Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jun 24, 2014 at 10:38 AM Post #3,631 of 22,960
Its an opinion and yes my tune selection has gravitated slightly to the types of production that maximizes enjoyment through my amp/cans. My point being is that pursers search for the type of high quality amp can pairings that make equalization a distortion so to speak of the original master. The production has been equalized that you equalize and add a layer of tweaking. Flatline is king, if everything else is correct. But hey, I don't dish anyone's attempts to reach perceived audio nirvana, I reach it with no eq.

I am glad you focus on a certain recording and you are enjoying it without using EQ.

Jun 24, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #3,632 of 22,960
Equalize? Never. IMO. You have the wrong headset, the wrong dac/amp, listening to the wrong tunes.

I also hate EQ'ing, but "the wrong tunes" actually made me sad. Like I got honestly a little depressed at the thought of someone just hunting around for music that sounds good on their headphones.

When I audition headphones, I never pick music I don't normally listen to. Maybe that's the difference between an audiophile and a musicophile, but I'll take it. If you're changing what music you listen to in order to fit your headphones, then you really aren't a music lover. You're just trying find whatever makes those speakers vibrate well. Like you have no actual emotional attachment to any music.

Why would you want headphones if you don't have music you want to maximize? I don't get it...

Jun 24, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #3,633 of 22,960
I met so called Audiophiles (some are a mere 21 years of age) who only listen to non vocal theater music and they are in Music heaven when they play it. The walk around with 3 bricks in their hand and a rope for a cable (Which at times I also do) and they play theater sounds and some tunes are covers of famous songs but without the vocals and they explain how the sound stage is etc.

Jun 24, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #3,634 of 22,960
Equalize? Never. IMO. You have the wrong headset, the wrong dac/amp, listening to the wrong tunes.

I also hate EQ'ing, but "the wrong tunes" actually made me sad. Like I got honestly a little depressed at the thought of someone just hunting around for music that sounds good on their headphones.

When I audition headphones, I never pick music I don't normally listen to. Maybe that's the difference between an audiophile and a musicophile, but I'll take it. If you're changing what music you listen to in order to fit your headphones, then you really aren't a music lover. You're just trying find whatever makes those speakers vibrate well. Like you have no actual emotional attachment to any music.

Why would you want headphones if you don't have music you want to maximize? I don't get it...

Don't be sad, I'm very very happy. I consider myself non of the above and have spent many years listening to vast array of genres. I figure no one here is better than anyone else and labelling folks with no knowledge of what you speak, presumptuous and a little pretentious.
There have always been flat line audiophiles, we exist, and if a compressed tune from the 70 or 80,s is less preferred than seeking out different genres and new production techniques, well thats the burden we bear.

Jun 24, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #3,635 of 22,960
Don't be sad, I'm very very happy. I consider myself non of the above and have spent many years listening to vast array of genres. I figure no one here is better than anyone else and labelling folks with no knowledge of what you speak, presumptuous and a little pretentious.
There have always been flat line audiophiles, we exist, and if a compressed tune from the 70 or 80,s is less preferred than seeking out different genres and new production techniques, well thats the burden we bear.

To better understand your new Taste in music what are those genres and new productions? I am not saying I know more or you dont. I only know what I enjoy and what I have experienced.

Jun 24, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #3,636 of 22,960

To better understand your new Taste in music what are those genres and new productions? I am not saying I know more or you dont. I only know what I enjoy and what I have experienced. desert dwellers for some downtempo world and karsh kale also amazing.....

Its not new tastes but with th900 hpa8, I use the 846 as outdoor ipod vehicle and has somewhat close acoustic signature ( not as good but good enough) love the jazz musings of EST and say avisha cohen trio, blues classics of archie shepp in 81 or miles davis 61,  electronic, downtempo, classical like js sabestian bach orchestra or olafar arnolds, even old school like this mortal coil sounds fantastic. I could go on as I have 85 gigs of tunes. no equalization necessary.

