Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Aug 2, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #4,876 of 22,960
Can someone explain is terms a simpleton such as myself can understand, What the advantage of a Dual DAC has over a single one wrt the AK100ii and the AK120ii. And of course how this plays out with the 8s.

Does the Dual DAC make the 8s sound better, worse or same.?

While I know the old 120 is said to sound better than the new 100ii and 120ii have the improved UI and more storage. (I am not sure if the old 120 has a balanced and normal out.)

If I buy a unit with a balanced out (Spook says balanced is a whole new world of soundstage) Then I become one of Ted's clients that is for certain.

With proper hunting and research I could be into a new and better DAP by Christmas. - Ship to USA no taxes.

Thanks to the Brain trust in advance

Monty

Aug 2, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #4,877 of 22,960
  I upgrade my cable when I have a physical problem with the old. I have the Fiio replacement because I hated the feel of the stock. That was enough for me.

+1

Aug 2, 2014 at 12:23 PM Post #4,878 of 22,960
  I heard of platinum but honestly I really don't heard of gold cable~~ Wao, I really like to listen to it if I can found one, but the price...damn I think I better buy a gold bar instead of a gold cable LOL

Well I have been living in Hong Kong for the past six years and one good thing about being in Hong Kong is all the Audio stores I can demo every cable and almost every brand. Anyone can stay all day demoing anything including earphones, Daps etc. I demoed various Copper/Silver combo with good results but when I demoed the cable that had Copper/Silver/Gold wow a huge improvement. I usually do blind tests meaning I dont ask for brand nor materials used. If sounds good I will ask materials used and price.

Aug 2, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #4,879 of 22,960
  Can someone explain is terms a simpleton such as myself can understand, What the advantage of a Dual DAC has over a single one wrt the AK100ii and the AK120ii. And of course how this plays out with the 8s.

While I know the old 120 is said to sound better than the new 100ii and 120ii have the improved UI and more storage. (I am not sure if the old 120 has a balanced and normal out.)

If I buy a unit with a balanced out (Spook says balanced is a whole new world of soundstage) Then I become one of Ted's clients that is for certain.

With proper hunting and research I could be into a new and better DAP by Christmas. - Ship to USA no taxes.

Monty

Better in what sense? Some might like it sounding analog while another will want more detailed (Digital).

Aug 2, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #4,880 of 22,960

Monty

Just remember they were critical of the new DAPs from AK b/c they seemed like good/better/best versions where the AK240 was Best.  It seemed something bothered them about not getting best within a certain sonic signature.  They felt like the Ak120 represented best of its own unique signature.  I have not listened to them so I am simply interpreting what I read.  I could be entirely wrong. However, If I was to buy one based on all the posts and impressions, it would be in the new line-up (any of them would probably do).  I seem to think the signature of the new DAPs from AK might be a better match with the Shures (complimentary).  I fear the AK120s would possibly be too much of a good thing with the warm presentation.  Now the GUI, no question what is better in that regard.

I wish there was a local AK dealer nearby where I could audition them.  Oh well!

Aug 2, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #4,881 of 22,960
  Better in what sense? Some might like it sounding analog while another will want more detailed (Digital).

I love my detail but I like the warmth. When I think "Digital" I think too bright. But then my linguistic point of reference is the 80s and the introduction of the CD and "Digital Recording"

I have a shop nearby that sells the AK stuff. I guess at the end of the day I trust my ears.

The Nigel Tufnel in me likes the idea of Dual DAC (even though I have no real idea what one does beyond the obvious Digital to Analog Converter let alone what two might achieve) Because it is one more.

Aug 2, 2014 at 1:48 PM Post #4,882 of 22,960
Right now it's a toss up between dx90 and ak 100 mark II. Seems like most 846 owners are amazed how well the dx90 pairs. I found a brand new ak100 mark II for 600, seems like a good deal. I will most likely place the order later today. Is there anything around 600 worth looking at?

I would suggest zx1 over the AK. 846 seems to pair better with sony imo

Aug 2, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #4,883 of 22,960
Oh I hear you on digital grain.  I have long had tubes in my home stereo, and home headphone rig.  I even love Vinyl for that reason.  Lately, I find that a well implemented DAC and excellent lossless files get me pretty darn close to the promise land.  The apes would not like this.

I found a local dealer that has them in stock.  I plan to swing by today to listen to the AK100 ii especially.  If there is grain, I will report back later today.  They also have a demo unit for sale supposedly really cheap...please help me exercise restraint.

Aug 2, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #4,884 of 22,960

I love my detail but I like the warmth. When I think "Digital" I think too bright.

That either means a bad digital output or that you're unused to full accuracy. Properly done, digital is simply an exact translation of the source audio. No coloring or physical limitations from the medium, just the exact original soundwave pumped into your earholes. 

Aug 2, 2014 at 2:12 PM Post #4,885 of 22,960
  Oh I hear you on digital grain.  I have long had tubes in my home stereo, and home headphone rig.  I even love Vinyl for that reason.  Lately, I find that a well implemented DAC and excellent lossless files get me pretty darn close to the promise land.  The apes would not like this.

