Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jan 4, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #8,626 of 22,960
Has anyone received this?
They gave this to me when i purchased the 846.
I was wondering if this will degrade the sound quality?

Sorry, buddy. I checked in my box- don't have it, so can't comment.

Jan 4, 2015 at 4:06 PM Post #8,627 of 22,960
  P.S. Is there any general consensus on the best amp to drive a set of headphones with such low impedance?

In addition to HTC One (M7), I'm going to drive them out of my desktop Schiit Asgard 2 which has ~0.6 Ohm output impedance in "Low Gain".

Jan 4, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #8,628 of 22,960
I'd be interested to hear your comparisons. I'm driving my 846s with a JDS C5D, or direct from my iPhone 6. To be perfectly honest, although I love the design and tiny form factor of the C5D, I'm not hearing any real improvement with the C5D (using both amp and DAC, via lightning camera connection cable) vs iPhone 6 on its own. Although the C5D has a slightly lower output impedance than the iPhone 6, it has a noticeable noise floor when used with the 846. I can detect no noise floor at all from my iPhone 6. Other than driving my headphone output to (even more) unsafe levels, I believe that with modern portable music devices such as the iPhone 6 (and probably HTC One also), there's no tangible benefit to using an external DAC and amp anymore. Of course, ymmv with older devices with older internal DACs and amps. (Check out Ken Rockwell's measurements of the iPhone 6 output. It beats many currently popular DAC/amp combos.)

P.S. The C5D has a decidedly lower noise floor than my 2013 MacBook pro, but by all accounts the improved DAC/amp in the 2014 MacBook Pro has taken care of this issue there too.

Jan 4, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #8,629 of 22,960
I'm finally done reading the whole thread. Whew. Took me almost 3 days, LOL. This is indeed one of the better threads on Head-Fi, and I've been here for a while. I'm waiting for my SE846 delivery early next week and can't wait to join the club of what seems to be a very nice crowd!

Jan 4, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #8,631 of 22,960
Welcome madwolfa! You're going to love your new headphones :)

It's going to be my first serious IEM. The most expensive one I've ever used was Sennheiser IE6 bought on eBay for like $60 and from the beginning I've got a strong feeling they were some Chinese knockoff. Now I actually love the sound of my $20 Sony earbuds (MDR-EX58) and wondering what something 50x more expensive can offer. 
biggrin.gif

Of course my main rig is Bifrost Uber/Asgard 2 with LCD-2F and I had a long history with HD600/650 before. Thinking (hoping) that 846 is going to hold their own. I'm not looking for a change in sound signature, but I'd appreciate more isolation, portability and intimacy.

Jan 4, 2015 at 10:26 PM Post #8,632 of 22,960
Well the SE846 is the reason I sold my HD600's & HD650's and one of the reasons I have talked myself several times out of buying another LCD-2, so hopefully they work for you too.

Jan 5, 2015 at 9:16 AM Post #8,633 of 22,960
Got permission to share this interesting story from a Vietnamese fellow Head-Fier, so I will... :)

"I have a friend working for Sonion's factory here and he showed me the bare drivers of the 846 (yes Sonion OEM-ed the 846 for Shure), which were mind blowing I might say. He said that even Sonion's main factory was incapable of miling those sophisticated low pass filter and Shure had to laser-carve them separately in the US."

Jan 5, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #8,635 of 22,960
Don't hate, but these are my impressions on the SE846 compared to an Audiofly AF180.

Bass is overpresented. Even bloated. Clarity isn't amazing.
Heir 3.ai ($300) can take on the SE846's vocals any day. build quality is what you'd expect from a mainstream product - it looks good, but it didn't cost $1000 to make.
The sound is pretty filling, vocals are forward but the 846 has good tuning, so instrument / vocal seperation works well. It's not worth the money, and you can get better for less. The bass is bloated and just messes with vocal tracks, which is ironic since the dynamic armature SE215 in blue enhances vocal tracks and costs roughly a tenth as much.
They say the SE846 is made for professionals, but if you tried to sing with it, the seal would break, possibly excluding that if you used foam tips.
But yeah, a lot of money on branding / mainstreaming = a lot of money for the end user.

Jan 5, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #8,636 of 22,960
Don't hate, but these are my impressions on the SE846 compared to an Audiofly AF180.

Heir 3.ai ($300) can take on the SE846's vocals any day. build quality is what you'd expect from a mainstream product - it looks good, but it didn't cost $1000 to make.
The sound is pretty filling, vocals are forward but the 846 has good tuning, so instrument / vocal seperation works well. It's not worth the money, and you can get better for less. The bass is bloated and just messes with vocal tracks, which is ironic since the dynamic armature SE215 in blue enhances vocal tracks and costs roughly a tenth as much.
They say the SE846 is made for professionals, but if you tried to sing with it, the seal would break, possibly excluding that if you used foam tips.
But yeah, a lot of money on branding / mainstreaming = a lot of money for the end user.

I'd be curious to know what tips you used and what source, as well as which filter. If you were to, say, use Westone silicones with the black then they're practically car-subwoofer bassy. Swap out for the blues with foams and suddenly it flattens out significantly. 

Jan 5, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #8,637 of 22,960
My Sensaphonics SCS are here! They are in that cool orange/yellow/clear. LOVE it!

Thanks @moedawg140 for the lobbying :)

Jan 5, 2015 at 2:47 PM Post #8,638 of 22,960
My Sensaphonics SCS are here! They are in that cool orange/yellow/clear. LOVE it!

Thanks @moedawg140 for the lobbying :)

As I said to you before, I wouldn't call it "lobbying", just trying to help and be of assistance in any way that I can.

Glad you like your new SCS, and enjoy! :bigsmile_face:

Jan 5, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #8,639 of 22,960
As I said to you before, I wouldn't call it "lobbying", just trying to help and be of assistance in any way that I can.

Glad you like your new SCS, and enjoy!
bigsmile_face.gif

Haha okay. Help and assistance, then. Regardless of choice of words, I appreciate it! Thanks again!

Jan 5, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #8,640 of 22,960

I'd be curious to know what tips you used and what source, as well as which filter. If you were to, say, use Westone silicones with the black then they're practically car-subwoofer bassy. Swap out for the blues with foams and suddenly it flattens out significantly. 

I had a store audition, using whatever filters were on the headphone. I used the stock foam, too.
Westone star tips aren't bassy for me, idk. I use the AF180 and I find them better than comply's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back