Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Mar 23, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #10,261 of 22,960
Hi all, I'm looking for a small cable upgrade for my se846.  Don't want to spend more than $100.  This is new territory for me, so need some advice.  Some concerns:

- What's the difference between copper and silver?
- Looking for a cable without memory wire.
- The prices can get pretty crazy for cables.  What are some decent budget places to order from?  I've been scanning through some ebay listings, but although they look good in the pictures, worried about quality.  Has anyone had success with these?
- Do the mmcx connectors on third-party cables generally work for our IEM?  I've read some people complaining about them falling off.  Does it help to take that little gold ring off?

Thanks!

Mar 23, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #10,262 of 22,960
  Thats exactly true for me, I need to ask the store owner to make up a fake invoice for a smaller amount and make the purchase in person on cash basis to avoid any audit trail. As I never purchase any HI-FI for more than twenty years and I need the best I can afford now, I jump direclty to SE846 and AK120II. I really amazed at how good the sound this combination can produce compared to those of twenty years ago. I just have the courage to change to white filter today. It sounds very nice in the treble with good extension with those DSD64 files and I didn't notice any decrease in Mid or bass. I think I will stick to this with the balanced copper cable for a while.

LOL,

Damn, you should work for the mob....

I would highly recommend setting a monthly budget with the significant other where you get equal amounts to spend on whatever, no questions asked. Then you either have or setup a PayPal account each, and use PayPal credit so you can purchase interest free for those items that will take a few months to pay off. Also PayPal is a must on trade here. The caveat is that you need to be already very disciplined in keeping your budget and cash flow within the agreed amounts.

That's how I managed to afford an AK240. It will take a few months of discretionary budget to pay off, will need to sell a few things in trade, and will miss a few rounds of golf. All my significant other sees from our bank account is the PayPal withdraws that are within our agreed budget. This completely resolves the questions of "what and why do you need it". And trust me, it absolutely 100% goes both ways.

15 years married and still going strong....

Mar 23, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #10,263 of 22,960
I hear you bflat, every family has a different story, you can't put your value to judge what others do is right or wrong. I am financially sufficient to spend those money and don't need to borrow from banks /PayPal to pay for the luxurious HI-Fi items. However the spouse will not understand why you can't listen music thru the Smartphone and earbuds and don't want you to spend those kind of money. In this way, I can keep the marriage for 30 years.

Mar 23, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #10,264 of 22,960
Miss a few rounds of golf???
Get your priorities straight!!!

Mar 23, 2015 at 3:34 PM Post #10,266 of 22,960
Miss a few rounds of golf???
Get your priorities straight!!!

LOL no dobut. Also I was trying not to be judgmental in my first post, but just what I consider practical where spouse understanding is insurmountable. Apologies to anyone who read it that way. It also was not a plug to go into short term debt. It was more on staying on a strict monthly budget regardless of whether you could afford in one shot. At least for my spouse there is a monthly limit to "no questions asked and don't care what you do as long as it makes you happy". Of course staying within our wedding vows is implied!

The golf decision is one I use a lot to test how much I really want to spend on something that I won't be using on the golf course. In the case with the SE846 (to stay on topic) it was a no brainer since my last IEM's drivers crapped out on me. The AK240 was a long internal debate which I rationalized by saying I would take some extra practice at the driving range instead of playing.

Actually the one time my spouse actually told me I HAD TO GET SOMETHING BETTER was when I got Beyer DT880 and she couldn't stand the open backs and told me I had to get closed. Hence my T5P :)

Mar 23, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #10,267 of 22,960
Is it too cold for golf yet? and I don't play golf either. My priority now is HI-FI.

It is here, paid my annual membership this month, can't wait to swing. Wouldn't mind new hybrids but spent to much on double helix fusion hybrid 8 braid cable and a chord hugo, we all got issues.

Mar 24, 2015 at 3:56 AM Post #10,271 of 22,960
OK so I may have made a big mistake here.

I'll admit they were an impulse purchase at the airport. I hadn't done my research. But I'd read a lot about them in passing over the years - one thing I thought I knew for sure, they were smooth.

They are not smooth. Not in the treble they are not smooth. In fact I find the treble edgy, grainy, harsh.  I'm beginning to hate them.

I'm also beginning to hate the whole filter thing. This is certainly my error - constantly taking off the tips, unscrewing, changing the "filter" (i.e. bit of foam") re-screwing etc - I hate all of that so much right now.  Urgh. (never thought I'd complain about too much screwing in a public forum)

I've ordered some custom sleeves and its too late to cancel them so maybe that will help but I doubt it. I don't think its a seal issue anymore - I don't find them too bright, 'just ' unpleasant

Any ideas? Cable upgrade - copper or silver?  But I'm seriously wary of throwing good money after bad, and thinking maybe I should just stick these up for sale.

New ears?

Help?
confused_face(1).gif

confused_face_2.gif
redface.gif

Mar 24, 2015 at 4:08 AM Post #10,272 of 22,960

I'll admit they were an impulse purchase at the airport. I hadn't done my research. But I'd read a lot about them in passing over the years - one thing I thought I knew for sure, they were smooth.

They are not smooth. Not in the treble they are not smooth. In fact I find the treble edgy, grainy, harsh.  I'm beginning to hate them.

I'm also beginning to hate the whole filter thing. This is certainly my error - constantly taking off the tips, unscrewing, changing the "filter" (i.e. bit of foam") re-screwing etc - I hate all of that so much right now.  Urgh. (never thought I'd complain about too much screwing in a public forum)

I've ordered some custom sleeves and its too late to cancel them so maybe that will help but I doubt it. I don't think its a seal issue anymore - I don't find them too bright, 'just ' unpleasant

Any ideas? Cable upgrade - copper or silver?  But I'm seriously wary of throwing good money after bad, and thinking maybe I should just stick these up for sale.

New ears?

Help?
confused_face(1).gif

confused_face_2.gif
redface.gif

Really sounds like you have a defective set. Using the standard blue filter I can't imagine hearing what you describe unless you simply cannot get a reasonable seal. I would send them back to Shure for checking with your description. I wonder if you are getting the bass you should? You can use the short test on the Sensaphonics  web site to see if you are really getting a good seal. The 846 is only 9 ohms so you must be aware that some sources won't work. An impedance mismatch can cause that.

Mar 24, 2015 at 4:20 AM Post #10,273 of 22,960

New ears?

Help?:confused_face(1):  :confused_face_2: :xf_eek:  

What is your source gear / files?

Mar 24, 2015 at 4:29 AM Post #10,274 of 22,960
  Not in the treble they are not smooth. In fact I find the treble edgy, grainy, harsh.

Assuming you are using your DX90/Hugo as source the problem definitely is not avoked by the source's output impedance (the higher the output impedance gets the more upper treble and bass the SE846 will get) I think the problem is caused by the 8.5 kHz peak:

For me, it is very present with the white filters (that's why I almost never use them) and still present with the blue filters yet not annoying and I definitely don't have a seal issue and don't think you do.
I suggest trying out the other tips the SE846 came with.

Mar 24, 2015 at 8:58 AM Post #10,275 of 22,960
Treble harshness?  My only quibble with the 846 is there's not enough treble.  Either a source/file issue or you've got a defective pair.  When I went back to my FidueA83s after using the 846, to do a comparison, then I heard harshness/grain in the Fidues.  The 846 is really smooth, especially with the blue filters.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back