Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Nov 24, 2014 at 4:39 AM Post #7,666 of 22,945
Thanks for clarifying your turnaround time, and for posting the photo of your SCS. Looks great and flows well with the SE846 clear housing.

Wow- these are soft silicon?? How's the comfort? In Chicago too, should have got them when I lived there..

Nov 24, 2014 at 9:04 AM Post #7,667 of 22,945
Thanks for clarifying your turnaround time, and for posting the photo of your SCS. Looks great and flows well with the SE846 clear housing.

Wow- these are soft silicon?? How's the comfort? In Chicago too, should have got them when I lived there..

The Sensaphonics Custom Sleeves are soft, but substantial. They are pliable, but completely stable. Difficult to explain, but the SCS feels like the pinnacle of silicone quality, in my honest opinion. The comfort is - please read the review below (in my signature) to find out and most everything else regarding the custom sleeves.

You can still purchase the SCS if you feel it is an investment that is right for you. Email Claudia from Sensaphonics, and I am certain she would be able to work out shipping arrangements for you - no matter where you currently reside.

Nov 24, 2014 at 9:40 AM Post #7,668 of 22,945
Thanks, I emailed them.

BTW, reading your reviews- what's the word on the black mod and the white mod filters? How do they sound?

Nov 24, 2014 at 9:54 AM Post #7,669 of 22,945
Well thanks to this thread and the ever gracious moedawg140's advice (plus being a shure fangirl) I pulled the trigger on the 846's a few nights ago.  I emailed John over at JDS about my first gen C5 amp and he said to send it back in and JDS will upgrade it from 2.2 Ω to .62 Ω to better suit the 846's. Plus tweak it a few more way's I desired. I can't recommend JDS enough, top notch company. 

When I return back from the country to an urban playground, I'm going to get impressions made for some SCS's, as I suspect my ear's may be too small for the 846's.

I like the looks of the ALO quad cable, but since nobody is posting in-ear shots and its too short for my tastes in length I'll assume its too heavy, ungainly and short for my needs. 

People recommend  Ted Allen for cables, and I'm sure I'll sound silly to most of you, but I don't like his Y-connect cinchers. I really like the design for of the factory 64 inch Shure cable, and like its memory wire and very much like the cincher on the shures. I have very long hair and the clear shure cable glides through my hair and never yanks any out. So cables that increase soundstage, but are pretty close to OEM designed ones, are what I would be looking for. 

Thanks everyone! 
ps I had been considering buying a K10 and picking up the 846 later this year, until I saw all that drama go down. o.O 

Nov 24, 2014 at 10:09 AM Post #7,670 of 22,945
Well thanks to this thread and the ever gracious moedawg140's advice (plus being a shure fangirl) I pulled the trigger on the 846's a few nights ago.  I emailed John over at JDS about my first gen C5 amp and he said to send it back in and JDS will upgrade it from 2.2 Ω
to .62 Ω
to better suit the 846's. Plus tweak it a few more way's I desired. I can't recommend JDS enough, top notch company. 

When I return back from the country to an urban playground, I'm going to get impressions made for some SCS's, as I suspect my ear's may be too small for the 846's.

I like the looks of the ALO quad cable, but since nobody is posting in-ear shots and its too short for my tastes in length I'll assume its too heavy, ungainly and short for my needs. 

People recommend  Ted Allen for cables, and I'm sure I'll sound silly to most of you, but I don't like his Y-connect cinchers. I really like the design for of the factory 64 inch Shure cable, and like its memory wire and very much like the cincher on the shures. I have very long hair and the clear shure cable glides through my hair and never yanks any out. So cables that increase soundstage, but are pretty close to OEM designed ones, are what I would be looking for. 

Thanks everyone! 

ps I had been considering buying a K10 and picking up the 846 later this year, until I saw all that drama go down. o.O 

Grats on getting the 846! Please post your impressions on the C5 pairing. :) The more I read about it, the more I'm leaning towards getting one again. However, I still probably won't use it on the go. It would be excellent for my laptop though. As for the K10, you and me both, sis. I've been looking into Earwerkz for the past few days, and their CIEMs look promising. I'll probably pull the trigger on them If see some good reviews come up.

