Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Sep 23, 2014 at 2:11 AM Post #6,226 of 22,945
I need to fit the whole package in to the pockets of my track pants when I go for a walk / jog. The Dx 90 + Meier Quickstep barely cuts it, hence was looking for a all in one TOTL DAP + Amp solution., that's why the HM 901 question.

Sep 23, 2014 at 2:19 AM Post #6,227 of 22,945
Haven't tried specifically the HM901, but the AK120II (or AK120, the price range of the HM901) sounded great to me.  After getting the 6 though, having a device that is a smartphone and sounds as good or better than the boutique DAP/amps out there is a simple decision to me.

Sep 23, 2014 at 2:39 AM Post #6,228 of 22,945
According to the sound engineer who runs AIX Records, this HTC phone is supposed to have amazing audiophile sound.  It`s a version of the current HTC flagship phone that was built with Harman-Kardan, the parent company of JBL and many other famous audio brands.   I`ve been loving my HTC Butterfly for almost 2 years and am thinking of upgrading to this . . .

http://www.htc.com/us/smartphones/htc-one-m8-harman-kardon/

Sep 23, 2014 at 2:43 AM Post #6,229 of 22,945
Anyone know how the 846 would sound on the ipod classic?? As you all know ipod classic is discontinued so I'm thinking of buying one for the last time just want to make sure they pair well together , thanks

Sep 23, 2014 at 2:48 AM Post #6,230 of 22,945
Quote:
  According to the sound engineer who runs AIX Records, this HTC phone is supposed to have amazing audiophile sound.  It`s a version of the current HTC flagship phone that was built with Harman-Kardan, the parent company of JBL and many other famous audio brands.   I`ve been loving my HTC Butterfly for almost 2 years and am thinking of upgrading to this . . .

Looks good.  I wonder if that edition is based more (or all) on the accompanied earphones, because if that's the case, that defeats the purpose of using the M8 Harman Kardon Edition with the SE846.  Maybe I can find that version at my local Verizon store and demo it.  I know the LG G3 sounds great as well.  It's great that most smartphone companies are stepping up their audio game, which means a win for the masses, and audiophiles alike.
ksc75smile.gif

Sep 23, 2014 at 2:52 AM Post #6,231 of 22,945

Anyone know how the 846 would sound on the ipod classic?? As you all know ipod classic is discontinued so I'm thinking of buying one for the last time just want to make sure they pair well together , thanks

Well, since you said 'classic', I have the original iPod Nano 4GB, and in my opinion, they don't pair very well together.  My iRiver (now AK) Clix 2 sounds better by comparison, is smaller, has frequency EQ and surround sound options, and plays flash games.

Sep 23, 2014 at 10:00 PM Post #6,232 of 22,945
I tried the SE 846 out of a Samsung Galaxy player 3.6 , No comparison with the DX 90 + Meier Quickstep. I haven't tried it with an iphone but based on this experience IMO without a top class DAP / Amp you can only hear 70% (a rough estimate) of what the SE846's are capable of.

I am really tempted to get the HM 901, any feedback on their synergy with 846 ?

Give it a few days, my friend has a 901, I shipped him my 8's to review. I've asked him to post his findings here, I'm sure he will be using his 901.

Sep 23, 2014 at 10:20 PM Post #6,233 of 22,945

Misinformation regarding compression from Harmon for the sake of their marketing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDZcz-V29_M

Harmon Clari-fi used on HTC which is nothing but marketing fluff.  Restore Fidelity?!  Whatever. 
rolleyes.gif

