Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Apr 21, 2015 at 9:29 AM Post #10,756 of 22,945
All right I'm feeling vociferous this morning so chime I will. If you have to ask about price then don't buy. I concluded early in my life that saving some bucks on balcony seating instead of front stage close seating was better value. It served me well till I upgraded then bye bye balcony. Same with wine, not that I don't enjoy some cheap swill from time to time. This is my perspective on life. Do less up the quality of what you do do, but hey that's a value call and depends on your lifecycle. Peace out folks.

Apr 21, 2015 at 6:40 PM Post #10,757 of 22,945
Is the $900 price difference vs the SE215 (whether Regular Editiin or Special Edition) worth it? Dang, $1k for an IEM?

Is the $900 price difference between your Audeze LCD versus a Beyer DT880 worth it?

Apr 21, 2015 at 7:38 PM Post #10,758 of 22,945
Thanks for all the comments/replies.

Re DT880 vs my LCD-2.2 price difference, haven't heard the DT880, but the LCD-2.2's price definitely is worth it vs. $100 headphones I had and tried, except or until later when I had the NAD HP50.

But the Shure 846 is different, because IMO an IEM has lots more uses, especially Shure's design (can be worn practically anywhere including while sleeping).

Apr 21, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #10,759 of 22,945

Re DT880 vs my LCD-2.2 price difference, haven't heard the DT880, but the LCD-2.2's price definitely is worth it vs. $100 headphones I had and tried, except or until later when I had the NAD HP50.

But the Shure 846 is different, because IMO an IEM has lots more uses, especially Shure's design (can be worn practically anywhere including while sleeping).

My 2 cents worth - ok, my $1K (Canadian) worth
cool.gif
. From my perspective they are worth it and from what I can gather through research, they are a bit of a bargain, strange as that sounds. - Compared to some of the high end customs, they hold up well to iem's selling for 50% more and they can be re sold. I've moved up from less expensive iem's to these and I find I spend way more time listening to them than anything I've owned before (mid priced). As you point out, depending on your lifestyle, you may end up listening to your iem's far more often and far longer than your LCD-2.2's. So in that sense it is a worthwhile investment compared to some other things you might spend your hard earned cash on. Always a tough decision - Good luck!

Apr 21, 2015 at 11:48 PM Post #10,761 of 22,945
  Less than 24 hours from hearing them for myself-- I can't wait! I'm sure they'll just get that much better once I get the sensaphonic sleeves. I just can't help but have that feeling wondering if I should've gotten similarly priced CIEM's instead, especially now that I'm spending the extra money on sensaphonics. I always do this to myself with expensive decisions 
angry_face.gif

Depends on what you're using them for - the silicone sleeves are very comfy in the gym and don't move around, I don't think you can match that with acrylic IEMs

Apr 22, 2015 at 3:40 AM Post #10,763 of 22,945
Well here we are....

The right earpiece has stopped working.

Apr 22, 2015 at 7:27 AM Post #10,765 of 22,945
Well here we are....

The right earpiece has stopped working.

Hey Black Label welcome back. I for one have missed your company here.

As for your problem, like me and almost all early buyers the right driver just quits but remember your 8s are under warranty so back to Shure they go. Remember to send both back so that you get two new IEMs. Rest assured Shure has superb customer service.

Apr 22, 2015 at 9:33 AM Post #10,766 of 22,945
Apr 22, 2015 at 10:16 AM Post #10,767 of 22,945
Spook76: I have missed you and all the fellow 8sters too! There's the good company; my misfortune and the arrival of the Velvets that have each compelled me to return. :D

I spoke with Jands earlier today and it has to be said the customer service is on the sort of dimension that only Blind Guardian would sing about. In spite of thevfact that I will be heading from one side of Australia to the other, they will take care of everything.

But I honestly thought I received the second batch...

Chodi: A good friend and I went through the motions with this earlier today.

As it happened, the right earphone would not detach from its cable without a certain degree of force, and the sound had cut out completely. I daresay once detached, we tinkered with the well worn stock canle and the shorter replacement cable; the end result being blunted signal transmission between said right earpiece. The canle is not at fault here, unfortunately.

Apr 22, 2015 at 3:49 PM Post #10,768 of 22,945
Is the $900 price difference vs the SE215 (whether Regular Editiin or Special Edition) worth it? Dang, $1k for an IEM?

It depends.

if you love incredible sounding music, then yes. They'd be worth $1500 - every penny. But if you are a person satisfied with simply great sounding music then stick with the 215s, because franklyignorance is bliss...and a whole lot cheaper.

personally, I'm never going back to great. Incredible suits me just fine.

Apr 22, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #10,769 of 22,945
It depends.

if you love incredible sounding music, then yes. They'd be worth $1500 - every penny. But if you are a person satisfied with simply great sounding music then stick with the 215s, because franklyignorance is bliss...and a whole lot cheaper.

personally, I'm never going back to great. Incredible suits me just fine.

Yes, I agree with all those stuff.

But I'm hoping you guys could discuss the point by point advantages or improvements in sound of the SE846 over the SE215.

Apr 22, 2015 at 10:46 PM Post #10,770 of 22,945

I personally liked the T1 better after listening to the 880 properly amped in the store, but the LCD2 is a damn good headphone and a good choice if you like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back