Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Mar 3, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #9,736 of 22,960
CORRECTION - my original post noted "small" size when in fact the samples I got were "large". I ordered 10 smalls and the vendor was able to swap them out with large. All I had to do was pay a couple bucks to mail the smalls back.

I just got a couple of these as free samples:

Mushroom dome ear tips

I have to say, I am wearing the large size now (from small olives) and they are pretty darn comfortable and give the same audio characteristics as the olives. These are really tight seals and stay put. So far I have tried the following:

Small olives - tight fit, tight seal, great sound, but causes pain in my left ear after about an hour.
Klipsch large oval silicon - lighter fit, tight seal, just a tad less sub bass, causes slight pain in both ears after about 2 hours.
Mushroom dome - tightest fit, tight seal, great sound, TBD on how long I can wear before pain (if any).

In regards to comfort, the olives and Klipsch make the shell fit flush with my ears so that there is a lot of contact almost like a custom IEM. This is also causing some pressure on parts of my ear which creates a dull pain with extended wear. The mushrooms on the other hand, don't fit as flush and there is less contact of the shells to my ears. It's a minute difference of 1-2 mm but I think this will solve the pain issue for me.

Mar 3, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #9,738 of 22,960
Well after chasing my tail for an hour here are my conclusions. Without a filter on full afterburner, the 8s are more resolving but it is still too fatiguing and the width of the soundstage is materially smaller.

The black filter does have a smoother treble I would put it between the stock blue and white.

However, I am back to the white filter where I started as it is more resolving than the black (sans foam) but never fatiguing and the soundstage is greater than the no filter.

I will not qualify my conclusions with the idiotic phrase "your mileage may vary" as in the audio world all we have is our own perceptions of the sound to base conclusion upon so of course your mileage WILL vary.

While I am on a rant, may I also point out the term "price point" is also completely idiotic. Look the word "price" up in Websters Dictionary it means the same as "price point". We add a adjective "price" to the noun point without realizing the single word "price" is the same. It reminds me of regardless and irregardless. One is a word "regardless" the other is gibberish as the prefix is not only confusing but meaningless.

This reminds me when I was a junior associate on an merger deal, the bankers at Goldman Sachs said to us attorneys "we need some dedicated bandwidth on this issue". What they meant was we need a junior associate (me) to be their bitch. I am sure the bankers thought they were being very clever coming up with that phrase but my fellow attorneys on the call had to mute the call as we were falling out of our chairs laughing at them.

Okay back to the forum.

What tips were you using for your comparison? Thanks

Mar 3, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #9,739 of 22,960
What tips were you using for your comparison? Thanks

The blue Westone Star Tips (silicone). Having owned the 535 before the 846 I have had 4 years to try all tips (Shure, Westone, UE and Comply just to name four) with 2.5mm nozzles and for my ears the Star Tips give me the best fit, comfort, isolation and sound.

For anyone wondering how good their seal is Sensaphonics has a good test to check:
http://www.sensaphonics.com/test

Mar 3, 2015 at 5:26 PM Post #9,741 of 22,960
The blue Westone Star Tips (silicone). Having owned the 535 before the 846 I have had 4 years to try all tips (Shure, Westone, UE and Comply just to name four) with 2.5mm nozzles and for my ears the Star Tips give me the best fit, comfort, isolation and sound.

For anyone wondering how good their seal is Sensaphonics has a good test to check:
http://www.sensaphonics.com/test

Thanks - Agreed on the Stars. I've tried lots of different tips with the 846's as well and the Stars are the ones I usually use. Comply P100's are probably second best for me but the Stars are also much more convenient than the P100's - Just shove 'em in 
bigsmile_face.gif
 and they also give the most detailed sound IMHO. Tried the Sensaphonics test a few times - I never have much trouble getting a good seal.

Mar 3, 2015 at 7:05 PM Post #9,742 of 22,960
I love treble and am finding no issues with the 846.  They aren't as bright as the Altone200, but that iem can be fatiguing if the source material is bright as well.  With the white filter I am a happy camper.  I may try modding the black filters and seeing how that sounds, as I have no desire to use them as they were meant to be used (I don't want a bass-ier experience).

Mar 3, 2015 at 9:38 PM Post #9,743 of 22,960
OK, I'll admit it, I was curious.  I tried the black filter mod.  Actually pretty nice, but I'm not sure how long I can listen before it begins to wear me out.  Loads of detail in the uppers, good bottom end.  Now I'm wondering what would happen with the blues if i......

Mar 3, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #9,744 of 22,960
OK, I'll admit it, I was curious.  I tried the black filter mod.  Actually pretty nice, but I'm not sure how long I can listen before it begins to wear me out.  Loads of detail in the uppers, good bottom end.  Now I'm wondering what would happen with the blues if i......

You can also try with other material- eg cotton wool- to replace the foam :)

Mar 4, 2015 at 5:47 AM Post #9,745 of 22,960
I just got a couple of these as free samples:

Mushroom dome ear tips

I have to say, I am wearing the small size now (from small olives) and they are pretty darn comfortable and give the same audio characteristics as the olives. These are really tight seals and stay put. So far I have tried the following:

Small olives - tight fit, tight seal, great sound, but causes pain in my left ear after about an hour.
Klipsch large oval silicon - lighter fit, tight seal, just a tad less sub bass, causes slight pain in both ears after about 2 hours.
Mushroom dome - tightest fit, tight seal, great sound, TBD on how long I can wear before pain (if any).

In regards to comfort, the olives and Klipsch make the shell fit flush with my ears so that there is a lot of contact almost like a custom IEM. This is also causing some pressure on parts of my ear which creates a dull pain with extended wear. The mushrooms on the other hand, don't fit as flush and there is less contact of the shells to my ears. It's a minute difference of 1-2 mm but I think this will solve the pain issue for me.

Those look interesting... How's the isolation compared to the Olives?

Mar 4, 2015 at 8:49 AM Post #9,746 of 22,960
My Filter Progression 

So I started with the blues of course - I actually found them a bit fatiguing so I switched to the blacks after a couple of days. Used the blacks for a couple of months, then went back to the blues which I then thought sounded much better than the blacks - sharper sound, more clarity, better highs and vocals compared to the blacks which now sounded muffled. After 3 months with the blues, I was pretty happy with them and always thought the whites would be too bright and fatiguing. anyway, tried the whites yesterday and loved them immediately! Everything sounded "clearer', more separation, drums had more snap - they sounded faster as well. while I have tried tons of different tips, my impressions are primarily with the silicone Stars. Anyway, I will listen to the whites for a few more days to see if my option changes - I think a lot of this may depend on one's mood - whether you just want to relax with the music, use it as background on a commute, etc.  or "really listen" to it. I wish it were a little easier to change the filters - it's not hard but I just can't see myself swapping them out every day, depending on mood or music.

Mar 4, 2015 at 1:16 PM Post #9,747 of 22,960
Those look interesting... How's the isolation compared to the Olives?

Isolation is as good or better than the olives for my ears. The flange is pretty thick and there is a very slight tackiness to the surface.

Mar 4, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #9,748 of 22,960
Love the sleeves!! But, oh my god, I hate the stock cable with them - the memory wire is just getting in the way! I think I will start looking for something lighter and more flexible.

Mar 4, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #9,749 of 22,960
Nice!! Are these the 'Crystal Pink' option?
It's nice that they send the impressions back. I hate having to spend $90, again.

I was quoted 14 business days, last Wednesday. Can't wait for mine to arrive.

Mar 4, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #9,750 of 22,960

Users who are viewing this thread

Back