Sep 23, 2014 at 10:57 PM Post #6,234 of 22,945

I wound up getting the Space Gray iPhone 6, 128GB just so I don't have to ever delete any apps that I really like to create more space for installs, again!  My fiancé upgraded from a 4S to a Gold iPhone 6, 64GB. Yes...I was technically 3rd, but another person came in with a person who was waiting during the night, just like my fiancé did the morning of with me.  The waiting wasn't that bad either, as being a wrestler, waiting to weigh in when you are 20+ pounds below your normal weight is much more worse of a feeling than sitting in line for a night.  Things weren't as crazy over here I would guess (haven't been around Apple stores for a launch), but AT&T next door had zero Pluses, and Verizon only had 3 (none in the 128GB configuration).  Once people found out they couldn't get the Pluses, they just cursed and left the store.  I initially wanted the Plus, but after finding out they only had 3 Pluses at the corporate location I waited (all were sold), I was pretty distraught.  However, I saw a Gold 6 Plus available to pick up and play around with, so once I got a chance to actually attempt to type with one hand, I wasn't able to hit the keys on the other side of the screen of my thumb without putting my assured grip in jeopardy.  In addition, I planed to put a case on any phone as well, so I knew the Plus' size would be even more humongous.  It didn't take me long to be happy with being able to get the iPhone 6 instead of the Plus.  Out of 4 different benchmarks, the 6 and Plus split wins.  Good enough for me!  And currently, the 6's YouTube clips look much better/clearer than the Plus' when I did side by side tests of the 6 and Plus.

The blue and white filter are usually the two filters people gravitate to the most, with black being the filter that some people like as well.  The only reason why I modded my black filters was because I knew I disliked the black ones the most and wouldn't miss the sound signature from the filters.  Once I modded the black filters though, I felt the sound was smooth and enveloping, while still keeping the treble/frequency response of the white filters.  I feel no need to change filters, which is also a plus - I don't like taking off my SCS, as I feel they are truly a part of the SE846 and need to stay on as I feel this is how the SE846 should be.

Yeah, coming from a 5, I feel the 6 is a good upgrade, especially regarding the camera and audio departments.  If a person is coming from a 5s, then I feel the upgrade is only worthwhile if they truly want a larger screen.

Completely agree. I was about 99% sure I wanted a 6, and after I got to finally hold a plus in my hand it confirmed it for me. I love the higher resolution screen on the plus, but I can't see myself using it as it'll barely fit in my pocket. I got ghost armour full body shield on my iPhone 6 and will probably pick up a bumper case (like the minimalistic look). Then afterwards I found Skinomi sells a full body skin which is only $2 on Amazon right now ><. Oh well lol. Good buy for anyone looking slim protection.

As for the 846's, has anyone had success removing the memory portion of the stock cable? I slightly recall reading about this somewhere on head-fi but can't seem to find it. I removed the memory portion of my UE900 stock cable and love it. Way more flexible and comfortable to wear. Am scared to try it on the shure's though cos the metal wire portion seems more difficult to remove

Sep 23, 2014 at 11:10 PM Post #6,235 of 22,945

Completely agree. I was about 99% sure I wanted a 6, and after I got to finally hold a plus in my hand it confirmed it for me. I love the higher resolution screen on the plus, but I can't see myself using it as it'll barely fit in my pocket. I got ghost armour full body shield on my iPhone 6 and will probably pick up a bumper case (like the minimalistic look). Then afterwards I found Skinomi sells a full body skin which is only $2 on Amazon right now ><. Oh well lol. Good buy for anyone looking slim protection.

As for the 846's, has anyone had success removing the memory portion of the stock cable? I slightly recall reading about this somewhere on head-fi but can't seem to find it. I removed the memory portion of my UE900 stock cable and love it. Way more flexible and comfortable to wear. Am scared to try it on the shure's though cos the metal wire portion seems more difficult to remove

I purchased a Puregear holster case from a Verizon store for my iPhone 6.  It's alright, but I will take it back one Verizon's holster case arrives at my doorstep.  Before being able to order the Verizon case/holster, I ordered an i-Blason case that looks exactly like the Verizon case.  So I'm going to check all three out and pick the one I like the most.  It will more than likely be my Verizon case, because I loved the iPhone 5 version of it.  As for the screen protector, I am using the Zagg Invisible Shield Glass model.  It has complete clarity and feels super smooth to the touch, but since the phone body curves, they only cut out enough glass to cover the screen, so there is a smidgen of light coming through the sides if you tilt the phone either side to side way.  I emailed the CEO of Zagg, and a person emailed back saying they would let the higher ups know about the issue.  Hopefully they will make it a little wider, and they will allow the upgrade for free.  We'll see.

Regarding removal of the memory wire, check out my Sensaphonics Custom Sleeves review below.  I explain how in detail to specifically remove the memory wire.

The memory wire portion of my HL Silver Litz is so much thinner and more pliable than Shure's memory wire (thinner gauge sheath/wire), so it's not a problem for me to keep it on.

