Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Mar 24, 2015 at 9:28 AM Post #10,277 of 22,960
What is your source gear / files?

There is no need to be constantly changing filters. The filters are I think designed to be more than "a bit of foam" since the whites have no foam at all. My advice would be to stick with the black filters only for a period of time and use the black olives in the appropriate size. I think it might just be a case of adjusting to the sound. I know I found the 8's a bit overwhelming at first. I've now progressed from Black to blue to whites over a period of a few months.

Mar 24, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #10,278 of 22,960
True- the blacks cut back on the treble (though too bass-y for me as well).  The blues are smooth.  The whites have apparently as much treble as Shure wants us to have.  I've found that changing tips helped get more treble.  I tried a bunch, settled on the Comply with the white filters, good seal gives good timbre and the treble is as good as it's going to get.  I second the idea of using the olives and giving things a week.

Note also that these iems can be very frustrating if your source material isn't perfect.  I'll be listening to a track and grumping about lack of treble or weak bass and then another track comes on and it's PERFECT.  I think that these iems show up ALL of the good or bad in a track.  So, bad track equals bad experience.  Make sure what you are listening to is made well (don't know your tastes, but Van Morrison doesn't put out bad-sounding music).  The Beatles remasters are perfect to me.  Stevie Wonder, same thing.  Find some tracks that are really well-made and listen to them.  Try to keep it to CD-rip or better (no flames, please, we are testing here).

Mar 24, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #10,279 of 22,960
Also, make sure when changing these filters, you line-up the red dots. Very important. And that they are seated properly. This made a World of difference. If not, you may be getting the results I once did. I hated them until I read and got the advice from these forums. So helpful here.

Mar 24, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #10,280 of 22,960
There is no need to be constantly changing filters. The filters are I think designed to be more than "a bit of foam" since the whites have no foam at all. My advice would be to stick with the black filters only for a period of time and use the black olives in the appropriate size. I think it might just be a case of adjusting to the sound. I know I found the 8's a bit overwhelming at first. I've now progressed from Black to blue to whites over a period of a few months.

Haha..... 'You talkin' to me?'

You quoted me but I don't even own them.
Was curious what may cause the harshness as I'm in the market. :wink:

Mar 24, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #10,281 of 22,960
Haha..... 'You talkin' to me?'

You quoted me but I don't even own them.
Was curious what may cause the harshness as I'm in the market.
wink.gif

sorry I was quoting avl06. That's what happens when you're on your phone in a busy place 
blink.gif

Mar 24, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #10,282 of 22,960
Also, make sure when changing these filters, you line-up the red dots. Very important. And that they are seated properly. This made a World of difference. If not, you may be getting the results I once did. I hated them until I read and got the advice from these forums. So helpful here.

Thank you, didn't have them lined up right when I went back to non mod blues. A lot more intimate sound now. Course I'm not sure about red dots, but they were just not quite flush so thanks for that.

Mar 24, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #10,283 of 22,960

Thank you, didn't have them lined up right when I went back to non mod blues. A lot more intimate sound now. Course I'm not sure about red dots, but they were just not quite flush so thanks for that.

I wish Shure had done a locking mechanism with the filter installation.  I'm pretty OCD with stuff like this, so I repeatedly remove it/put it in until I'm convinced it's seated correctly.  Rather than the red markings, I look at where the notch on the filter housing goes into the groove in the earphone and line up the insertion that way.  But still, the way the filter housing can still tilt and easily move out of place bugs me.  But how I check is to try rotating the housing while it's seated.  If it doesn't rotate, then it should be in place.  Then when I screw in the cap, I try very carefully to not knock the housing out of place.

Mar 24, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #10,284 of 22,960
I wish Shure had done a locking mechanism with the filter installation.  I'm pretty OCD with stuff like this, so I repeatedly remove it/put it in until I'm convinced it's seated correctly.  Rather than the red markings, I look at where the notch on the filter housing goes into the groove in the earphone and line up the insertion that way.  But still, the way the filter housing can still tilt and easily move out of place bugs me.  But how I check is to try rotating the housing while it's seated.  If it doesn't rotate, then it should be in place.  Then when I screw in the cap, I try very carefully to not knock the housing out of place.

I was installing the way you do. For some reason my left channel sounded really bad. So, I went with the lining-up the red dots a described in the Shure User Manual. It made all the difference in the World. YMMV

Mar 24, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #10,285 of 22,960

I usually turn the filters slowly while applying very gentle pressure  . You can easily feel them "drop down" and lock in so you can't turn them any more. 

Mar 24, 2015 at 10:07 PM Post #10,287 of 22,960
I usually turn the filters slowly while applying very gentle pressure  . You can easily feel them "drop down" and lock in so you can't turn them any more. 

Like what Khan did to activate the genesis device?

Mar 24, 2015 at 10:23 PM Post #10,288 of 22,960

Users who are viewing this thread

Back