Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
May 29, 2014 at 9:33 PM Post #2,791 of 22,954
..wrong thread.  
biggrin.gif

May 29, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #2,792 of 22,954
Currently I am looking to upgrade to a better DAP. The 8s and I are off to NYC for a few days tomorrow. Are there any good electronics stores left in NYC. Chicago is knee deep in such establishments but as I will be in NYC that will do me no good.

Part of me (the prudent part)says leave the 846s at home unbox the 535s and take them. The What side of me (the side of me that bought the 846s) says take the 846s. (Rhapsody in Blue while walking the through the Manhatten)

The odds of me losing them are not great BUT there is Murphy's law to consider and with my customs arriving next week I fear I may be tempting fate Need/Want what will win?

Again any suggestions for a good place to get a DAP in NYC would be much appreciated. I do like the iBasso but they do not distribute in North America.

If the Sony ZR1 was available n North America (promises promises Sony) I would likely get that. I know it is not as "good as the DX90 but considering I am moving from an iPod Classic (not quite an 8 track player but) I am taking a step up.

May 29, 2014 at 9:48 PM Post #2,793 of 22,954
  Currently I am looking to upgrade to a better DAP. The 8s and I are off to NYC for a few days tomorrow. Are there any good electronics stores left in NYC. Chicago is knee deep in such establishments but as I will be in NYC that will do me no good.

Part of me (the prudent part)says leave the 846s at home unbox the 535s and take them. The What side of me (the side of me that bought the 846s) says take the 846s. (Rhapsody in Blue while walking the through the Manhatten)

The odds of me losing them are not great BUT there is Murphy's law to consider and with my customs arriving next week I fear I may be tempting fate Need/Want what will win?

Again any suggestions for a good place to get a DAP in NYC would be much appreciated. I do like the iBasso but they do not distribute in North America.

If the Sony ZR1 was available n North America (promises promises Sony) I would likely get that. I know it is not as "good as the DX90 but considering I am moving from an iPod Classic (not quite an 8 track player but) I am taking a step up.

Maybe try B&H?  They sell Fiio X3/X5 and the Astell & Kerns.

May 29, 2014 at 10:03 PM Post #2,794 of 22,954
After several years of tinkering in midfi I finally saved enough pennies to acquire my end game rig (for now anyways). 

I am blown away by the sound.

May 29, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #2,795 of 22,954

Maybe try B&H?  They sell Fiio X3/X5 and the Astell & Kerns.

I have been on their site I was hoping for more. The AK is still a little steep for my wallet. But with iBasso unavailable and SONY keeping their best away from America )back in the day it was just Canada that got the short end of the Katana.

J&R just closed too. What is this world coming to. First Times Square becomes "family friendly" and now no longer the cool mecca( in North America) of toys. In my youth you could get electronics in NYC that were only otherwise available in HK and Japan (in my day I had hair) . Such is life. I suppose if I just keep running it in my head I will end up with an AK unit. (Need/Want, Need/Want.....)..That is how I ended up buying the 8s

May 29, 2014 at 10:31 PM Post #2,796 of 22,954
  I have been on their site I was hoping for more. The AK is still a little steep for my wallet. But with iBasso unavailable and SONY keeping their best away from America )back in the day it was just Canada that got the short end of the Katana.

J&R just closed too. What is this world coming to. First Times Square becomes "family friendly" and now no longer the cool mecca( in North America) of toys. In my youth you could get electronics in NYC that were only otherwise available in HK and Japan (in my day I had hair) . Such is life. I suppose if I just keep running it in my head I will end up with an AK unit. (Need/Want, Need/Want.....)..That is how I ended up buying the 8s

Wow - didn't realize that J&R was closing, at least temporarily.

May 29, 2014 at 11:08 PM Post #2,799 of 22,954
Doesn't that go without saying spook? The better question is did he throw his stock cable in the waste bin? Cheers!

Haha I didn't get a balanced to se connect so I can't do that.

The soundstage had increased along with better clarity and imaging. The difference is very noticeable. The bass has tightened up and extends deeper.

Edit: I remember demoing the JH16's (non-fp) at Jaben in 2010 (w/ a yulong amp and dac). It was quite some time ago but I remember my jaw being on the shop floor. The 846's balanced with a proper source is a step above.

May 30, 2014 at 12:32 AM Post #2,801 of 22,954
  What I have not tried but had considered is a white filter in one ear and the blue filter in the other ear. Just curious to hear the effect is what it  would sound like in my head when the two slightly different streams crossed in my head.

Better that mixing white and blue filters....how about using (2) different IEM's - one brand for the Left and a different brand for the Right. Just think of the possible combinations....just boggles the mind thinking of all the possible combinations...
eek.gif

May 30, 2014 at 12:39 AM Post #2,802 of 22,954
I've been using the BaX cable for the past day and the build quality seems good. They almost feel like string, there is hardly any rigidness to them especially from the y-split to the iems. The only thing that I noticed right away is that they tangle easily which was annoying. I'm a little concerned about the jack end because the shrink wrap is not very long so there is more wear at a smaller point in the wire. 

Sound wise, the BaX makes everything a little darker. The highs are restrained ever so slightly. I think as a result they seem a little less detailed with less separation between instruments. Lower frequencies are emphasized a bit more. The bass has a little more rumble to it. All of the differences are in a small degree which made it difficult to make immediate first impressions. I think people who have some sibilance problems might consider this cable and to increase bass a little too. I was using the white filter with the SE846 and for me it works well. For me, the white filter took too much off the lower frequencies but had better highs than the other filters. This cable kind of puts the sound in between the blue and white filter. I will add impressions after longer period of use if any of my thoughts change.

May 30, 2014 at 1:25 AM Post #2,803 of 22,954
May 30, 2014 at 5:28 AM Post #2,804 of 22,954
I was def expecting treble disaster but after i got the 846 i really don't get what people are complaining about.
My advice is,stop listening to sibilant and treble prone headsets and retune your ears.
Sound doesn't get much better than this in a iem:)

May 30, 2014 at 7:30 AM Post #2,805 of 22,954
  This cable kind of puts the sound in between the blue and white filter. I will add impressions after longer period of use if any of my thoughts change.

Impedance doing what it do.  Simple as that.  Use it with a Westone... less bass.  Use it with an Etymotic... more treble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back