Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jan 2, 2015 at 3:09 AM Post #8,611 of 22,960
My first audiophile headphone was the e3c, about 15 years ago. Kept me happy for 5 years!

Wow, yeah you guys both pre-date me. I was aware of the Shure e-series and knew some folks who had them, but didn't pay much attention. I thought they were crazy for spending that kind of money. My first real ownership experience was with the SE530 (this was when the E500 was still being sold I think) I demoed either the E500 or SE530 and my jaw just dropped to the floor
basshead.gif
. I couldn't sleep that night because I kept thinking about the sound. The next day after a brief demo I bought them full MSRP
very_evil_smiley.gif
. If only I had not walked into that audio shop my life would have been different I think.

I also had the SE210 for exercising. That was great too if I recall. The cable went bad though eventually (out of warranty period
rolleyes.gif
)

Jan 2, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #8,612 of 22,960
FYI, AGIPRODJ are now selling SE846 at Elite Level Pricing - $799.99 / no tax. Just ordered my pair.

http://www.agiprodj.com/shure-se846-cl-sound-isolating-quad-driver-earphone-w-detachable.html

Jan 2, 2015 at 11:35 AM Post #8,613 of 22,960
I don't think the two seal rings are the same. I asked for the outer ring (months ago) and Shure sent me the smaller inner ring. I called back and was told the outer ring was not available.

I know they say the primary function of the outer seal is for protection, but I wonder if the outer seal ring also (sort of) acts as an airtight backup seal if there are slight cracks in the inner seal? Regardless, these seal components are weak links in an otherwise tank of an IEM.

HAPPY NEW YEAR everybody!

Tnx for reply and Happy New Year everyone :)

I saw some photos of the se846, and the size are different as you say.So i dont understand how he got the smaller innerseals sillikon rings to fit the end of the iems,when they are larger? But as long as its okey,and works fine it shouldnt be any problems.Its an service company and importer of shure's gear,so i guess they know what they do :)

Jan 2, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #8,614 of 22,960
Madwolfa my friend, you may be interested in this:

Quote:
  Oh, and if you're interested in saving a few hundred dollars from purchasing the SE846, you could do so by purchasing from Unique Squared. They allow potential customers to submit offers on items. I personally got my pair for $700. And don't worry about its legitimacy, I've confirmed with Shure that they're authorized dealers. I'll produce a link to them as well below.

http://www.uniquesquared.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=se846

Jan 2, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #8,615 of 22,960

Thanks, I have submitted my offer, but they say it will take time for them to respond.. as they're in the midst going through all the holiday offers.
My order from agiprodj is pending shipping, so if they don't respond in time,... I'll just get that.

Jan 2, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #8,616 of 22,960
Any experience with HTC One M7 + SE846 ? I have a feeling that it's going to be pretty good (I really like the sound I'm hearing), but I've never used my phone with anything better than $20 earbuds, albeit very solid ones.

Jan 2, 2015 at 11:15 PM Post #8,618 of 22,960
  Any experience with HTC One M7 + SE846 ? I have a feeling that it's going to be pretty good (I really like the sound I'm hearing), but I've never used my phone with anything better than $20 earbuds, albeit very solid ones.

I can say they sound very nice out of the M8. Grab yourself the neutron music player and be blown away. Unfortunately you will never be able to listen to crappy headphones ever again lol.

Jan 2, 2015 at 11:18 PM Post #8,619 of 22,960
I can say they sound very nice out of the M8. Grab yourself the neutron music player and be blown away. Unfortunately you will never be able to listen to crappy headphones ever again lol.

And so it begins...

Jan 2, 2015 at 11:21 PM Post #8,620 of 22,960

I hope that wouldn't include my LCD-2F :)

I also think I will be mostly listening to 846 through the main rig anyway (Bifrost Uber + Asgard 2 in Low Gain).

Jan 3, 2015 at 4:05 AM Post #8,621 of 22,960
Removed it. Just realised that halfway during my experimentation, I pressed the EQ button by mistake. Lol. Back to the drawing board.

Jan 3, 2015 at 12:56 PM Post #8,622 of 22,960
  I was wondering if anyone have a RWA/DIY iMod 5.5 generation.
How does the SE846 sound with an imod? Going to mod my iPod soon... and am excited to hear the results.

(FYI: I don't need a 24bit "hi-res" DAP at the moment. Most of my files are 16bit/44.1kHz ALAC, 320kbps MP3 and 256kbps AAC)

I have. It used to be the best I had in portability for 5 years with my UE10's and 535s.
But, comparing the combo to my alac files on my AK240…well, the 240 is world's above. Huge difference.

Honestly, I can't say that the iMod is all that much better than playing good 320 files off my LG G3 or iPhone 5C. 
Slightly smoother mids (probably the cap filtering) and a different soundstage, but not enough to write home about.

Jan 4, 2015 at 2:51 AM Post #8,624 of 22,960
Has anyone received this?
They gave this to me when i purchased the 846.
I was wondering if this will degrade the sound quality?

Without going into detail about my opinions regarding the auditory/sound quality differences between the earphone accessory cable and nickel-plated copper cable (stock SE846 cable), I would suggest for you to demo both cables and make the determination on which cable sounds better yourself - regardless of what people may post when it comes to their own opinions regarding their own auditory/sound quality differences between cables.

Jan 4, 2015 at 9:02 AM Post #8,625 of 22,960
I found those cables to be fragile.  My main issue was the angled plug.  The angle makes it easy to put pressure on the plug with your phone in your pocket.  My 3.5mm jack sheared off the black plastic part from regular use a few months after I got it.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back