Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Mar 2, 2015 at 9:39 PM Post #9,722 of 22,960
Just a fyi I ordered my Sensaphonics about a month ago and I'm supposed to receive them tomorrow. Lisa said at the time that because of the big show in Anaheim they were backed up six weeks. Can't wait!

Got the tracking # from Sensaphonics today. Should be here by Wednesday!

Sounds great for both of you! Hopefully everything will fit impeccably and your satisfaction of the SE846 will elevate even more so.

Nice! When they arrive, could you post some pics and your thoughts on them, as far as sound, comfort, and especially isolation (as compared to the foam tips)? I'm seriously considering some...

If you haven't yet, please take a look at the SCS review (in my signature and profile) as you'll be able to read more SCS impressions immediately.

Mar 2, 2015 at 10:49 PM Post #9,724 of 22,960
Mar 3, 2015 at 4:57 AM Post #9,725 of 22,960
  Looks like I´ll be joining the SE846 club soon too. I had the 530 a long time ago and while I loved the midrange, I felt the bass was too timid for mainstream music. When the SE846 was launched I read all the reviews and so on, only to discover that distribution in the EU is pretty tight compared to the US. Shure seems to be even more expensive than Westone here these days. Thomann (largest online pro audio store in EU) for example sells the SE846 at a "nice" price of 1100 euros. So I grind my teeth and forget about it was it just felt too much to pay almost twice what the Sennheiser IE 800 costs over here...

Until today when I noticed that a Swedish online store sells them for 850 euros (awesome price considering how high VAT and import costs are!) and Shure´s warranty is global! So to celebrate my year or so absence from Head-Fi I´ve decided to continue my journey with the IEM I have been most interested in for quite a while already. I´ll try to post an in depth comparison against the Sennheiser IE 800 and Fischer Amps FA4-XB which have been my daily go-to IEMs lately. Last but not least, how much bigger is the shell compared to the Shure 530/535? I´m a bit worried that it might be too big, it looks pretty bulky in pictures... I know the Shure tips fit me perfectly though so it´s just the shell that I´m a bit worried about.

Go to assessoryjack ... they sell it for like 700 euros. I bought stuff there before 

Mar 3, 2015 at 4:59 AM Post #9,726 of 22,960

YRMV...

I can't seem to get a comfortable seal with any silicon tips on my 846s.  Shure Olives work well; but Comply med comfort+ are by far the best.  ~30s after insertion for full seal being very true in my experience; but I can leave them in for hours after.  I will say it's a bit of a PITA @ work though; someones walks over to say, 'nice job on X' and waits for me to take IEMs out and nod a curt 'thanks' before walking away.      I tend to put other headphones on after that to minimize downtime.

I tried the Westone star tips on the se846 and they really improve the sound and are quite comfortable! 

Mar 3, 2015 at 9:36 AM Post #9,729 of 22,960
Hello guys, I have a question. I have listened to these a few times and like them. Some people say they lack treble extension and that was not obvious to me on the brief sessions I had. What could you be missing with this lack of extension? How does it materialise in the sound?

Just buy it, three filters to get all the extension you may require.

Mar 3, 2015 at 9:46 AM Post #9,730 of 22,960
Depends how much upper end you want/need.  Are they overly bright/have sibilance?  No.  With the stock blue filters they are smooth across the fr, with a good amount of bass, forward mids that are lush, and trebles that are there but not really "obvious,"  Lots of detail in all areas.  With the white filters, the treble becomes much more obvious, again with no overt brightness or sibilance.  I love treble, this was the worry for me, and I like them just fine.  Do they give you the really obvious (dominating?) upper end of an Altone 200?  No.  No one frequency dominates.  But the treble, with the whites, is "there," you can hear it just fine, plenty of detail in it.  

Mar 3, 2015 at 9:53 AM Post #9,731 of 22,960
Hello guys, I have a question. I have listened to these a few times and like them. Some people say they lack treble extension and that was not obvious to me on the brief sessions I had. What could you be missing with this lack of extension? How does it materialise in the sound?

Extension is how high the treble would reach into the higher frequency range. For example, some people say the low end of an IEM lacks extension which would indicate early roll off and in the same example lack of deep sub-bass. Same story with the treble regions but in the higher frequencies.

Mar 3, 2015 at 10:05 AM Post #9,732 of 22,960
The SE846 doesn't have much treble energy above 10kHz as there is a rather sharp roll off (I guess it could be due to the small single bore tube as the SE535 and 425 also lack of that treble extension).
Compared to other IEMs and headphones, you may notice it lacks some high treble sparkle.

Mar 3, 2015 at 10:07 AM Post #9,733 of 22,960
Sometimes a little treble roll off isn't a bad thing, especially for longer listening session. Number one culprit of early fatigue imo.

Mar 3, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #9,734 of 22,960
Many V-shaped IEMs have a peak in the middle treble before roll-off. This can cause sibilance to some ears.

However the 846 peaks earlier in the treble, which continues (imo) nicely from the strong midrange, and then dips afterwards, which leads to a weighter sound that is completely sibilant-free, but also sometimes lacking a bit in overall soundstage.

It also has a roll-off in the upper treble like many IEMs I've heard, although the 846's roll-off is indeed a bit steeper. This leads to a lack of treble airiness and sparkle, the effect of which is especially obvious in Electronic tracks, where many high treble notes are artificially synthesized in the music, and can sound soft on the 846.

Mar 3, 2015 at 11:17 AM Post #9,735 of 22,960
IMO the small comply TS-100 tips provide the most balanced and musical sound overall and i've tried most tips westone included.The stock olives with the net provide clarity but  are a bit harsh on the treble even with the blue filters.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Skev
Back