Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Mar 12, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #9,991 of 22,960
I thought I was getting a sufficient enough seal with the olives.  I guess not!

I feel like I'm hearing the 846's true sound now.  It sounds so good.  Going through and re-listening to my fav tracks.

I think Shure should put in big bold font on the box "SQ largely dependent on seal/tips!!"  I sure there are lots of knocks against these IEM's from people that haven't really heard them.

If anyone has posted on here knocking the SE846 due to perceived loss of bass/FR, there's someone who usually recommends that they change their tips (to something like the Westone STAR Tips) or if they still can not get a sufficient deep seal and isolation, they can invest in the SCS.

Mar 12, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #9,992 of 22,960
Ok
I have both as well, I think the t10 fair well against the 8s considering the price. Yes, 8s do sound better, but not 3 times better, not even close. I could have just purchased t10 and been happy... But once you get "bit" you always want more. If you are not hard core into this, and really enjoy bass, t10 is a cheaper, although excellent alternative. If you are the type of person that wants more, and knows it's out there, don't waste your time or $. Or if your like me and just love the look of them along with design (only reason I purchased) then get them. The build quality is beyond impressive.
I have both as well, I think the t10 fair well against the 8s considering the price. Yes, 8s do sound better, but not 3 times better, not even close. I could have just purchased t10 and been happy... But once you get "bit" you always want more. If you are not hard core into this, and really enjoy bass, t10 is a cheaper, although excellent alternative. If you are the type of person that wants more, and knows it's out there, don't waste your time or $. Or if your like me and just love the look of them along with design (only reason I purchased) then get them. The build quality is beyond impressive.

Takes nothing away from my 8s...which are my end game setup. 8s have been the best overall performers I've found, and I've learned a lot along my journey. Number one is, don't forget why we came here, to enjoy our music more, which is what I've been doing for several months now. :laughing:

Takes nothing away from my 8s...which are my end game setup. 8s have been the best overall performers I've found, and I've learned a lot along my journey. Number one is, don't forget why we came here, to enjoy our music more, which is what I've been doing for several months now. :laughing:

Ok great, well, I would get the t10i but there not in stock at bestbuy or anywhere,
I really don't like ordering online and then "waiting" haha

Mar 12, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #9,993 of 22,960
Once again, the custom folks must be giggling about all the fuss over ear tips. The fact that Shure advertises the custom tips on their own product page is a good indication of "you just spent a grand on these so don't cheap out on the tips". I will probably go this route, but my biggest hangup is getting the impression done. I'm imagining this to be like a trip to the dentist. Can someone describe the experience?

Mar 12, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #9,995 of 22,960
I hear you... Waiting sucks. Apple store? Amazon prime you literally get it in a couple of days.

A couple days' wait for an IEM is a lot better than waiting 6-8 weeks and possibly longer for other manufacturer's C/IEMs (such as Noble and JH Audio), that's for sure!

Mar 12, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #9,997 of 22,960
How do you order SCL from UK - the link on the Sensaphonic site is broken?

Has any one tried other makes, like Snugs?

I'm assuming you mean the "SCS". Please contact Claudia (saveyourears@sensaphonics.com), and she can help you out with the entire process. If you search the thread, I posted some info regarding the SCS and the UK as well. Also, feel free to PM me with any questions. As for Snugs, I did not like the fact that they ripped off the exact same SCS (regular, not full shell sleeves) photo from Sensaphonics' website and posted it on their own website. Monty and I discussed this earlier in the thread as well.

Good luck! :bigsmile_face:

Mar 12, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #9,998 of 22,960
I am not that happy with how the clear stock cable wrap around my ears.  Is there an even more flexible 3rd party cable?  I read that the Shure cable for the 846 with volume control cannot be bend to a greater degree for the ears at all.
thanks for any directions here.

Mar 12, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #9,999 of 22,960
  I was a bit worried if I didn't like them.  agiprodj has a 15% restocking fee.  But I figured if I didn't I could sell them close to what I paid.

They also don't accept returns of headphones and the like.. for hygienic reasons... Be aware.

Mar 12, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #10,000 of 22,960
  I will probably go this route, but my biggest hangup is getting the impression done. I'm imagining this to be like a trip to the dentist. Can someone describe the experience?

Not even close.. they squeeze some sort of a pasta goo into your ear canals with a syringe, wait a few minutes and pull it out. Funny feeling, but not even discomfortable.

Mar 12, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #10,001 of 22,960
Holy moly!

I wasn't supposed to be home for a couple of days, but when I was advised that my Toxic Cables Silver Widow cable had pitched up, I had to come home early and plug it in...

I've never been a full believer of cables, but - with the ability to AB (or, well, with the Hugo, AA or BB) - what a difference!

I'm going to give the cables (and my ears) time to adjust / bed in, but - yes, on zero hour impressions, definitely a believer now :)

Mar 12, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #10,002 of 22,960

Not even close.. they squeeze some sort of a pasta goo into your ear canals with a syringe, wait a few minutes and pull it out. Funny feeling, but not even discomfortable.

What materials are these custom tips? Do they last for years?  Do they feel a lot different from the Shure foam and silicone tips?
Most importantly, do you even know that they are on?
Thanks,

Mar 12, 2015 at 8:35 PM Post #10,004 of 22,960
Long time reader, first post.

I've been experiencing the same filter frustration that some of you others have; jumping back and forth from blue to white, then back to blue sans foam, then back to blue with foam. Anyhow, I've managed to solve the issue by cutting each foam in half with an exacto-knife. The SE846's sound as close to perfect as I could possibly ask for. 

For reference, I'm running the SE846's with a Moon Audio Silver Dragon balanced cable, from an AK100II.

Mar 12, 2015 at 8:57 PM Post #10,005 of 22,960
Those are tiny foams to cut but happy to hear it works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back