Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Aug 6, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #12,287 of 22,960
Got an appointment to get my impressions done next Wednesday. The audiologist will handle everything from start to finish, including a second appointment when the sleeves arrive to check fitting. To sweeten the whole deal...the office has moved about 30 minutes closer to where I live. For those that have custom sleeves already. What change did you find in the overall sound characteristics? I recognize that the sleeves impart two new dynamics. A better deeper seal, and a soft shell for the sound to travel through.

smile.gif

Aug 6, 2015 at 3:44 PM Post #12,288 of 22,960
After getting the SE846 about a week ago I'm still fascinated at how much I enjoy listening to music on the go now... isolation is just fantastic compared to everything else I have. I ordered the iPhone-compatible cable and use it mostly with an iPhone 6+
Just now I tried it out on my Benchmark DAC2, which seemed to have a bit hiss with my K3003. Fortunately I didn't hear that with the SE846. And given current temperatures in Vienna I'm quite happy to use an in-ear at home...

Still using the default configuration with the foam tips (something I normally don't like much) and the neutral filter -- about perfect. And it does exhibit very impressive, clear and deep reaching, though not overblown bass, nicely complimenting my musical preferences.

Aug 6, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #12,290 of 22,960
I just received the fioo e18. Should i set amp to high or low gain? Sorry for the dumb question. I'm still new to this. Also any cable upgrade available for the se846 that would enhance audio

Always set the gain to the lowest to properly power the headphone/IEM. With the SE846 low gain should be more than enough. To create soundstage use the gain low as possible and turn up the power. Advice from my brother who in his misspent youth was a sound engineer for a great regional band.

As for cable upgrade, I love and you cannot go wrong with Ted Allen at headphonelounge.com very reasonable prices, great build quality, fast turn around time and material sonic improvement.

Aug 6, 2015 at 8:44 PM Post #12,291 of 22,960
The only difference a cable will make is if you go from copper to silver, and even that's going to be a game of tiny percentages. Don't fall into the trap of getting a good headphone and then driving yourself crazy thinking if you just buy X, Y, or Z you'll wring that magical last bit out that makes them sound twice as good. 

Aug 6, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #12,292 of 22,960
I just received the fioo e18. Should i set amp to high or low gain? Sorry for the dumb question. I'm still new to this. Also any cable upgrade available for the se846 that would enhance audio

I would vote for no gain. You have an extremely sensitive pair of IEMs there. They really don't need extra juice.
If you have a soldering iron and a couple of triple-pole/double-throw switches, I'd suggest ABXing yourself with that amp (volume-matched with a SPL meter) and your un-amped source. I doubt you'll be able to hear any difference at all in SQ.

Next, put that top-flight cryogenically-frozen, oxygen-free, silver cable head-to-head with an old coat hanger and run the same ABX test and let me know what differences you hear! :wink:

Aug 6, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #12,293 of 22,960
  Got an appointment to get my impressions done next Wednesday. The audiologist will handle everything from start to finish, including a second appointment when the sleeves arrive to check fitting. To sweeten the whole deal...the office has moved about 30 minutes closer to where I live. For those that have custom sleeves already. What change did you find in the overall sound characteristics? I recognize that the sleeves impart two new dynamics. A better deeper seal, and a soft shell for the sound to travel through.

smile.gif

Actually I received mine not long ago, and unfortunately, I don't really enjoy them. Here's a link to my thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/775524/do-not-buy-custom-sleeves-for-se846

Aug 6, 2015 at 10:26 PM Post #12,294 of 22,960
This:

SE846's original sound signature is very neutral in my opinion

...threw me. What tips were you using to get a neutral sound out of the SE846? They're the bassiest headphone I own. 

Aug 6, 2015 at 11:27 PM Post #12,296 of 22,960
  Actually I received mine not long ago, and unfortunately, I don't really enjoy them. Here's a link to my thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/775524/do-not-buy-custom-sleeves-for-se846

+1. I also got only out of curiosity. It wrecked mesmerizing bass response of SE846, top end became shouty and painful, with no details. Used it for less than 3 hrs.
Sleeve itself had a great fit and was very comfortable. But, it puts the SE846 nozzle further out and sound tube also gets much narrower, which I think nerfs the sub-woofer like bass reverbs.

Westone star tips and shure yellow foams were the best for me, SQ wise. Yellow foams were getting dirty very quickly and was a hassle, Westone star tip was perfect.

Aug 7, 2015 at 1:22 AM Post #12,299 of 22,960

Lisq199, I had the exact same feelings about the SCS when I first got them. I left a review which echoes virtually every point you made:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/749859/review-chi-town-chi-sound-sensaphonics-custom-sleeves-is-a-slice-of-the-windy-city/15#post_11699431

However, if you read to the end of that post you'll see I changed my opinion. It turned out my SCS had a manufacturing problem (with the bore holes not aligning properly with the ends of the nozzles). Two things happened after that. 1) I took my existing pair of SCS and widened and aligned the bore holes with my Dremel and 2) I ended up getting a second pair from Sensaphonics (it's a long story which I'll save for another day). Both pairs now sound fantastic. Obviously it's tough to AB test shells and tips like this, but to me they sound every bit as good as the sound with my Comply foam tips. The newer set is also (at my request) slightly lower profile and less bulky than the first. As far as noise isolation goes, I don't think silicon shells are ever going to beat foam, but for most situations, the SCS are fine and I've gone from not using them at all to using them basically all the time.

If you have problems with your SCS, I'd recommend contacting Sensaphonics, because it seems like the majority are happy with their custom sleeves and if there's a problem it's likely something Sensaphonics can fix.

Aug 7, 2015 at 1:45 AM Post #12,300 of 22,960
In the interest of keeping thread count down, I'm going to double this up....

Westone star tips and shure yellow foams were the best for me, SQ wise. Yellow foams were getting dirty very quickly and was a hassle, Westone star tip was perfect.

I'm still getting used to my 846's and am experimenting a lot. I'm not big on foam eartips....no real idea why, just don't like them.  The Shure middle silicone olives are too small to create a good seal and the large olives are just a shade too big and become pretty uncomfortable after a period of time. Tonight, I've been playing with the Westone large (orange core) silicones are they seem to be very nearly perfect. 

I had been thinking about ciem's for a while, but I kept seeing chatter about huge waiting periods and etc.  So, that's why I went with the 846's.  I figured I'd be close to happy here until such time as the customer load goes down on ciem's...and then, if I still wanted to, I could look into it then.  Also because of the availability of sleeves.

So far, although it's been an admittedly short period of time I have been very impressed with the 846's so far....almost to the point of rethinking the whole ciem thing.   I AM curious, however......why don't you like your sleeves?

....sT

Users who are viewing this thread

Back