Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Dec 25, 2015 at 7:55 AM Post #13,666 of 22,954
@NaiveSound

If you take a filter tube and look at it, there are two sides - an "open end" that faces to your ear canals and a "closed end" that goes into the SE846. The open end is where you take out the foam/sponge filter in order to perform the blue filter mod, but be careful (if you use a needle or such) not to peak in too deep so that you don't damage the acoustic damper on the "closed end".

Usually it is not that easy to damage the acoustic damper on the "closed end", but some folks however managed to do so...

Thank you kind sir, and what would be the main difference between modded blue vs stock white filters?

Dec 25, 2015 at 8:00 AM Post #13,667 of 22,954

Thank you kind sir, and what would be the main difference between modded blue vs stock white filters?

I haven't tried myself (I am no modder and modding is king of against my personal audio philosophy), but people have reported that there are some differences and the modded blues sound brighter than before, but slightly less bright than the withes (iIrc). Not much surprising, as it is likely that the acoustic dampers at the "closed end" might have different acoustic impedance.

Dec 25, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #13,668 of 22,954

From my experience, the modded blue gives you a touch more bass impact with only a slight reduction in treble. Think of the modded blue as between the blues and the whites but closer to the whites. Of course it could be all expectation bias.

Dec 25, 2015 at 3:53 PM Post #13,670 of 22,954
Well thank you guys, I did it and indeed you get better bass while (like you friends explained) the treble is slightly reduced.

I'm just not impressed with the dx80...i just got it 2 days ago and I liked it at first but now I see that the dx90 is simply better.

Unless the mojo just dominates, I wonder (if I get the mojo) can I plug mojo in my note 5 and be fine or does the mojo need a good source too?

Dec 25, 2015 at 6:04 PM Post #13,671 of 22,954
I'm just not impressed with the dx80...i just got it 2 days ago and I liked it at first but now I see that the dx90 is simply better.

Why is that so? Interface or sound issues?

Dec 25, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #13,673 of 22,954
Just doesn't sound impressive, it doesn't have a wow factor, I like everything else but the sound, it's not very engaging or clear with my se846

My experiences were similar with dx90 which is why i posted in the past in this thread to prevent  potential buyers to pair it with se846.Just because it has dark backround and doesn't hiss with the shure,doesn't mean it's a good match if the sound is unengaging,thin and weightless.Others disagree,Headfonia thinks is a very good match but we've seen users disappointed in this thread with  this pair.Daps with good synergy with se846 according to users here:Fiio X5,Sony ZX1/ZX2,Ak100ii,Questyle qp1r.Either sell DX80 and go for one of those or get a mojo like we said in which case the Dx80 becomes storage for music and the Dac/amp duties replaced by mojo.

Dec 25, 2015 at 6:56 PM Post #13,674 of 22,954
My experiences were similar with dx90 which is why i posted in the past in this thread to prevent  potential buyers to pair it with se846.Just because it has dark backround and doesn't hiss with the shure,doesn't mean it's a good match if the sound is unengaging,thin and weightless.Others disagree,Headfonia thinks is a very good match but we've seen users disappointed in this thread with  this match.Daps with good synergy with se846 according to users here:Fiio X5,Sony ZX1/ZX2,Ak100ii,Questyle qp1r.Either sell DX80 and go for one of those or get a mojo like we said in which case the Dx80 becomes storage for music and the Dac/amp duties replaced by mojo.

Yup AK100ii does it for me, then Mojo takes it to another level. Only thing is you gotta stack.

Dec 25, 2015 at 8:02 PM Post #13,677 of 22,954
Can I just sell. Dx80 ND get a mojo and plug mojo in my phone? Or buy a cheap basic player?

S6 Edge + -> Mojo -> SE846 sounds amazing.
Much better than my FiiO X5ii -> SE846.

Dec 25, 2015 at 8:11 PM Post #13,678 of 22,954
Can I just sell. Dx80 ND get a mojo and plug mojo in my phone? Or buy a cheap basic player?

If you dislike the sound, no point keeping it. Get the Mojo then. Very clear and clean transparent sound. Beats all the DAPs I've heard.

Dec 25, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #13,679 of 22,954
If you dislike the sound, no point keeping it. Get the Mojo then. Very clear and clean transparent sound. Beats all the DAPs I've heard.

Thank you, I'm about to pull the trigger on it, I wonder if mojo will sound good with my note 5, or if I have to have a dap to play.

What. Other DAP have you heard just so I can gauge it even better

Dec 25, 2015 at 11:36 PM Post #13,680 of 22,954
Thank you, I'm about to pull the trigger on it, I wonder if mojo will sound good with my note 5, or if I have to have a dap to play.

What. Other DAP have you heard just so I can gauge it even better

FiiO X3 and X5ii, AK100ii. The Mojo should go well with whatever you plug it to bcos it uses its own DAC component. So if you connect it to the DX80 or Note it'll just use their interface and take over the sound from there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back