Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Mar 12, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #10,006 of 22,960
Congratulations you made the 10,000 post on this thread. I think I speak for all of us, especially Jelt who started this thread, we need a life. :).

LOL, nice!

Mar 12, 2015 at 9:38 PM Post #10,007 of 22,960
  What materials are these custom tips? Do they last for years?  Do they feel a lot different from the Shure foam and silicone tips?
Most importantly, do you even know that they are on?
Thanks,

Sleeves are made of medical grade soft-silicone. They should last for years, but the ear canal anatomy changes over time.. so you might need to redo them in 5 years or so (or if you suddenly drop 50 lbs of weight). It's silicone, not acryl, so it allows some play anyway. They are way way way more comfortable than any universal tip (I've tried them all). I absolutely hated those, my ears got sore in 10 minutes. You certainly feel they're there, then they warm up nicely and you get used to them and stop really noticing...

Mar 12, 2015 at 9:42 PM Post #10,008 of 22,960

Sleeves are made of medical grade soft-silicone. They should last for years, but the ear canal anatomy changes over time.. so you might need to redo them in 5 years or so (or if you suddenly drop 50 lbs of weight). It's silicone, not acryl, so it allows some play anyway. They are way way way more comfortable than any universal tip (I've tried them all). I absolutely hated those, my ears got sore in 10 minutes. You certainly feel they're there, then they warm up nicely and you get used to them and stop really noticing...

Is there a brand I should get for the SE846?
Thanks

Mar 12, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #10,009 of 22,960
  Is there a brand I should get for the SE846?

Sensaphonics, of course.

http://www.sensaphonics.com/for-shure-earphones

Mar 12, 2015 at 9:47 PM Post #10,010 of 22,960
  Long time reader, first post.

I've been experiencing the same filter frustration that some of you others have; jumping back and forth from blue to white, then back to blue sans foam, then back to blue with foam. Anyhow, I've managed to solve the issue by cutting each foam in half with an exacto-knife. The SE846's sound as close to perfect as I could possibly ask for. 

For reference, I'm running the SE846's with a Moon Audio Silver Dragon balanced cable, from an AK100II.

I'm using the same cable with a Pono, blues with no foam, Westone Star shorties.  

Mar 12, 2015 at 9:52 PM Post #10,011 of 22,960

Sensaphonics, of course.

http://www.sensaphonics.com/for-shure-earphones

$150 and you can use the stock Shure cable?  Not bad.
How much is the ear doctor fee?

Mar 12, 2015 at 10:01 PM Post #10,012 of 22,960

$150 and you can use the stock Shure cable?  Not bad.
How much is the ear doctor fee?

I even had a $25 NAMM discount, so it only cost me $125 + shipping. :)

Yes, however stock cable in combination with SCS is an absolute ass with that memory wire getting in a way.. I'm looking for some (cheap) replacements... nothing so far.

Doctor's fee - it depends. I had mine done for like 15 bucks. Some folks in California shell out up to $100... Find a Gold Circle audiologist in your area and give them a call.

http://www.sensaphonics.com/sensaphonics-audiologist-network

Mar 12, 2015 at 10:15 PM Post #10,013 of 22,960

I even had a $25 NAMM discount, so it only cost me $125 + shipping. :)

Yes, however stock cable in combination with SCS is an absolute ass with that memory wire getting in a way.. I'm looking for some (cheap) replacements... nothing so far.

Doctor's fee - it depends. I had mine done for like 15 bucks. Some folks in California shell out up to $100... Find a Gold Circle audiologist in your area and give them a call.

http://www.sensaphonics.com/sensaphonics-audiologist-network

I am liking the idea for this style of use more and more.
No more squeezing of the foams with dirty fingers in the subways to re-insert after conversations.
I gather I can simply pull and insert these customs as quickly as putting on a headphone?

Mar 12, 2015 at 10:33 PM Post #10,014 of 22,960
I am liking the idea for this style of use more and more.
No more squeezing of the foams with dirty fingers in the subways to re-insert after conversations.
I gather I can simply pull and insert these customs as quickly as putting on a headphone?

Overall, faster.