Jun 24, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #3,637 of 22,960
  Its not new tastes but with th900 hpa8, I use the 846 as outdoor ipod vehicle and has somewhat close acoustic signature ( not as good but good enough) love the jazz musings of EST and say avisha cohen trio, blues classics of archie shepp in 81 or miles davis 61,  electronic, downtempo, classical like js sabestian bach orchestra or olafar arnolds, even old school like this mortal coil sounds fantastic. I could go on as I have 85 gigs of tunes. no equalization necessary.

Haha you mentioned EQ again got you, you enjoy the music as it is. Glad you like Mortal Coil I seen them live many times in Florida back in the day.

Jun 24, 2014 at 12:28 PM Post #3,639 of 22,960

I have to agree with the no EQ sentiments. I do not like the artificiality that, to my ears, EQ adds to sound. The filter changes on the 8s is to me an organic not electronic change to the music.

I am also careful to only use FLAC/ALAC files and in a lot of cases of old recordings I own multiple remasters of the same album to find what is the best.

Jun 24, 2014 at 2:26 PM Post #3,640 of 22,960
Ok, after owning this sleeves for a while, I have since modified the length of the tube so it is not as intruding into the ear canal, which means they are easier to take in and out (just like a normal ear tip), is more comfortable and brought some air back. I have to conclude they are really the best tips for your SE846 and I am a big fan of westone star tips and comply foam but the silicon blew them apart and here's why;

Notice that its way shorter now- easy in and out.

1) Before using these silicon, Comply and Weston star tips are about the best I can pull the sub bass out of SE846, now with this silicon thing, the sub bass becomes very obvious (at least +2 or more) and the mid bass (+2). The impact is so awesome, so good I can feel the vibration of the drums slamming into me.. u know that kind of impact when you stand next to a floor standing speaker, it felt like that.. I have turn the SE846 more into the TG334 bass qty but still maintain the lovely Sub woofer that we all came to love in the first place.

2) The treble is slightly reduce, but now with a shorter bore, the treble came back a little, I decided to cut away some tip after careful studying of other CIEM. The original one is too long, it stick deep into the canal and take too much effort to pop in and out. With a shorter bore, its more airier and pop in and out is as easy as using comply now. I can now chit chat with people without getting all frustrated. I have always stick to white filter, so for people who find it slightly treblely, the silicon completely cut off all sibilance yet still have more treble than blue filter. Its like in between white and blue. very very nicely balance on the treble. I suspect lot of people will love it.

3) With comply, its about the most comfortable tip I can find, now with this modified silicon tip, the comfort level goes beyond comfort, as one cannot feel the silicon anymore after 15mins. The silicon becomes your skin and your skin is the silicon, you can't distinguished them apart after a while. To bring the feeling back, I need to physically touch the tip. That is really really awesome..

4) The vocal which is already so lush and romantic, is now even more so with silicon. It feels even more body and intimate now. Male vocal sound more chesty and female is so intimate now. The effect can best be describe like this. Put on an ibud stock earphone (old version) and then push them deep into your ear canal, the vocal and bass start to get heavier and treble reduce slightly. The comply to Silicon felt exactly like that.. very nice. Dun try to push the 846 with comply deeper to experiment it, it wont work as there is not much diff, it needs to be a loose seal and a solid seal differences.

5) The Se846 with comply offer about the best isolation, I can still hear rubbing fingers next to my ears. With Silicon, I can't hear any rubbing fingers .. none. Its a very quiet world with silicon, I dun think you can hear baby cry in airplane at all even at low volume. Don't get me wrong, you can still hear people talking perfectly well when music stop, it just more quieter than comply foam.

6) With silicon, I have no fear of it wearing off like comply.. we all know comply dun last long, especially in hot weather, this little silicon withstand much daily wear and tear very well. Look at the above pic, its like new and all I did was to rinse it in the basin with water

7) I find that adding some hand moisturizer on the silicon facilitate easy in and out of my ear, there is less twisting up and down when putting on, with a shorter bore, I align the opening and twist it in once and then push inward alittle.. the seal is solid.

8) Sound stage becomes a bigger bubble overall. It feels a little taller (like church tall) but the width (left and right) remains unchanged. Experiment it yourself  with stock Ibud, push in with finger into your ear canal and the sound stage has more "music per sq inch"

9) The fit is perfect and seal will not break if you eat, walk, yawn, talk, smile. Super solid.

