Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jun 25, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #11,791 of 22,945
@JaZZ:

Could you do a quick comparison in terms of hiss between the old and new X5, as well between the old and new X3?
I own the "old" X3 and people in whose opinion I trust who have had both said that the "old" X5 had more hiss than the X3. How do the new X5II and X3II compare to the old X5 in terms of hiss level?

Jun 25, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #11,792 of 22,945
  Source and files matter as well.  I really liked filterless a lot, but I also really love the smoothness in the bass of the modded- blues.  The empty blacks gave me too much bass, and the whites not enough.  And I'm using Sensaphonics, so that also is part of the equation.  Running FLAC out of my Pono, the modded blues give me, right now, what I like.  

I'm going to be test-driving the Cayin N6 within the next month, curious how the 846 sounds with it.  And, unlike the Pono it has an EQ, so I can do a bit of playing with frequencies as well.  

You!? 
eek.gif

Jun 25, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #11,793 of 22,945
  @JaZZ:

Could you do a quick comparison in terms of hiss between the old and new X5, as well between the old and new X3?
I own the "old" X3 and people in whose opinion I trust who have had both said that the "old" X5 had more hiss than the X3. How do the new X5II and X3II compare to the old X5 in terms of hiss level?

Hi Chris. I can hear no hiss with my three FiiO players: X5, X3 II, X5 II (order of purchase). I don't own the X3.

Jun 25, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #11,795 of 22,945
  @JaZZ:

Hiss?  Never with my X5, either.  

Jun 25, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #11,796 of 22,945
 Try the empty tube option!

This option is like no bass a completely detail sounding mids and highs. I tried that but definitely needed some bass and went back to Blues. Blacks i am not sure if they actually increase the bass effect. Didnt find a huge difference between the blue and black but there was definitely a huge difference in the rendered sound between white and blue.

Jun 25, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #11,797 of 22,945
@olddude and
@JaZZ:

I guess some people are just more sensitive to hiss than others. I and some others for example are definitely able to detect hiss on the X3 (and other DAPs), playback being paused (and also in quiet passages and no, it is not the band noise from the recording). Especially the SE846 reveals hiss quite easily.

Thanks anyway to both of you, but I guess I'll have to find someone who owns the old and new FiiO DAPs and has detected hiss on the old ones.

Jun 25, 2015 at 5:15 PM Post #11,798 of 22,945
Can anyone recommend small tips? Had a very serious ear infection a few years ago (nearly had to have my outer ear and parts of my jaw cut off serious) and I think my left ear canal is now smaller than right side. Even the smallest shure foam tip feel a little too tight after a short while.

Failing that some other possible solution please?

Jun 25, 2015 at 5:25 PM Post #11,799 of 22,945
You could try trimming some of the Shure ones down yourself (at your own risk, obviously, I haven't tried this).  The yellow foam ones are probably very easy to cut with an xacto knife or even scissors and you wouldn't break the bank getting more of them if necessary.

Jun 25, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #11,800 of 22,945
Can anyone recommend small tips? Had a very serious ear infection a few years ago (nearly had to have my outer ear and parts of my jaw cut off serious) and I think my left ear canal is now smaller than right side. Even the smallest shure foam tip feel a little too tight after a short while.

Failing that some other possible solution please?

How small do you want? You can try the Westone star tips, Comply foams (P-100s) or Spinfits (will probably need to add a adapter core to get it to fit tight). Should they all fail, Sensaphonics custom sleeves will fit.

Obviously, each option will change the sound a little (or a lot depending on who you talk to).

Jun 25, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #11,801 of 22,945
Never had hiss apart from once...just random while it was on pause.

Jun 25, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #11,802 of 22,945
How small do you want? You can try the Westone star tips, Comply foams (P-100s) or Spinfits (will probably need to add a adapter core to get it to fit tight). Should they all fail, Sensaphonics custom sleeves will fit.

Obviously, each option will change the sound a little (or a lot depending on who you talk to).

Thanks all I have right now are stock tips that came with the iems. I'm using the smallest memory foam in that ear. I see now that westone show the measurement as do comply. So will have to measure the ones I am using. For some odd reason shure don't seem to show this info on their site.

I tried a set of sipnfits on a deliffetent set and they seemed massive. Think they where ment to be medium, but even in my 'good' ear felt too big.

I have not heard of the last option but it sounds like a great idea, cheap way to turn them in to a ciem almost and sort my left ear problems out for good.

Will try the small westones and comply 1st and hope one of those does the trick.

Thanks

Jun 25, 2015 at 7:26 PM Post #11,803 of 22,945
So as a musician I'm pretty picky about sonic signatures (and also no doubt have some hearing loss here and there). I mostly gig as a bass player, and I favor a mid-forward sound (partly so I can hear myself in a busy mix), and strident highs drive me nuts as do overly thick low-mids. After cycling through a couple of different IEMs and headphones (as well as near field monitors for mixing - currently running Focal Solo 6be) I finally picked up a pair of Shure SE215. I'd ready about the "Shure mids" and damned if it isn't true, at least for what I listen for. Of course if I loved the SE215, then the 846 has to be even better, right? RIGHT?!?!?

Anywho, the 846s showed up today and they seem to be all that and a bag of chips even right out of the box. The only criticism I really have about the SE215 is they are a little thick in the lows. Thankfully the laid back highs and articulate mids make that tolerable unlike a lot of other "basshead" units. But the 846 really is just about right. Basically some of that low-mid wool is pulled back, and there is a lower extension that kicks rather wraps around. So far haven't messed with filters. Did change foams from medium to large but am back to medium. For the life of me I can't twist them off - I have to get my fingernail in and pry them away (same with the SE215), but beyond that no complaints.

On another note, while listening to various reference tracks, turns out this Jeff Pocoro guy could play a mean set of drums, Chick Corea isn't a bad keyboard player, and Chuck Rainey is a god among men...

Jun 25, 2015 at 7:32 PM Post #11,804 of 22,945
  @JaZZ:

I have the original X3 and X5, and I have never heard any hiss with either. This is using SE535 and SE846 headphones. I usually use a E12DIY with the X5 but with or without, no hiss. I have not heard the X3ii or X5ii.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back