Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jun 26, 2014 at 2:00 PM Post #3,736 of 22,945
For portable cable it is desirable for it to be light and flexible. If you are prepared to pay can always commission thicker cable for sake of perception but that does not necessarily equate to strength. Probably best to wear inside top to minimise chance of snagging

Jun 26, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #3,738 of 22,945
I sold them because I´m trying some of the best universal (and JH13 fp) before change to customs and I need the money to my journey. Now I´m going to try Tralucent 1p2. If they don´t like me most than JH, I´ll go for a pair of JH13. I´m trying to avoid custom due to some inconveniences, but JHs is at this moment best sound I´ve heard IMHO. 

Jun 26, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #3,740 of 22,945
  I use my 846 4+ hours a day to include heavy uses during workouts. Has anyone had any issues with the stock cables? Does anyone have any recommendations for a heavy duty aftermarket cable for workouts? I've looked at a lot of after market cables but none of them look like workout cables. 

I have had no issues with the stock cables regarding durability.  I believe the stock cable, which is reinforced with kevlar, to be one of the most durable and strong cables that you can buy.  Definitely the strongest at its price point.  I work out with them as well, and this includes hiking, the stock cable's MMCX connection is super strong, so no worries regarding the cable yanking out of the earphone(s) as I have never had that happen.  The MMCX connector is meant to not come out at other than straight-on pulls.

I cannot imagine wearing these to the gym. I would never have $1000+ at the mercy of an accidental cable snag or heavy sweat. 

I understand why you feel that way.  But if the stock cable snags or breaks if a power saw cuts it (easiest way to break the cable), it won't affect the earphones in any way, and you can just replace the cable for ~ $35.  I would have agreed regarding the sweat and possibly harming the earphones, but the dampers and/or lower baffer/guard of the filters block the sweat/liquid from getting into the earphone housing, as I have had the audio cut out because the left filter had enough sweat in to block the audio from being heard.  The housing of the earphones were not affected.  Having the Sensaphonics custom sleeves means I do have to worry about sweat/liquid getting into the nozzle because of the longer and curved ear canal tube.  The earphones are very sturdy and aren't meant to be babied, so I take that in stride and use them for everything (okay, I don't wrestle with them on), but for activities like running, hiking, walking around on a hot day, I don't bat an eye.  Anyways, if they do get damaged (which they shouldn't because they are in my ears), my earphones would be the last thing I would worry about because I would probably be in much worse shape.

Jun 26, 2014 at 3:10 PM Post #3,741 of 22,945
Could you not track down someone with lots of iem and pay travel costs.... Would be cheaper

Re: roxanne, Rudi and several others also say better than SE846. As well they should be for the price

I can't wait to try out the Roxanne (and others) at the LA Head-Fi meet coming up so I can do some comparisons as well.  They may be overall better, but if the bass of the Roxanne (and others) aren't as deep, visceral and eardrum-thumping as the Shure SE846's, I will count those IEM's as a loss. 
cool.gif

Jun 26, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #3,742 of 22,945
I can say happily that I have reached an end to my search for sonic purity in my set up with the SE846 as it's cornerstone. Is there better, certainly, but like anything in life one has to learn to stop "chasing the dragon." I have never wanted to be counted as an audiophile but a lover of music and I have never lost sight that my rig merely facilitates that enjoyment.

Jun 26, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #3,743 of 22,945
Exactly. At this level there is no "the best" and constantly hunting will leave one burned out. The danger of having a honeymoon feeling with any high end headphone that's new can keep you feeling like you need that new thing because for that brief moment it's "better". The 846 turned my music into magic, as will any of the others, it's just a matter of shade.

Jun 26, 2014 at 4:21 PM Post #3,746 of 22,945
True words. Always will be something better, but music is the most important part.

Yes. Music (AND Customer Service/Support - just in case things go wrong) is the most important part

Jun 26, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #3,747 of 22,945
I can say happily that I have reached an end to my search for sonic purity in my set up with the SE846 as it's cornerstone. Is there better, certainly, but like anything in life one has to learn to stop "chasing the dragon." I have never wanted to be counted as an audiophile but a lover of music and I have never lost sight that my rig merely facilitates that enjoyment.