Nov 24, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #7,671 of 22,945
Hi, I just bought the SE846 in a bundle with the ALO Audio SXC24 balanced cable.
I am now testing the difference to the original unbalanced cable and I'm interested to share impressions, as I am a bit confused about what I'm hearing...

Did anyone try this cable?

Nov 24, 2014 at 10:33 AM Post #7,672 of 22,945
Hi, I just bought the SE846 in a bundle with the ALO Audio SXC24 balanced cable.
I am now testing the difference to the original unbalanced cable and I'm interested to share impressions, as I am a bit confused about what I'm hearing...

Did anyone try this cable?

What's your balanced source?

Nov 24, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #7,673 of 22,945
Grats on getting the 846! Please post your impressions on the C5 pairing. :) The more I read about it, the more I'm leaning towards getting one again. However, I still probably won't use it on the go. It would be excellent for my laptop though. As for the K10, you and me both, sis. I've been looking into Earwerkz for the past few days, and their CIEMs look promising. I'll probably pull the trigger on them If see some good reviews come up.

EarWorkz!!! Definitely very interested in them as well.

Nov 24, 2014 at 10:40 AM Post #7,674 of 22,945
Grats on getting the 846! Please post your impressions on the C5 pairing.
smily_headphones1.gif
The more I read about it, the more I'm leaning towards getting one again. However, I still probably won't use it on the go. It would be excellent for my laptop though. As for the K10, you and me both, sis. I've been looking into Earwerkz for the past few days, and their CIEMs look promising. I'll probably pull the trigger on them If see some good reviews come up.

I will for sure write a small review on the 846 before and after amp upgrade. I will admit, I am in love with my little red friend. I'm anxious about parting with it for a few days while its being serviced. I switch hit between the 215-CL & 215-LTD with it for like 16-18 hours a day. Its digital pot has me so spoiled I got rid of all my other amps, and until more quality amps come out with digi-pots I'm not interested. The C5 is so crystal clear. I have the single position boost switch, and it adds a nice bit of color when I want it. I liked the design concept behind it, and most importantly watching John from JDS interact on head-fi, was so attractive, I just had to give this gentlemen my business out of principle of supporting fair American companies. When I annoy him through email, he gets back to me within ten minutes, he must sleep with his phone glue to his hand. To my ears the difference was night and day between the e12, e17, e07, HeadRoom Total Bithead Amp, ALO national and the JDS C5. I went from 6 amps to 1. :D 

Nov 24, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #7,676 of 22,945
I will for sure write a small review on the 846 before and after amp upgrade. I will admit, I am in love with my little red friend. I'm anxious about parting with it for a few days while its being serviced. I switch hit between the 215-CL & 215-LTD with it for like 16-18 hours a day. Its digital pot has me so spoiled I got rid of all my other amps, and until more quality amps come out with digi-pots I'm not interested. The C5 is so crystal clear. I have the single position boost switch, and it adds a nice bit of color when I want it. I liked the design concept behind it, and most importantly watching John from JDS interact on head-fi, was so attractive, I just had to give this gentlemen my business out of principle of supporting fair American companies. When I annoy him through email, he gets back to me within ten minutes, he must sleep with his phone glue to his hand. To my ears the difference was night and day between the e12, e17, e07, HeadRoom Total Bithead Amp, ALO national and the JDS C5. I went from 6 amps to 1. :D 

Well, I hope you receive your uograded amp soon. On the bright side, you can take the time to enjoy the SE846 sans amp and get to know its qualities. :p It's quite capable even without one.

Nov 24, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #7,677 of 22,945
  Well I hope that all of you are pleased with yourselves. Due to my chronic inability to resist temptation, an email was just sent to the nearest audiologist (nearly an hour away) to make an appointment to have impressions made. I WILL heed the lessons learned by reading the continuing saga's of moedawg, and be sure that my ears are very clean so that I will not need to repeat such a God awful trek...lol

Coolbeans, kino lau!  I am looking forward to your impressions and pictures on the review thread.  Hope you had the chance to take a look at all of the colors they offer (the swirl ones are interesting) - the Crystal Color custom sleeves have a see-thru quality to them.

Thanks, I emailed them.

