Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jun 23, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #3,616 of 22,954
Ok then Chord has a distributer here in Toronto (bluebirdmusic.com). Thankfully it is past 5pm and they are closed so I will not know of a retailer nearby until tomorrow....

Dare I ask? Yes I dare How much is this little shiny marvel. (seriously it looks like a piece of interior wall form the TARDIS)

Clearly it is of Gallifreyan design so I imagine it ain't cheap as Time Lord Tech and Knowhow remains at a premium

It looks self aware (typical of TARDIS/Time Lord technology

Jun 23, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #3,617 of 22,954
Hpa8 is amazing, perhaps too much dac amp for the 846 1500$ Fostex.

Jun 23, 2014 at 5:48 PM Post #3,618 of 22,954
Jun 23, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #3,619 of 22,954
Hpa8 is amazing, perhaps too much dac amp for the 846 1500$ Fostex.

Bit big to strap to an iPod :0 Also HUGO Shiny

You don't need a dac for your iPod then, mainline it and the sound is fine. It doesn't take much to power these. Hpa8 has shiny lights inside that you can see if that matters.

Jun 23, 2014 at 5:59 PM Post #3,620 of 22,954

Heard this combo on Saturday at the Chicago Headfi meetup. Best I have ever heard the 846s sound. The Hugo is what I left this meet salivating over. The biggest WoW effect of any of the gear I heard (which included Oppo's amp and headphones, the HiFiMan 560, and the AK240). 

How much % better does the 846 sound with the Hugo in comparison to the iPhone 5S you think? I'm thinking about buying the Chord Hugo myself.

Jun 23, 2014 at 6:05 PM Post #3,622 of 22,954
You don't need a dac for your iPod then, mainline it and the sound is fine. It doesn't take much to power these. Hpa8 has shiny lights inside that you can see if that matters.

at £1500 pounds I shall indeed continue to "mainline" into my iPod.
Man the slippery slope is all over this "hobby"

Jun 23, 2014 at 6:51 PM Post #3,624 of 22,954
I'd wager the 846 is one of the few headphones that would EQ just fine down at that range thanks to the multiple drivers. 

Jun 24, 2014 at 9:43 AM Post #3,625 of 22,954
  I'd wager the 846 is one of the few headphones that would EQ just fine down at that range thanks to the multiple drivers. 

Oh yeah. I sometimes use GoldenEars's app Accudio Pro to EQ on some songs and the SE846 shows no distortion. My W3's and W4's had difficulties to say the least. Accudio also has the sound profiles for the different filters on the 846 which helps when equalizing.   

Jun 24, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #3,626 of 22,954

Oh yeah. I sometimes use GoldenEars's app Accudio Pro to EQ on some songs and the SE846 shows no distortion. My W3's and W4's had difficulties to say the least. Accudio also has the sound profiles for the different filters on the 846 which helps when equalizing.   

Equalize? Never. IMO. You have the wrong headset, the wrong dac/amp, listening to the wrong tunes.

Jun 24, 2014 at 10:06 AM Post #3,627 of 22,954
Equalize? Never. IMO. You have the wrong headset, the wrong dac/amp, listening to the wrong tunes.

A few songs I have are not well mastered because they are remixes so I use the EQ to help with that. Certain tracks I listen to are more for background music rather than really listening to them. But sometimes when I feel sleepy, I up the EQ on the sub bass and bass a couple dB and feel my chest vibrate. Wakes me up every time. 

Jun 24, 2014 at 10:17 AM Post #3,628 of 22,954
So no EQ? So for every cd a whole new set up is needed? Like this cd engineered by this engineer so I need to use this earphone and this amplifier and Dac to duplicate that cd then on another cd engineered by another then use another earphone, amplifier and dac? I say if you have the power (EQ) use it.

Jun 24, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #3,629 of 22,954

That seems to be a nice little app. Thanks for calling it out.

Jun 24, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #3,630 of 22,954
So no EQ? So for every cd a whole new set up is needed? Like this cd engineered by this engineer so I need to use this earphone and this amplifier and Dac to duplicate that cd then on another cd engineered by another then use another earphone, amplifier and dac? I say if you have the power (EQ) use it.

Its an opinion and yes my tune selection has gravitated slightly to the types of production that maximizes enjoyment through my amp/cans. My point being is that purists search for the type of high quality amp can pairings that make equalization a distortion so to speak of the original master. The production has been equalized that you equalize and add a layer of tweaking. Flatline is king, if everything else is correct. But hey, I don't dish anyone's attempts to reach perceived audio nirvana, I reach it with no eq.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back