I found a local dealer that has them in stock.  I plan to swing by today to listen to the AK100 ii especially.  If there is grain, I will report back later today.  They also have a demo unit for sale supposedly really cheap...please help me exercise restraint.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. Resist it, and your soul grows sick with longing for the things it has forbidden to itself, with desire for what its monstrous laws have made monstrous and unlawful."
- Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray Ch. 2

While you are there your thoughts on the 120ii and how that Dual DAC changes things would be great. ....$700 great. Although part of the price uptick is storage $500 Great Cheers

Castle Speakers on big System  did the trick for me way back in my days of Big setups. It was then that I turned away from "Reference or Monitor Speakers.  Bring on that warm British inaccuracy. My house is not contusive to such a set up anymore (Small floor plates.. And Big ass speakers do not pair well)

Too bad Meridian doesn't make a portable DAP.

The Apes and their poorly developed Musical Appreciation (The only song they like is I Touch Myself by the Devyinals ). They hate us for our music. They hate us period This is why should they ever rise to the level of Apex Species on this planet, not only will they hunt us, (and hunt us they will), but destroy all things electrical just to deny us our Sonic Bliss. With them in charge when the batteries run dry the only musical note you will ever hear is the sound of the Gorilla Blowing His horn at the outset of the hunt

Hairy assed Luddites with a bad attitude and delusions of grandeur.

Aug 2, 2014 at 2:32 PM Post #4,886 of 22,960

Once you go balanced you'll never look back. I haven't touched my stock cables, hell I don't even have a balanced to SE cable. 

Aug 2, 2014 at 2:54 PM Post #4,887 of 22,960
I got my balanced silver cable today. I use it for my AK100II. I didn't really notice direct improvements so far. I listened to the songs that have specific features that stand out. The balanced output on the AK100II seems to have a much lower volume output. When I go balanced, I need to turn up the volume. When I did, I didn't hear improved sound. At the same volume level, the stock cable has a very impressive sound while the balanced setup sounds veiled and weak (bass, mids, dynamics). I don't like to increase the volume, because it's already at 48 out of 70.

Using the stock cable, level 48 is so loud that I often lower it. I don't blame the cable as it's pure silver which is as good as it gets. I think the balanced out of the AK100II leaves a bit to be desired. I expected it to have more or less the same sound with a completely black background.

I will test some more. It's hard to switch cables for comparison, because I don't want to wear down the connections.

Aug 2, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #4,888 of 22,960
  Well I have been living in Hong Kong for the past six years and one good thing about being in Hong Kong is all the Audio stores I can demo every cable and almost every brand. Anyone can stay all day demoing anything including earphones, Daps etc. I demoed various Copper/Silver combo with good results but when I demoed the cable that had Copper/Silver/Gold wow a huge improvement. I usually do blind tests meaning I dont ask for brand nor materials used. If sounds good I will ask materials used and price.

I travel to Hong Kong almost every month from China, so have you ever heard of Labkable Cable? Normally which Audio stores you been to?

Aug 2, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #4,889 of 22,960
  I travel to Hong Kong almost every month from China, so have you ever heard of Labkable Cable? Normally which Audio stores you been to?

I have Labkable for the 846 and their main store is at Mong Kok but many Audio stores sales their cable. You can try 1. On The Go Audio (Wan Chai), 2. Jaben (Mong Kok), DMA (Wan Chai), LEAR Audio has their store (Mong Kok). There are three other stores I visit but I havnt gone in a while but two are also in Mong Kok and one at Admiralty.

Aug 2, 2014 at 3:58 PM Post #4,890 of 22,960
I got my balanced silver cable today. I use it for my AK100II. I didn't really notice direct improvements so far. I listened to the songs that have specific features that stand out. The balanced output on the AK100II seems to have a much lower volume output. When I go balanced, I need to turn up the volume. When I did, I didn't hear improved sound. At the same volume level, the stock cable has a very impressive sound while the balanced setup sounds veiled and weak (bass, mids, dynamics). I don't like to increase the volume, because it's already at 48 out of 70.

Using the stock cable, level 48 is so loud that I often lower it. I don't blame the cable as it's pure silver which is as good as it gets. I think the balanced out of the AK100II leaves a bit to be desired. I expected it to have more or less the same sound with a completely black background.

I will test some more. It's hard to switch cables for comparison, because I don't want to wear down the connections.

Not that I understand these things at all but PERHAPS (as I have no idea) it has something to do with the Balanced output being 1ohm and the Regular Headphone output being 2ohms.
Again I do not understand any of this.. I do not understand despite repeated explanation why electricity doesn't spill out of the sockets when nothing is plugged in. I am satisfied that for some rational provable reason it does not. Though given my level of comprehension I imagine Small pixies pitting their fingers in the sockets.

If I am correct this proves a broken clock tells the right time twice a day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back