BTW, reading your reviews- what's the word on the black mod and the white mod filters? How do they sound?

I have not tried out the white mod, but there is a user earlier in your thread that mentions how he/she likes them.

I liked the +2.5dB FR in the 1kHz - 8kHz region sound from the white filters already, so I modded the black filters because I disliked the black filters the most and didn't mind taking out the foam dampers.  I perceive a slight difference in sound, the treble, mids and highs are still crystal clear, but is slightly smoother.  I have posted in the past that this may be all placebo, but another modded black user confirmed that he perceived a different sound from the white filters as well - so that was great to read.  However, how each person perceives the modded black filters will be different.  Your mileage may vary.  

I also did not want to use any foam dampers because I have had the issue with sound cutting out when I worked out with the Westone STAR Fit tips and others, as sweat got into the nozzles and filled the left foam damper, cutting the sound completely out.  After contacting Shure support, they informed me that there could be dust, dander and sweat particles that could inhibit FR, so I did not want to take any chances with sound slowly cutting out or changing, so I took out the foam dampers.  I am aware that I can just replace the filters, as that was what I did originally before I purchased the SCS, but it didn't make me feel all warm and fuzzing inside paying $17 per pair of filters!  I purchased 2 pairs, plus shipping, so I paid around $40 total for the filters.  Yes, I know, ludicrous!

Well thanks to this thread and the ever gracious moedawg140's advice (plus being a shure fangirl) I pulled the trigger on the 846's a few nights ago.  I emailed John over at JDS about my first gen C5 amp and he said to send it back in and JDS will upgrade it from 2.2 Ω to .62 Ω to better suit the 846's. Plus tweak it a few more way's I desired. I can't recommend JDS enough, top notch company. 

Thanks everyone! 

Congrats on everything!  Thanks for the kind words as well, you are too sweet.

The ALO cable is 4.5 feet, and that is too short for my needs as well.  I like the long length of the SE846 longer cable (64 inches), so that is what I had Ted make my Silver Litz - 64 inches.

I PMed you a picture of Ted's different Y-connect cinchers.  I wanted as small and easy to manage as I could, so I just opted for his smallest and thinnest carbon fiber Y-connect.  Never gets in the way, and is simply understated elegance, in my opinion.

Oh, and I love it when companies are no-nonsense, and genuine.  Thank goodness Shure (and Sensaphonics) are definitely two companies that are like a breath of honest fresh air.  They let their products speak for themselves. 

Well, I hope you receive your uograded amp soon. On the bright side, you can take the time to enjoy the SE846 sans amp and get to know its qualities.
tongue.gif
It's quite capable even without one.

You hit the nail in the head, sir.  I adore the SE846 with my iPhone 6 and hi-fidelity music playback apps.  It is very convenient to carry around only one device that does everything that I want - which is take calls, text, apps, stream music and playback music.  I can even stream music wirelessly from my home PC/server to my iPhone via Tonido if I wanted to.  Versatility at its finest. 
normal_smile .gif

Nov 24, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #7,678 of 22,945
Ya as I stated in my original post the only negative with the ALO is 4.5 ft. Since they are made to order one could ask for longer? It's only money. It is a bit heavier but not un seemingly so. They just fit in and around your ears guys, you really don't need a shot, unless you have the 846 buried right into your ear canal, and if you do, that might not be healthy:)

Nov 24, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #7,679 of 22,945
Ya as I stated in my original post the only negative with the ALO is 4.5 ft. Since they are made to order one could ask for longer? It's only money. It is a bit heavier but not un seemingly so. They just fit in and around your ears guys, you really don't need a shot, unless you have the 846 buried right into your ear canal, and if you do, that might not be healthy:)

Help us out and send us an in-ear shot, Whazzzup. 
etysmile.gif

Nov 24, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #7,680 of 22,945

Coolbeans, kino lau!  I am looking forward to your impressions and pictures on the review thread.  Hope you had the chance to take a look at all of the colors they offer (the swirl ones are interesting) - the Crystal Color custom sleeves have a see-thru quality to them.

I'm curious about the cost of having the impressions done. The first email back from the audiologist office quoted a cost of $185, but I need to confirm that person that replied understands exactly what I'm looking to have done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back