Oh, and you know how the iPhone 6 Plus' camera is supposedly better than the 6's?  Well - there was a benchmark done, and the Plus scored one point more than the 6 regarding picture quality, but the 6 scored one point more than the Plus regarding video quality, because the Plus actually introduced artifacts with its OIS.  How about them apples?

Sep 23, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #6,236 of 22,945
I am a huge fan of the tempered glass screens too (used it on my old iPhone 5), but yes, the curved glass issue bugs the crap out of me. Lol... actually I have ordered 5 different screen protectors so far including the Zagg glass one (you can call me a bit of a perfectionist). So far, the best one fit wise I found was this one on Amazon for about $6... have yet to receive it so can't comment on it yet. 

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00NLALM94/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Right now, I'm using the Ghost Armor cos it gives the best overall coverage (although I'm not a fan of how it feels or the texture). The matte is great for the back though, you can barely tell its on.

Wow I didn't know that about the camera! Good to know, in that case we didn't really miss out too much then by going with the 4.7" option.

And awesome, thanks for the link! Hah, i guess it was actually you then where I read about it lol. I will give it a try! Am back to the white filters now.... lol

Sep 23, 2014 at 11:40 PM Post #6,237 of 22,945
  I am a huge fan of the tempered glass screens too (used it on my old iPhone 5), but yes, the curved glass issue bugs the crap out of me. Lol... actually I have ordered 5 different screen protectors so far including the Zagg glass one (you can call me a bit of a perfectionist). So far, the best one fit wise I found was this one on Amazon for about $6... have yet to receive it so can't comment on it yet. 

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00NLALM94/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Right now, I'm using the Ghost Armor cos it gives the best overall coverage (although I'm not a fan of how it feels or the texture). The matte is great for the back though, you can barely tell its on.

Wow I didn't know that about the camera! Good to know, in that case we didn't really miss out too much then by going with the 4.7" option.

And awesome, thanks for the link! Hah, i guess it was actually you then where I read about it lol. I will give it a try! Am back to the white filters now.... lol

Yeah, I had the HDX (self-healing) version on my iPhone 5, but it wasn't super smooth to the touch.  I am somewhat a perfectionist as well (oxymoron).  I saw a typo in my last post you quoted me - stuff like that irks me.  Moving to the tempered glass is definitely nice as it keeps very similar qualities to the OEM glass.

Nah, we didn't miss much at all.  I have read that people who purchased the Plus without testing it out first had problems trying to exchange it for a 6.  So one guy ran a Craigslist ad saying he would trade his Plus for a 6, plus a little bit of money, and he was able to do the trade/exchange that way.

Yeah, we didn't miss much at all regarding the camera or going with the 4.7" option.

No worries regarding the link, happy to help when I can.  Remember, test/perform the memory wire removal on the stock Shure length you do not normally use first, so in the unlikely event you mess up, you wouldn't have messed up your better stock length that you use the most.

If you wind up not liking the black filters, try modding them.  You may like the results.
bigsmile_face.gif

Sep 23, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #6,238 of 22,945
I've used glass-M tempered glass with rounded edges for my iphones and they're ultra smooth to touch even smoother than the original screen and also ultra tough. 
best I've used and gives the most clarity of anything else I've used. it's on pre-order now for the iphone 6.

Can someone explain to me how to mod the black filter?

thanks

Sep 23, 2014 at 11:50 PM Post #6,239 of 22,945
  I've used glass-M tempered glass with rounded edges for my iphones and they're ultra smooth to touch even smoother than the original screen and also ultra tough. 
best I've used and gives the most clarity of anything else I've used. it's on pre-order now for the iphone 6.

Can someone explain to me how to mod the black filter?

thanks

LOL.  Sorry, just had to laugh because this is like the umpteenth time you asked - and I remember a member requesting/asking you to check the thread, as this (modding filters) have been discussed extensively.  Anyways, you just take out/remove the foam dampers out of the black filters.  That's it.

Sep 23, 2014 at 11:57 PM Post #6,240 of 22,945
yes I've read this whole 400 pages before I bought the 846 .. but I just can't seen to find or recall anyone posting clear instructions.
I will try this mod for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back