10) Bad thing now is it had a vacuum effect, pop in too fast, eardrum immediately felt the pressure.- NOt good.. 

Ok, I have list 10 reasons on the pros and cons. One caution note, I am not responsible for modifying the silicon if you over cut it and loose the seal. Its a risk in any DIY project and you may stand to loose the entire tip. Cut at your own risk.. for me, its worth the cut. I will not use it in its original form as it too much hassle to take in and out, and I dun like that feeling of having something so long pushing deep into the ear canal... never get used to it. So I cut it and it works perfectly now.

Jun 24, 2014 at 2:30 PM Post #3,641 of 22,960
Improvement does not surprise as achieving a seal does so much for uiem sq. How is the look when wearing though? Since I am so invested in SE846 :)rolleyes:) might have to test custom sleeves waters but am scared that will lead to ciem expenditure :p

Jun 24, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #3,642 of 22,960
     Not my way

Close to how I like it.

I agree with your EQ technique.

I ripped most of my music from CDs (even my music that pre-dates CDs was ripped from CDs). The ripping format is irrelevant because the dynamic range is limited by studio (or re-mastering) compression (as part of the “Loudness Wars”). I think a maxed out compressed song results in 1Khz thru 4Khz being loud and potentially fatiguing due to the nature of human hearing. By the same token, lower and higher frequencies are out of balance because (to my understanding) humans need higher decibel levels in these areas for balance. The result (with certain genres of popular U.S. music) is to raise the bass and treble.

Jun 24, 2014 at 2:39 PM Post #3,643 of 22,960
Improvement does not surprise as achieving a seal does so much for uiem sq. How is the look when wearing though? Since I am so invested in SE846 (
rolleyes.gif
) might have to test custom sleeves waters but am scared that will lead to ciem expenditure
tongue.gif

To be honest, I don't like the pink color sleeve look. I think black or blue makes me look more manly 
biggrin.gif
. The size is bigger so it fill up the ear almost 80%. It looks like wearing customs. Your are right about CIEM.. I am also experimenting and toying on that idea. The Roxanne thread scare the daylight out of me as some reporting fit issue and getting a refit takes another 8 months... one mention that he would rather have plastic surgery on the ear than getting a refit wait lol..

Jun 24, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #3,644 of 22,960
Improvement does not surprise as achieving a seal does so much for uiem sq. How is the look when wearing though? Since I am so invested in SE846 (
rolleyes.gif
) might have to test custom sleeves waters but am scared that will lead to ciem expenditure
tongue.gif

I agree there. Any tip (on my BA earphones) that can go in my ear without lube, is a tip I can't use.

Jun 24, 2014 at 2:50 PM Post #3,645 of 22,960
Quote:

Notice that its way shorter now- easy in and out.

One caution note, I am not responsible for modifying the silicon if you over cut it and loose the seal. Its a risk in any DIY project and you may stand to loose the entire tip. Cut at your own risk.. for me, its worth the cut. I will not use it in its original form as it too much hassle to take in and out, and I dun like that feeling of having something so long pushing deep into the ear canal... never get used to it. So I cut it and it works perfectly now.

Cool and brave ....but Can I ask a stupid question? Why did you Mod/cut the silicone yourself.? Why did you not just pop them back to Sensaphonics to do it for you ?

You have 30 days+ to have them make adjustments.  Especially as they have all those high-speed grinders, polishers and such for the job..
When I was having fit issues with mine Sensaphonics was quite prepared to make adjustments.Claudia explained about all of the toys(dental grinders/polishers and other things that go whrrrr) they have about for doing some and such things. Ultimately Claudia and I decided upon making new ones in "Full Shell" which it is believed will resolve my issues.

I applaud you for your daring. I for one feel I deserve a tickertape parade in NYC on July 4th just for changing the filters So this is something I would never try myself. This, for me, seems a job best left for those who do this for a living 

I am just asking and pointing out the option of having the SCS maker do the work for you all  for the price of a stamp. It is part of the service.

OT: sort of. What kind of cable are you using? I noticed in the picture its not "stock" (I said stock in context. Good for me) And dare I ask what such cable costs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back