Take a read at my SCS review (in my signature and profile) when you are able to, and it should be able to answer a lot of your questions and more. If you need any questions answered, you can email Claudia at Sensaphonics (saveyourears@sensaphonics.com) or PM me if you'd like.

Mar 12, 2015 at 11:12 PM Post #10,015 of 22,960
Overall, faster.

Take a read at my SCS review (in my signature and profile) when you are able to, and it should be able to answer a lot of your questions and more. If you need any questions answered, you can email Claudia at Sensaphonics (saveyourears@sensaphonics.com) or PM me if you'd like.

YOU are one funny guy!
Bite bar and Oto-Ease?
It's funny than Conan.

Mar 12, 2015 at 11:22 PM Post #10,016 of 22,960
Well after about 20+ hours of listening and trying various things, my airplane rig is now the following:

iPhone 6
ALAC rips from CD
Sony PHA-2 DAC (lightning to usb connection)
JDS Labs C5 Amp
Stock cable and stock white filters
Mushroom dome large tips (mistakenly thought these were small in my previous post)*

Quick notes on the different configs:

All cases, mids were fine to my ears

iPhone 6 only - good bass, but slightly loose, good highs, but some roll off, decent sound stage
iPhone 6 and JDS Labs C5 - bass tight but slightly lacking, extended highs but a little harsh, better sound stage
Config above - nice tight bass with good sub bass extension, extended highs just right to my ears, best sound stage

For true portable, iPhone by itself is fine. My initial impression of just iPhone was mistaken and I did not have my ALAC files available at the time. Perhaps burn in helped but it's about 90% of my airplane rig. Adding a 75 ohm impedance adapter only made the sound worse in all cases - muted highs, boomy bass, compressed sound. At least I have $30 airplane audio attenuator made from premium components. I hated the low quality one that came with the $1K Shure SE846. Even the one I had from my old TF10 was 100x nicer than Shure's.

My silver Litz cables are still in process from Headphone Lounge so will report back once I get those.

*My apologies, if anyone ordered wrong size based on my post. the Amazon vendor will swap them out at no charge. Just need to mail back to them.

Mar 12, 2015 at 11:48 PM Post #10,017 of 22,960
YOU are one funny guy!
Bite bar and Oto-Ease?
It's funny than Conan.

Well that's a first - not sure how those were funny to you, but glad you got a kick out of it, nonetheless. The review states that I did not use a bite bar (bite block), and as for Oto-Ease, just explaining that it could be used in case the SCS is difficult to insert. In most cases you do not even need any lubricant for the SCS because your naturally created cerumen by itself aids in insertion.

Oh, and Conan is hilarious. So is Kevin Hart - their tandem antics are really comical.

Mar 12, 2015 at 11:54 PM Post #10,018 of 22,960
Well that's a first - not sure how those were funny to you, but glad you got a kick out of it, nonetheless. The review states that I did not use a bite bar (bite block), and as for Oto-Ease, just explaining that it could be used in case the SCS is difficult to insert. In most cases you do not even need any lubricant for the SCS because your naturally created cerumen by itself aids in insertion.

Oh, and Conan is hilarious. So is Kevin Hart - their tandem antics are really comical.

clearly, my drinks were talkng for me...

Mar 13, 2015 at 1:19 AM Post #10,019 of 22,960
this is what i did for my SE846.

i took the smallest foam tip that came in the box and remove the stem.

then i ordered the westone star tips and stuff the foam into the tip.

As you can see the foam does not cover the whole inside of the startips.

which is good as the tip reaches deep inside my ears. so now i have a slight tapered tip and a straight body.

the comfort is so much better with startips. and with the foam supporting it i have the perfect seal.

those with startips can give this trick a try.

Tip: use a foam sleeve that is one size smaller than wat u actually use so it doesn't fully stretch out and causing discomfort on your ear canal. the foam is there to isolate and prevent the tip sleeve from collapsing too much.

hope this helps some of you.

Mar 13, 2015 at 2:05 AM Post #10,020 of 22,960
PChoon I'll give that a try over the weekend, as much as I can sort of hear what the startips bring to the table, for me they add a slightly nasty edge to the top end, which the olives don't, logically though the startips have much higher durability than the olives, so - the above guide looks like a great idea :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back