Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Nov 23, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #7,636 of 22,945
I need to make that order before Moe kills me!!

ph34r.gif

Haha I heard the "wizard" is a good audiologist if you need impressions.
wink.gif

Nov 23, 2014 at 4:26 PM Post #7,637 of 22,945

So, here is a snap of my rigs. the foreground of course the 846 with new quad ribbon cable on top of the new vamp verza. the hpa8 and th900 in back ground.

After some intrepidation from hearing about problems with specialty cables and mmcx connector problems with the 846, I have to say none with the quad ribbon. Snapped on great and worked from the get go. Concerning sound improvement holy smokes did these things open it up and then some. probably the most significant sound upgrade i have witnessed. The only draw back if any besides price, is the 4.5 ft length as Id prefer a bit longer at 6 ft. Other than that, the vamp and these cables has unearthed biblical upgrade in dimension, depth, and clarity. Im freaking, recommend alo quad cables without any hesitation, just do it, warm up that credit card already. So I will depart and lie back and marvel at alisa weilerstein cello sonata, cheers.

Can you post more photos of just the 846 with new cable? How about an in-ear shot?

What's the issue with specialty cables and the 846? I have a 3rd party cable that is very popular on Head-Fi but have had to return it twice because the right channel drops out. Is this the issue you are referring?

Nov 23, 2014 at 4:34 PM Post #7,638 of 22,945

So, here is a snap of my rigs. the foreground of course the 846 with new quad ribbon cable on top of the new vamp verza. the hpa8 and th900 in back ground.

After some intrepidation from hearing about problems with specialty cables and mmcx connector problems with the 846, I have to say none with the quad ribbon. Snapped on great and worked from the get go. Concerning sound improvement holy smokes did these things open it up and then some. probably the most significant sound upgrade i have witnessed. The only draw back if any besides price, is the 4.5 ft length as Id prefer a bit longer at 6 ft. Other than that, the vamp and these cables has unearthed biblical upgrade in dimension, depth, and clarity. Im freaking, recommend alo quad cables without any hesitation, just do it, warm up that credit card already. So I will depart and lie back and marvel at alisa weilerstein cello sonata, cheers.

Can you post more photos of just the 846 with new cable? How about an in-ear shot?

What's the issue with specialty cables and the 846? I have a 3rd party cable that is very popular on Head-Fi but have had to return it twice because the right channel drops out. Is this the issue you are referring?

You skipped by it two pages ago, here it is again

Nov 23, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #7,639 of 22,945
Nov 23, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #7,640 of 22,945
Ok I'm not boring this thread again with this. It fits in your ears, no it does not cut out. It sounds amazing, everyone drop the 350 us$ and get it, you will not be unhappy. I suspect it's the best of silver and gold, kinda like Rudolph the red nose reindeer song sung by the snowman, except it's copper, we'll ignore this ramblings then. The ALO site has specks I also posted them a few pages ago.

Nov 23, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #7,642 of 22,945
Nov 23, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #7,643 of 22,945
Ok I'm not boring this thread again with this. It fits in your ears, no it does not cut out. It sounds amazing, everyone drop the 350 us$ and get it, you will not be unhappy. I suspect it's the best of silver and gold, kinda like Rudolph the red nose reindeer song sung by the snowman, except it's copper, we'll ignore this ramblings then. The ALO site has specks I also posted them a few pages ago.

I would much rather have you (and every other SE846 owner) come to CanJam in a few short months (March) so I can demo your ALO cable myself, and make the determination if I want to add it to my stable.  The cable does look rather thick/wide, which means the cable may look very interesting when it's in-ear.  I believe seeing the ALO cable in a person's ears (doesn't have to be your ears) will help curious members and lurkers to see how the cable looks when it is in-ear, and make the determination themselves if they do not mind how it looks.

Hope to see you there so I can try out your ALO cable! 
bigsmile_face.gif

Nov 23, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #7,644 of 22,945
Sorry moedawg won't be there, mrt-man sorry not convenient and no contact anyways. And finally no ear shots, sure it's a bit fat but you bend it free form style for your needs. I can't compare between cables but for anyone going from stock, it's a no brainer.

Nov 23, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #7,645 of 22,945
Nov 23, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #7,648 of 22,945
Nov 23, 2014 at 9:11 PM Post #7,649 of 22,945
Excellent review, great comparison . When you describe your dislike for the ak100 it is strictly due to the mismatch. The ak100 is 22ohms output, so 8 times the output , the headphones should be 176ohms to be matched correctly. The Shure se846 @ 9ohms is not compatible. Red Wine Audio converted my ak120 to below 1ohm and my se846's sound amazing now. The ibasso dx90 and hifiman 901 are under 1ohm . So those are a perfect matches for the Shure se846.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back