD masters). I'm now with silver coated cooper and Spinfit MOD. You can't go wrong with Ted's cables and for general listening I think Copper is the way to go.

Yea I was worried about the loss of warmth initially. But I'm willing to give the silver litz a try first. Lets see how things go.

Do you hear any hiss and can you mini adjust the volume to your desirable listening level on your M9 ?

I just gave a try on my M9. I was not able to pick up any hiss when i adjusted the volume on my M9. I tried it on three applications, spotify, nuetron and poweramp, did not come across any hiss as of yet. 

Or maybe my ears are just not that sensitive.
confused_face.gif

Oct 29, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #13,092 of 22,954
Oct 29, 2015 at 2:08 PM Post #13,094 of 22,954
Coming from a pair of Westone UM1 (which was quite nice imho) I just bought the SE846 and the difference is huge. To me, the main differences are in bass extension and resolution. I really love them. 

I listen the SE846 on different sources:

- Iphone 5s: OK but the sound could be better. The battery drain is huge. When I listen Tidal with SE846, I feel the battery would not last more than 3 or 4 hours.

- Macbook pro retina 13: To be honest I don't like the sound. Soundstage seems very narrow and sound is tiring. I suspect the quite high output impedance of the macbook pro to be responsible.

- Macbook pro via Schiit Modi 1/ Magni 1 combo: Very nice. The sound is a lot more neutral and airy. Soundstage is a lot wider. Only problem is the volume which gets very high very quickly. The volume gain is not adapted to low impedance iem. Problem is also channel imbalancement at low volume.

I was first looking for a DAP but finally ordered a Chord Mojo that I will use with iphone or macbook. I hope I will be happy with the results.

I also found that listening in the street is difficult. You hear each footstep. I don't know if it is microphonics related but I have not this problem with the W UM1.

Oct 29, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #13,095 of 22,954

- Macbook pro retina 13: To be honest I don't like the sound. Soundstage seems very narrow and sound is tiring. I suspect the quite high output impedance of the macbook pro to be responsible.

Actually, the MBP has got a very low output impedance. The main problem with it is the very noise floor/ground noise, which "veils" sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back