Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jun 15, 2014 at 9:03 AM Post #3,301 of 22,945
  You could look at it this way most of what you have right now is better then what you had or was out 15 years ago so thats a good thing.

It certainly is! And like someone said little ways back in this thread, it's absolutely magical to live in a day and time when this level of sound is attainable in a mobile package.

That said, I'm a single man with the means to buy luxury items, so while I could just settle and say "yep this is all amazing", I have the option in front of me of seeking better.

We all have a hobby. Some of my coworkers travel the world, others buy designer clothing, do things with their cars. I stick my money in my ears. 

Jun 15, 2014 at 9:04 AM Post #3,302 of 22,945
  The 846's increase over the 535: just how significant is it?

For me - small but noticeable.   Nothing earth-shattering, however (I own both).

Jun 15, 2014 at 9:05 AM Post #3,303 of 22,945
Seems some said the DX90 was not that good and others say it was. I have the DX50 and DX100 and both are good and way better then from a phone or Apple. Thats just my opinion. Also the 846 is versatile so to my ears the 846 is a friendly earphone.

Jun 15, 2014 at 9:09 AM Post #3,305 of 22,945

It certainly is! And like someone said little ways back in this thread, it's absolutely magical to live in a day and time when this level of sound is attainable in a mobile package.

That said, I'm a single man with the means to buy luxury items, so while I could just settle and say "yep this is all amazing", I have the option in front of me of seeking better.

We all have a hobby. Some of my coworkers travel the world, others buy designer clothing, do things with their cars. I stick my money in my ears. 

Enjoy the hobby and hobbies is not always about logic or philosophy most of the time is the adventure and joy we get from it. If you have money laying around then go for it try new things and if you dont like it then sell it to the guys who want but dont have the money for the new stuff.

Jun 15, 2014 at 9:17 AM Post #3,306 of 22,945
  Enjoy the hobby and hobbies is not always about logic or philosophy most of the time is the adventure and joy we get from it. If you have money laying around then go for it try new things and if you dont like it then sell it to the guys who want but dont have the money for the new stuff.

Such is my plan! I actually sent a friend my old DT770s with my Fiio E11 and told him to just give me however much he thinks they're worth when he gets the money. I might just give away my Sony XBA-H1s like I did some Monster and Klipsch headphones to friends, relatives, or a friendly Head-Fi'er. 

And if the SE846 are THAT superlative, there's the faint possibility of my precious Pandoras finding a new home. Or perhaps they'll head toward Tyll so he can give them a review. 

Jun 15, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #3,307 of 22,945

Funny!  I also stick gobs of money in my ears. The interesting thing is that when I try to explain my hobby nobody gets it?  All I see are deer in the headlights look followed by the question "you spent how much on that thing"? 
beerchug.gif

Jun 15, 2014 at 12:08 PM Post #3,308 of 22,945
I got some comments too. But I just ignore it :)

Jun 15, 2014 at 4:21 PM Post #3,311 of 22,945
Welp. I am now the ever so slightly hurting owner of SE846. Immediate thoughts:

• Oh hey there kick drum. I forgot about you.
  • Wow these are comfy.
  • That is a BIG case for these things.
  • Who would use these with anything but the white filter?
  • Read the instructions before changing filters.
  • They don't pair with a Nexus 5 especially well, but not terribly either. 

Jun 15, 2014 at 4:28 PM Post #3,312 of 22,945
  Welp. I am now the ever so slightly hurting owner of SE846. Immediate thoughts:

• Oh hey there kick drum. I forgot about you.
  • Wow these are comfy.
  • That is a BIG case for these things.
  • Who would use these with anything but the white filter?
  • Read the instructions before changing filters.
  • They don't pair with a Nexus 5 especially well, but not terribly either. 

Regarding #4, I use the blue filters.  I find the white too bright for my liking.

Jun 15, 2014 at 4:49 PM Post #3,313 of 22,945
  1. They don't pair with a Nexus 5 especially well, but not terribly either. 

More a Nexus 5 thing imo. Good price / performance and hope it is not the swan song for the Nexus programme but headphone out not as good as for example iDevice or Sansa Clip Zip

Jun 15, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #3,314 of 22,945
More a Nexus 5 thing imo. Good price / performance and hope it is not the swan song for the Nexus programme but headphone out not as good as for example iDevice or Sansa Clip Zip

Oh yeah, it's definitely a Nexus deal. But some headphones will play nicely with the N5, these seem not to quite as well (which I suspect is more to their compliment). 

Right now I'm trying to figure out if the right side is faintly quiet or if I'm just hearing things. 

EDIT: Disregard, it's a fit thing. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back