Exactly. At this level there is no "the best" and constantly hunting will leave one burned out. The danger of having a honeymoon feeling with any high end headphone that's new can keep you feeling like you need that new thing because for that brief moment it's "better". The 846 turned my music into magic, as will any of the others, it's just a matter of shade.

And thus is the line between addiction and passion (albeit a very fine line).

On a side note would it not be possible to put a Custom Sleeve on a Roxanne and have the "best of both worlds". Though I can't imagine JHA endorsing it through a recommended third party. They would, I imagine given their size, REALLY stick out..

I really need my SCS back. "Resting" my ears is like watching daytime television.

Jun 26, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #3,748 of 22,945
I just spent a bit of time listening to my 8s. Very happy - I also feel as if I have reached an audio cornerstone and will satisfied for quite some time. After having a battle of the tips session to find which tips I prefer I ended up at the stock Shure Foam Olives (2) that came on them lol. 

I have a problem though. I feel like the memory wire is more trouble than its worth. It moves and can create a lever effect that moves the IEMs while they are in my ears witch changes the tone. I remember this from my 315s. I I like the cable but do not like the memory wire. 

Ive heard of people removing the memory wire and considering I have 2 cables I dont mind attempting this. Im pretty handy with electronics ect but Id like to know where to start and hear some opinions. 

Thanks again Monty for helping me decide to make the jump. I appreciate all the advice. 

Jun 26, 2014 at 7:57 PM Post #3,749 of 22,945
I haven't done it myself but I believe the memory wire is just a second plastic sleeve with a bit of wire around the cable and you can "remove" it just by trimming it off.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/723306/review-sensaphonics-custom-sleeves-in-crystal-blue-for-the-shure-se846

EDIT: I just did it on my 48" cable with (not kidding) a kitchen knife and an eyeglasses screwdriver. Took about five minutes and the plastic is a little rough at the end (only visually), but it worked. SIGNIFICANTLY nicer. No more moving when I yawn.

Jun 26, 2014 at 8:48 PM Post #3,750 of 22,945
OKAY!  I have heard enough of the SE846.  I figured it all out and I will be sending them back and maybe considering W50 or W60.

Bottom Line:  I listen relatively loud to really engage myself into the music (but certainly not deafening volumes).   Regardless of how good the bass is and even the midrange clarity of SE846 which is also excellent.....there are 2 issues that no tip or amp or EQ will ever cure that do not sit well with me.
1.  Midrange is too forward for my tastes (but this is what Shure does).  
2.  There is surely an upper midrange spike I do not like.

Combine #1 and #2 with decent volumes and you have a very fatiguing earphone.  Granted, I am not ripping Shure or anything, this is just my personal take based on the kind of sound presentation that works for me based on my music and listening habits.  But it is also well worth noting.  I stick the W40 back in my ears and yes, it is darker...but the treble still shimmers and it is SO much easier on the ears and quite frankly....just as engaging.  Being lighter is also a plus.  The better bass of SE846 is not enough to trump W40.  I am not sure I would even trade SE846 straight up for W40.  It's that close IMHO.   

Really not much else to say other than I am sure Shure invested a lot of R&D in making SE846 but based on what you get with SE535 at about $400....man, I just do not see a over double price upgrade EVEN considering the law of diminishing returns which I am well aware of.  

I will re-iterate from earlier post, the SE846 has nothing on the JH13 or JH16.  Not even in the same class.  It is simply a SE535 with a subtle subwoofer while still maintaining EXCELLENT clarity.  Nothing more.

I might say be careful trusting ANY review where a reviewer was comped the IEM's.  Huge bias going obviously.

IMHO if my W40's had a little bit more clarity in the midrange it might be the perfect IEM.  It is soooo close to perfection.  Bass is fine.....maybe 20% less abundant as SE846 but just as textured and detailed, no question.  Let's not forget...when they made W4 it was about a "better" more detailed and textured bass (2 drivers) with a very transparent and neutral IEM.  Then with W40, they bumped up the bass about 15-20%.   What more would a person want?

On my way to go research W50 which would be waaay easier on the pocketbook.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back